Scenario sizes?

Currently building a large scenario Axis verse Soviets AI... Retaking Koshtovnist

Covers, 1008x2016, expecting it to play out in about 2 hours.

However, finding it is crashing on downloading (75% mark) when exported.

Is this due to being a large scenario... or mods at the other end.

File size 2048KB

a619adc4-e7a4-4481-b4cf-a488e40332a6_zps4235e1b7.png

9d7cc078-4d53-4032-aa43-b4fb7d3312b9_zpsead05112.png

Also anybody in play testing... if they can get it to load.

"my i7 quad core" IIRC all the CM series of games only benefit from single core, so that's not going to help. Or, have I got that wrong?

Am getting ready for a new machine, so it's not just an academic question.

Help in what way? It is true that CM currently, from statements by BFC, is single threaded. However they have also stated at least once that they are on the lookout for opportunities to help improve performance by using additional threads (which *would* benefit from additional cores). In addition having multiple cores makes the whole system run more smoothly because even if one single threaded app is working hard you can still do other things with your machine. Another factor is that I do not think you can even find CPUs now that are not multi core. So worrying about how many cores is probably not going to be relevant to game play.

In my opinion the two most important things you can do in your new machine is make sure it has lots of memory and a good graphics card. My new machine has an i5 processor but with 16G of memory and a Nvidia 760 graphics card. The smoothness of navigation in game and the ease of switching back to the OS while playing the game is such a breath of fresh air. Not to mention that I no longer have to go get a coffee while the game starts - yay I am soooo happy.

Granted 16Gb of memory is probably more than needed for game play but I have other needs too such as processing multiple photos in Photoshop. 8Gb of memory would probably give excellent results for game play. The key is you want the OS to be *able* to give 4Gb to the game process and still have memory left over to keep running smoothly its self. I am also sure that an i7 processor would be that much better but I needed that extra memory and the accountant said I had to give something up :)

Me, I have problems if I've got other stuff running in background. My machine really doesn't like running CMRT and internet explorer at the same time. Have you tried checking your Options? Running Best and Best for 3D model and texture quality for large maps puts some strain on the system.

Nelson,

Loading in the data was fast up to 49% then a little slower up to 79% after that is was again faster.

Playing Axis.

The game runs fine and gives me a lot of war, wave after wave is coming out of the woods...

The wave from the west was stoppable in the frontline but then came the big wave from the south-west hitting my left flank and rolled-over...

Almost 1 hour done...

Here some action from the battlefield :

http://youtu.be/D4YclCp8H_Q

So NO trouble at all with loading the game data or run and playing the game even with running stuff in the background.

Nice battle field and great map!

Greetings,

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac13,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 3,4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB

Running Best and Best for 3D model and texture quality for large maps puts some strain on the system.

This is really important. If you are having trouble running a game start by turning these settings down. Yes turning them down makes the game look worse but you can still play. I learned this playing Monty's Butchers on my old machine. That map has lots of trees and the scenario has quite a few units moving around. I was getting frustrated with the game being sluggish and locking up for short periods. Once the light bulb went on, I turned both settings down two notches and it was like night and day. So, even though the visuals were not as good my enjoyment went way up.

I just had to remember to turn the settings up for my other games.