On the way!

By the by, I received an e-mail this morning that my disk had shipped, so presumably by this weekend or early next week those of us who ordered disks should be getting them.

Michael

I guess that antiquated "coaster" will come in handy when your nursemaid is done giving you a few sips of your daily prune juice, and wants to place it on your nightstand.

Other than that, I really can't think of a reason why you would want to contribute to global warming and have a CD shipped across the country.

...I really can't think of a reason why you would want to contribute to global warming and have a CD shipped across the country.

Because, dear wart, when it comes time to reload the game, it goes five to ten times faster off a disk than it does from the web. Plus, if god forbid BFC ever goes tits up and the game is no longer available at all on the web, I'll still be able to play it.

Michael

Because, dear wart, when it comes time to reload the game, it goes five to ten times faster off a disk than it does from the web. Plus, if god forbid BFC ever goes tits up and the game is no longer available at all on the web, I'll still be able to play it.

But why would you have to store/run the file from the web rather than your hard drive?

Michael

in 5 years you may not have a disk drive anymore... that could impact that plan... ;)

Exactly. My grand idea for fame is to open a computer spare parts factory that makes OLD parts for PCs until 2050!!

I have been wondering how I will play my old favs in 10yrs time. But then maybe newer PCs will just do it and be smart enough to understand and run anything.

AT LEAST with a PC there is a way to do it. Try that with old MACs or Consoles without resorting to a PC.

I have not got an email either that my CD package has shipped. Was starting

to worry. I have to say I am a bit perplexed at the "hate" (maybe to strong a

word) for CD media. Is there a new media that I dont know about that

preserves games, data, movies etc. better? Laser discs can literally last for

decades, unlike magnetic media. It just seems to me people just want something newer "better" (maybe) to fast. Maybe its just my generation. In my house we still used a rotary landline telephone until the the late 70's maybe early 80's. Also still played vinyl records on phonograph "record player" till about the same time. How long were folks using those technologies? Without using Google are otherwise researching it I'd guess almost 100 years at least!

In my house we still used a rotary landline telephone until the the late 70's maybe early 80's. Also still played vinyl records on phonograph "record player" till about the same time.

I guess I am even more of a stick-in-the-mud than you. I used a rotary phone until 1986 because that was all that the phone company in the town where I was living offered. I then moved to another town which offered touch tone and that's what I've used since. I finally retired my phonograph in 2006 even though I had had a CD player for over a decade at that point. It was just that I had a fairly extensive collection of LPs and for a number of reasons it wasn't practical to replace them all at once.

Michael

Rotary phone ? You youngsters and your tech. What's wrong with the party line with operator connect!

LPs are having a bit of a resurgence. My son has just invested in a turntable and it has become hip for albums to release as LPs as well as CDs. I wonder when cassettes will make their comeback.

On the notifications/shipping front, I believe shipping would occur in order of when the order was placed, and certainly it would be good form for beta testers to be among the first - there has to be some reward for all their work.

Rotary phone ? You youngsters and your tech. What's wrong with the party line with operator connect!

Or for that matter, two tin cans connected by string. Why, back in my day messengers carried notes in a cleft stick. That was after we modernized from making scratches on a soft rock to heave across to the family living in the cave on the other side of the gully.

Michael

S*** happens. XP died two weeks ago and lost everything (almost every game BF ever published) upgrading to Win7. But I have to admit, the license/activation thing caused no issues as I reinstalled and patched all those games. No CD's except CMSF. but did have all the exe's and mods backed up on external hard drive. ha!

Mine came today. I really like the packaging, although the steel box had a small dent in it. Leave it to the PO. Well, to be fair, they do give better, faster service in this area than almost anybody else. Like the manuals, although it would sometimes be helpful if the illustrations were in full color. But they are very readable and mostly well written. So color me pleased.

:)

Michael