tanks refuse to advance, mines?

So I'm playing a scenario in which I have tanks that refuse to advance where I wanted them to... they just start the movement but stop immediately...then I remember the briefing said something about mines. So I send there my sappers (the closest unit I have to an engineer) but the "mark mine" remains grayed out...

and here I'm stucked and puzzled. Any ideas?

Three terrain types are impassable - hvy rocks, deep marsh and hvy woods. Well, four if you count water, of course. Oh, five - infantry will pass through marsh but vehicles won't. Some vehicle types will refuse to go through a low wall. Hmmm, what other impediments... cliffs of course. If its a wet day and the ground is soft a vehicle is liable to 'bog', either briefly or permanently.

Is it possible that you were giving a Hunt order? Units given Hunt movement will stop (or not move in the first place) as soon as they spot an enemy.

You can tweak this with Target Arcs. A unit with a Target Arc will only stop if an enemy enters the set arc (and only if it's an armor unit for a Target Armor Arc).

On mines: tanks (and anyone else) will happily enter mines if you order them to do so. Also, if a space is not marked with a mine marker (a little sign in the ground) then no one knows mines exist there; they haven't been located or even suspected.

You can tweak this with Target Arcs. A unit with a Target Arc will only stop if an enemy enters the set arc (and only if it's an armor unit for a Target Armor Arc).

Are you sure about that? I don't think the target arc has anything to do with when a unit stops hunting.

I am not at a gaming computer right now so I cannot check to be 100% sure.

Are you sure about that? I don't think the target arc has anything to do with when a unit stops hunting.

I am not at a gaming computer right now so I cannot check to be 100% sure.

Yes, covered arc will keep your units going until fired upon or an enemy unit appears inside it's arc.

Is that a change in RT? Cos it didn't used to be the case.

To my knowledge it has always been so. For example :

Set a 50 meter cover arc order your troops/ vehicle to hunt. Your unit will follow through with the hunt order unless an enemy appears inside their 50 meter arc or your unit receives fire from an enemy unit.

I encountered something like this earlier.

But it turns out that if there are too many obstacles between your vehicle and its destination, it might just give up on trying to figure out a route and stays put.

This happened to me when I had a tank inside a forest with both light and heavy parts. In the end, I had to manually guide the tank out myself.

To my knowledge it has always been so.

That hasn't been my experience, nor the experience reported here of people discussing how to hunt things with tanks in multiple threads up until quite recent times...

Set a 50 meter cover arc order your troops/ vehicle to hunt. Your unit will follow through with the hunt order unless an enemy appears inside their 50 meter arc or your unit receives fire from an enemy unit.

I ran a test, and you're entirely correct. Doesn't seem to matter too much what the motivation of the hunter is, either.

Time for a revised SOP...

I have had the exact opposite experience to my cost.

In the final stage of the Training Campaign.

A ran a jeep with a FO through a wood but with no terrain indicator like we had in CMBB it is hard to know what terrain types are in a wood. Anyway the jeep sets off on a long movement, then turns off to the side, comes out of the wood and heads on a vast detour through the German lines :( to its destination. It got as far as a bridge before getting shot up, blocking the bridge to the 3x T34 and 2x SU153 who now had to make long detours back through the woods to the lake and then along the shoreline. Tried to run a SU-152 through the bridge to push it out of the way but it again re-routed into a vast detour round half the map which I was able to stop in time as it was set to move at SLOW.

The other jeep did exactly the same making a trip through the woods at the rear of the map, it re-routed, making a big detour into open ground and gets shot up by the Stugs in the village.

I do not mind the game having routing problems but these vast detour solutions are hard to fathom.