Hummel?

One day I hope we will see the Hummel as a on map unit :)

Me too. Is the Wespe also available as an on map unit ? I would like to have

both Wespe and Hummel as on map vehicles. I have had a fondness for the

SPA units since my PanzerBlitz days:) ( I know I am dating myself way back :rolleyes:)

From a reasonableness perspective, I see no real need for an actual on-map Hummel except to depict things like a deep Russian penetration into the Panzer division artillery positions, as part of a retreating column. Such assets were precious and wouldn't be lightly risked.

Besides, porcelain is fragile, and the general's wife might come unstuck were one to be shattered!

Dead ones might be useful as part of a debris strewn battlefield, too, when scenario designers are at work.

J Bennett,

Did you at least buy yourself dinner, or was it a whirlwind courtship?!

Regards,

John Kettler

From a reasonableness perspective, I see no real need for an actual on-map Hummel except to depict things like a deep Russian penetration into the Panzer division artillery positions, as part of a retreating column. Such assets were precious and wouldn't be lightly risked.

Regards,

John Kettler

Generally speaking I might agree with you John Kettler, because of the scale and scope of this game. However, as the battlefield situation became more desperate for the Wehrmacht I believe these weapons may have been increasingly expendable and perhaps utilized in some kinds of defensive scenarios, maybe even a delaying action. I also understand that the Panzer artillery such as the Hummel invariably were employed in Batteries of 6 vehicles.

It would at best be a rare thing to see one or two of them in a Combat Mission Red Thunder scenario. I will concede that point, your slightly derisive remarks notwithstanding. I would at least like to pose the question though, If Self propelled artillery like the Hummel and Wespe are off map assets only, why have them in the game at all ? IN game terms they are no different from 150mm or 105mm field pieces, since they are off the map their mobility is meaningless. Respectfully, Jeff

If Self propelled artillery like the Hummel and Wespe are off map assets only, why have them in the game at all ? IN game terms they are no different from 150mm or 105mm field pieces, since they are off the map their mobility is meaningless.

That's a valid point. I expect they were included mostly for the coolness factor, although I wouldn't swear that the SP and towed pieces are exactly identical. Have you tried checking the ammo counts on the two types?

Michael

That's a valid point. I expect they were included mostly for the coolness factor, although I wouldn't swear that the SP and towed pieces are exactly identical. Have you tried checking the ammo counts on the two types?

Michael

They're not identical. Hummel batteries are only allowed approx. half the shells that the field artillery of the same caliber may use. They do, however, have 6 vehicles while there are only 4 guns in the field battery.

J Bennett,

An "or" got left out, so it should've been penetrate the divisional artillery positions or as part of a retreating column. Wasn't being derisory, just love word play, and Hummel was impossible to resist. No German division commander in his right mind would consider increasingly scarce heavy artillery (bulk of his DIVARTY is 105mm howitzer) to be expendable, let alone the SP variety. The Hummel battery was bigger, but in practice, seldom had all guns available, figuring at least one Hummel sidelined for repairs. The hybrid Panzer III/IV chassis was overloaded.

freeman2344,

The Hummel had very few rounds, 18, on carriage, to be sure, but did have gunless Hummel ammo carrier vehicles and customarily relied on ammo stocks next to the vehicle when in battery, saving the onboard ammo for emergencies. The US did something similar when using TDs as field artillery. The scale of issue was two ammo carriers per Hummel battery, each carrying 90 rounds.

http://www.desertwar.net/hummel-vehicle.html

If not already taken into account, may I suggest BFC factor this into the way the Hummel battery is depicted as far as ammo load? 30 rounds per gun are nothing to sneeze at.

Regards,

John Kettler