Where did you hear about CM - Part 2

So i finally went through the thread: found here http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=115676&highlight=Pelican+Pal

Some info I put together real quick.

There were 53 useable responses in the 7 page thread.

83% of respondents found the CM series before 2006. Of that 70% found CM before 2003.

CMBO was the first CM game for 64% of respondents.

Only 7% of users had a CMx2 game as their first game.

I tried to format this list several times but it only gave me trouble. So this is what y'all get.

Date From Game

2008 CGW CMBB

2004 local game store CMAK

2000 local game store CMBO

1999 gaming mag CMBO

2000 PC Gamer CMBO

2002 BF store CMBB

1998 search CSL CMBO

1998 BF store CMBO

1999 Close Combvat forum CMBO

2002 ? CMBO

1999 Bfstore CMBO

2013 BF store ?

1999 computer gaming world CMBO

2005 magazine CMAK

2001 CGW CMBO

2000 forums CMBO

2000 forums CMBO

1999 BF store CMBO

1999 BF store CMBO

2000 BF store CMBO

1999 CGW CMBO

2000 NY times CMBO

2000 PC gamer CMBO

2009 word of mouth CMAK

2004 pc gamer ?

2011 internet wom CMBN

2002 ? ?

1999 SPWaW CMBO

2000 WOM CMBo

2010 forums CMBN

1999 AFV News journal CMBO

2010 PC Gamer CMBN

2003 forums ?

2014 bf store CMRT

2000 CGW CMBO

2002 CMAK

2009 Good Old Games CMBO

2003 PX CMBB

2002 magazine ?

1999 web CMBO

1999 BF store CMBO

2000 Panzwe Elite Dev Group CMBO

2001 pc gamer CMBO

2000 forums CMBO

2000 pc strategy games CMBO

2004 WOM CMBB

2006 PX CMBO

2001 store CMBO

2003 BF store CMBB

2000 pc gamer CMBO

2001 forums CMBO

1999 WOM CMBO

I wonder if that 'newer' number anomaly has anything to do with more recent purchasers not frequenting the chat board as much as old hands do. Rather like poll takers who only call land lines so the entire cell phone demographic is left out. The only people counted in that CM poll are chat board chatters. :D;)

There does seem to be a handful of new users posting here lately. Hopefully that is a new trend.

How did you count me? I consider myself as one of the 7% who found CM2 first although technically I did buy CM1 games first because CMBN was in Beta still. However I had no knowledge of CM1 games and it was CMBN that I found. If it had been released I probably would have never played CM1 for those months.

I became familiar with Battlefront due to Theatre of War which I bought around 2007, which even after patching was a disappointment.

Later, a friend, who had the earlier CM1 products, suggested the CM series. I purchased CMBN as my first CM game in August 2011. I haven't been disappointed.

So relatively, I'm a new comer.

One of the 7%, CMSF was my first combat mission, probably saw it on Paradox site a long time ago and got interested, kinda forgot about it for a while because i couldn't afford it, then started earning money, rediscovered it somehow and bought the whole set (USMC, Brits and NATO). Of couse CMBN and CMFI were out by that time as well so i had to get those as well. Glad i did too.

I read a glowing review of CMBO in my local newspaper many years ago. I think it was shortly after it was released. Even though I don't post very often, I've been visiting the forums and bought most of the games ever since.

These games have been a dream come true for an old Avalon Hill boardgamer and model builder :)

I can't remember exactly where I heard about CMBO, but I knew of it as early as possible--I was lurking on these forums even before the demo was released.

I seem to recall hearing about it on SimHQ.com (which at the time was "Crimson's SimHQ").

I was very early. I can't remember if it was PC gamer or the Matrix Games forums that tipped me off, I am thinking PC gamer. I remember getting the demo and playing it over and over and over. I don't even think the full game had been released yet. I remember the demo came with two scenarios. One was fantastic. Two ridges with a valley in the middle and the Germans had bunkers and an AT gun with fantastic LOS. That was a great scenario and if I remember correctly it did not even come on the final disc.

