LOS question

Hey guys, I have a question. I thought I read somewhere that if mt HQ squad ( guy with flag over head) spots a target he can then radio that to a mortar team who can then fire upon the target. I am trying to do that and when I start to order the mission it states that I don't have LOS. Does the mortar team need los? What am I doing wrong?

Oh 1 more question. I know units when put up right to the edge of the bocade they can see through and spot units. I am trying that with scout vehicles and for some reason they don't spot anything. Is it only ground troops that can see through bocade when right up against it?

Hey guys, I have a question. I thought I read somewhere that if mt HQ squad ( guy with flag over head) spots a target he can then radio that to a mortar team who can then fire upon the target. I am trying to do that and when I start to order the mission it states that I don't have LOS. Does the mortar team need los? What am I doing wrong?

It's really difficult to determine what you're doing wrong. The way it should work is that your HQ ("the spotter") can see somewhere near where you want the shells to drop; the support menu (little icon of an artillery piece at the top near the middle of the UI pane) lets you access the assets which the spotter can request support from. In the menu that pops up from that icon, you will see little "data cards" for each asset that potentially could provide support. They will either have just the silhouette and unit type, or that with some status text underneath or blazoned across. If there is status text, you probably can't use that asset for some reason. It might be "FO required" (large artillery, naval support, CAS) or the gun/mortar might be out of touch or busy doing something else.

From your description, I can't tell what's getting a "no LOS" message. You don't have to do anything with the mortar team, if that's what you're trying. The "radio the coords to the mortar team" is handled entirely within the support menu. I'm sure this is covered in Task Force Raff...

Oh 1 more question. I know units when put up right to the edge of the bocade they can see through and spot units. I am trying that with scout vehicles and for some reason they don't spot anything. Is it only ground troops that can see through bocade when right up against it?

Depends on the scout unit. Depends on the terrain. There are vehicles (though I'm mostly thinking of Marders; not sure what scout asset you're actually dealing with) which have their crew compartments at the rear, which can't draw LOS/LOF through bocage they're nosed into. Or it may just be that the vehicle's vision gear is high enough to be obscured by foliage that you're not seeing because you have trees turned off, whereas an infantry team in the same place sees beneath the canopy.

You need to have a HQ radio dude near (voice command distance) the mortar in addition to the spotting HQ radio dude.

Two other HQ spotting scenarios are:

1. Mortar is in direct voice command of spotter HQ. This could be a HQ guy peeking thru a hedge row talking back to the mortar.

2. Off board artillery - then only one radio HQ is needed.

- - -

Your problem could also be mortars are too close to a building or trees and they cant shoot over them to get to the target.

Also make sure the mortar can do indirect fire. Some of the smaller mortars of all nationalities are direct fire only, (and cannot be directed by a spotter). Those need to have LOS themselves.

How do I determine whether they have indirect fire or not?

I don't remember them all, but IIRC the Italian 45mm, the Brit 2" mortar, German 50mm, US? I am sure someone knows this stuff here.

Anything less than 60mm (or you could express it as "50mm and smaller") won't appear in the support menu. US 60mm have 3x the range of the Brixia or GrWf36 and can be used in the indirect fire role when they've got comms. The size thing isn't directly relevant, it's just a way of defining the current set of mortars that can't be used indirect. The Brixia used to be able to, in early versions of engine-v2, but was disallowed, I think about the time of Gustav Line. The british "trench mortar" couldn't really support spotter-directed fire. I don't know whether it's a failing of the pieces, or the general training of the axis formations that are equipped with the smaller mortars. The German 50mm was considered overcomplicated and overweight for its offensive punch and withdrawn from front line use by '43 or so, which makes me think it probably did have the sights for indirect fire, but the lower quality of the formations equipped with it preclude such advanced ballistics calculations in the time periods currently covered by CM games.

I don't remember them all, but IIRC the Italian 45mm, the Brit 2" mortar, German 50mm, US? I am sure someone knows this stuff here.

The U.S. licensed the French Brant (sp. ?) 60mm mortar as the M2 during or just after WW I. They were definitely capable of indirect fire. The USMC still uses the upgraded mod at the company level (a section of three tubes in the weapons platoon). The section is commonly attached to a reinforced rifle platoon. We often fired them indirect. I'd like to see BF allow indirect behind hedgerows as was done.