Why does german tanks TURN that much better ?

Skid steer vs. zero radius turn.

Now, the above is NOT universally true. Also, even when it IS true, the Germans may not have used their zero radius turn ability.

I ascribe it to their sporty euro suspension. Kind of like the handling difference between a Lincoln Continental and an Audi R8. ;) (<-- That's me humor leaking out...)

Skid steer: one track is braked, the other is "run". The tank hull slews around. The turn describes an arc, the center of which is well off to the side of the tank, depending on how hard the inner track is braked and how slippery the terrain is.

Benefit: easy to manufacture and maintain. Drawback: inefficient, large steering radii

Zero radius: one track goes forward, the other reverses. The tank can literally spin over its center point.

Benefit: zero radius turns. Drawback: requires very complex gears, prone to breaking when used (with German wartime alloy shortages), nearly impossible to repair in the field when it breaks.

The other way of turning was to use specific turning gears. Each gear gave a different radius. The driver had to be adept at judging the turn and then implementing the correct gear at the correct time.

Ken

I would not imagine you to be a turning grog, why turn the tank when all you do with tanks is drive them right up to the enemy and bayonet them with the Rhino attachment?

Zero radius turns could be nice if the enemy cower in trenches where the bayonet can't rech them though, must be that.

What's the reason for german tanks to have a 4 or better in the TURNING field in the encoclopedia and most allied tanks only have a 1...?

The manual isn't showing true in-game data I believe. Here's the test that I dig up made by Amizaur:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showpost.php?p=1357461&postcount=52

Times of 180 deg turn for CMBN:CW tanks

Tank......In place.........Moving

Stuart.......38s..............24s

M10..........44s..............28s

Sherman....44s..............29s

Cromwell....44s..............28s

Churchil.....45s..............30s

StugIII.......45s..............22s

PzIVG.........57s..............25s

PantherG.....57s..............25s

Tiger E........60s.............20s

King Tiger...168s.............13s

As you can see the disadvantage of the german afvs. If the manual lists it like that it could be a typo of sort?