I am bad at tank combat. I just am.

it is even worse when you know it is a panther, in a great spot, you have only Shermans and you can't flank the SOB. Knowing your going to die makes for a pretty aggravating situation. Already lost 3 tanks to him and unless i find a nuclear warhead, I am stopped...

If you truly can't flank him, doesn't that mean he's keyholed and you can, with due dilligence, just avoid his field of fire? Because trying to kill a Panther frontally with short 75s is simply an exercise in making the Jerries repaint their glacis and requisitioning new tanks and crews from the repple depple. Doesn't matter how good you are at "Tactics".

If you truly can't flank him, doesn't that mean he's keyholed and you can, with due dilligence, just avoid his field of fire? Because trying to kill a Panther frontally with short 75s is simply an exercise in making the Jerries repaint their glacis and requisitioning new tanks and crews from the repple depple. Doesn't matter how good you are at "Tactics".

Not always true.

Here is my examble (which I actually did). I have a King Tiger. OK, I would really like to take on them distant T34/ 85's in a match. I better check and make sure that they are harmless to my front armor and at what ranges.

Run the test with about 50 rounds hitting my front from ranges 600 down to 200 yards. OK- great, even if they close in on me, It looks good.

Now back to the match, pull my tank out into battle, range about 1000 yards.

One T34 up in smoke, then a second. then the gun is damaged. Crap

It never fails, I lose more guns on my heavy armor, just poor luck.

Where as, when I was playing the other side of this battle, I had 6 hits on a enemy Tiger with my 85'son its barrell and it was still firing away.

Luck, you can always hope for that.

I on the other hand , never play for lucky chances, since it generally likes to avoid me.

Not always true.

[snip]gun hits[/snip]

I on the other hand , never play for lucky chances, since it generally likes to avoid me.

I'd say that the "lucky gun hit" is something the other guy always gets on me (if there's any got at all)... so going up against that UberKitteh without a flank advantage would remain futile... I'm sure we all feel that way at times.

I've sustained two "ricochet into" top front armour penetrations on Panthers, so I know what bad luck is...

Ran out of smoke just getting to the position i am now, 80mm mortars are not going to move a panther, but i am trying. And if I could put rounds near him i would, but this guy is in the best position I have ever seen, side of a hill with a hedgerow on his flank and a building partially screening him. If i get enough of an angle to put rounds near him, he can see me:-( As the original poser said, i am terrible with tanks too.

he has help on his flanks, thats how I got to where i am, trying to flank another panther someplace else that killed 3 tanks before i got enough intel to know what it was.

I was just browsing the manual and Steve (or whoever the author was) advised to not play Russians like Americans or Germans. Russian doctrine would demand a Company be sent where Americans might send a platoon. And no fancy tactics, rush forward and blast away! A dug-in tank only has one gun that can point in one direction at any one time. Use that to your advantage.

If the target is relying on a building for cover, it would be a shame if the building got flattened by shellfire. As the man says in a certain Monty Python skit, 'Things break, y'know...'

I have used that for several hiding AI tanks in my current battle. Always feel a little guilty for the property owner, but such is war...

I was just browsing the manual and Steve (or whoever the author was) advised to not play Russians like Americans or Germans. Russian doctrine would demand a Company be sent where Americans might send a platoon. And no fancy tactics, rush forward and blast away! A dug-in tank only has one gun that can point in one direction at any one time. Use that to your advantage.

True. On the other hand, if you have T34-76s, watch the spotting. I had a single Stug take out four swarming tanks once at point blank ranges because they managed to arrive slightly staggered and each time, the enemy Stug spotted first and got off a killing round before my next friendly tank could spot. Rinse and repeat.

Now back to the match, pull my tank out into battle, range about 1000 yards.

One T34 up in smoke, then a second. then the gun is damaged. Crap

It never fails, I lose more guns on my heavy armor, just poor luck.

Me too, I almost never buy Tigers or King Tigers these days because every single one I've ever bought has sustained "Gun Damage" after scoring between 0 :( and 1 kill. :mad:

Considering I've bought a truckload of Panthers over the years and have only had Gun damage on 3 - ever - across CMBN and CMRT, I feel the Tigers get a bum deal.