Probably late 99 was when I came across the demo.

I was very early. I can't remember if it was PC gamer or the Matrix Games forums that tipped me off, I am thinking PC gamer. I remember getting the demo and playing it over and over and over. I don't even think the full game had been released yet. I remember the demo came with two scenarios. One was fantastic. Two ridges with a valley in the middle and the Germans had bunkers and an AT gun with fantastic LOS. That was a great scenario and if I remember correctly it did not even come on the final disc.

Probably late 99 was when I came across the demo.

Ah ...Valley of Death and Chance Encounter...played the heck out of those scenarios. :)

Ian. Leslie, I'm not sure how I counted you. I would have to go look up your post again to see what you said. Generally speaking I labeled their intro game as the first game they purchased.

This poll of course just gives us a look at who makes up the forums. I also I think we can probably extrapolate it to some of BFC's core customer base. However, there were only 54 respondents and even if every single person purchased every CM product BFC would only make $21,600. So obviously BFC must have more customers.

Actually assuming that BFC has 5 employees that each make $40,000 per year (a fine sum as long as you aren't living in a large city) they would need 4,000 customers to buy a single $50 product per year. Now after taxes, even at a rate of 50%, they would actually only need 8,000 people to purchase a $50 product per year. So I suspect that they could actually survive only a relatively small customer base as long as they base consistently spends between $50 and $100 per year.

I first read about Combat Mission in Computer Games magazine in 1998 I believe. At the time it was still being billed as a sort of Advanced Squad Leader for the computer. After it came out I did not think it would run on the computer I had at the time since other 3-d games did not. I finally saw CMBO in a store for $15 in 2004 and took a risk and bought it. It ran great. My one regret was I could have been playing four years earlier. I think I still might have that issue. Anyone interested if I scanned and posted it?

I found CMBO in 2001 or so by accident/chance/luck in an Electronic Market, then joined a PBEM player's club around 2003/2004 when I had CMBB.

In this club's forum I also heard about CMx2 in 2011 (or 2010?).

We were all concerned/worried that CMBN was not available in Electronic Markets and wasn't even mentioned in the biggest/leading gaming magazines in Germany so how should gamers find this game? (like we did 10 years ago)

I guess the answer is that times have changed: Today there is YouTube and Internet in general with links to Facebook (social networks) etc. - news are spreading much faster today.

I'm trying to make CMx2 popular by making YouTube AAR videos and by mentioning the game in comments about other WWII related games like "Men of War", "CoH" etc. and by adding as much people as possible to my Google profile. ;)

I spread the word! :)

I didn't join the forum right after getting CMBO, so I must have found the demo pretty close to the time of its release. Not sure how I found it. I do remember I was playing CC3 at the time and monitoring the development of WWII Online.

It took me nearly 12 years to start posting regularly, but this has become my "home" forum on the internet. CMx1 and CMx2 have been my favorite video games from the time of their release and now CMx2 is my favorite game ever. Over the last 7 years, I've really dropped off on buying other games and I don't play the ones that I do like CMx2.

I really hope the Battlefront guys stay at this until they can't remember their names anymore. The game is great now, but I want to pinch myself at the thought of how it might look and play in another 10 years.

I was also one looking for a computer version of the ASL board game, I still have the rulebook and most of the modules in a bookshelf. I was really excited when I learned about a joint project by a company named "Big Time Software"

and Avalon Hill to create such a game. Then the falling out they had for lack of a better way to say it, they parted ways which was a disappointment to me.

I even tried writing some of the AH people that made ASL and they just said they did not want to comment. I still wonder what happened. Well the company we now know as Battlefront developed CMBO anyway. The CM series might not be computer ASL but its a good game. I must like it I have bought all of the ones set in WW2