Installation folder question..

Wodin

I was wondering why Red Thunder splits the game files during installation if you choose a different location other than the default when CMBN doesn't? I install games to my H drive and where CMBN installed to H only Red Thunder is split between H and C:\user\name\my documents\battlefront\red thunder which has the scenario files and also a folder called user data\mods.

I prefer it when game files keep to the same location to be honest like CMBN did. I try and keep my C Drive for windows files\folders only if possible.

I was wondering why Red Thunder splits the game files during installation if you choose a different location other than the default when CMBN doesn't? I install games to my H drive and where CMBN installed to H only Red Thunder is split between H and C:\user\name\my documents\battlefront\red thunder which has the scenario files and also a folder called user data\mods.

I prefer it when game files keep to the same location to be honest like CMBN did. I try and keep my C Drive for windows files\folders only if possible.

Did you happen to buy CMFI? You'll find it does the same thing. It's a windows thing. BF had to start that with the CMFI release.

Blame Microsoft OS8 and their new security protocols. It certainly wasn't BFC's idea to do it that way.

I created a 'shortcut' and dropped it into the CMRT exe folder just so I wouldn't have to go hunting for the games folder all the time.

Ha, I finally went one worse. I have a "Combat Mission" folder on my desktop. It has shortcuts for all the CM games as well as to the game folders, dropbox, fraps, my fraps screenshot folder and HTHH. All the essentials for my CM gaming life. Now all it needs is a shortcut for a program to get me a beer. I think there was one out called wife 2.0.

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Wife_1.0

Ha, I finally went one worse. I have a "Combat Mission" folder on my desktop. It has shortcuts for all the CM games as well as to the game folders, dropbox, fraps, my fraps screenshot folder and HTHH. All the essentials for my CM gaming life. Now all it needs is a shortcut for a program to get me a beer. I think there was one out called wife 2.0.

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Wife_1.0

I have the same setup on my desktop. I don't think it's "worse" per se, just more pathetic.:)

Blame Microsoft OS8 and their new security protocols. It certainly wasn't BFC's idea to do it that way.

I created a 'shortcut' and dropped it into the CMRT exe folder just so I wouldn't have to go hunting for the games folder all the time.

Well that certainly precipitated this change but hard coding the game directory to the user's doc folder is not really required - they could let us choose where that folder goes (as long as it is outside the protected directories). I actually logged a bug / feature request to allow that. It gets really bad when patches come out and you have multiple PBEM game going - because now your two installed versions share the same game folders and playing which turn with witch game is a real PITA.