Foxholes and Trenches

Rokko

.... while we're on the subject - would it not be possible to create a new foxhole object specifically for ATG's ? With one large foxhole/breastworks for the gun and 2 or 3 of the current variety around it for the crew - as it stands, foxhole protection for ATG's is pretty rudimentary - players generally workaround with sandbag walls and so forth, but is a dedicated ATG "fortification" not feasible ?

I'm basically OK with fortifications poking up out of the ground slightly - though any improvements would of course be welcome - but ATG emplacements would be an excellent addition. And camouflage !!

One issue that I am not clear on - a team in an action spot containing foxholes may or may not all be sitting in the foxholes - quite often if the foxholes are adjacent to a hedge line, and they are given a face order towards the hedge, they congregate in the corner of the action spot next to the hedge, and are not actually represented as being in the foxholes.

In this position I believe (but would like to be sure) that they are not in fact protected by the foxholes. In order to be protected by the foxholes they have to be actually represented as sitting in them.

Can someone clarify if this is right?

Maybe we could get an EXTRA camoflage feature (both graphical- and one that reduces the guns risk of being spotted (for spotting purposes)...

I know this has been discused at lenth before...but PLEASE give us the possibilty to improve on the camoflage...

I have had numorous games 'ruined' by being able to locate pretty much all AT-guns on the map within a few minutes before they even fired a shot (stationary at start)

What could have been an intresting challange to try and locate those guns did not happen...they became visible without me doing anything (or close to it atlest)

The result....Mortar fire ! DEAD guns...

To me...The way AT-guns are spotted right now makes me feel like they are simply hastely deployed to counter a supprise attack be enemy armour...

If thats the case...fine ! let them be spotted...

But theres also the well prepared defences with good firering possitions, good camoflage and what not.

Guns at such locations should not be spotted so easily in my oppinion...

"we never even spotted those AT-guns before they opened fire...They were very well hidden"...

Sorry...I don't remember the exact book or documentary but i have heard and read lines like this more then once...

To me...The way AT-guns are spotted right now makes me feel like they are simply hastely deployed to counter a supprise attack be enemy armour...

If thats the case...fine ! let them be spotted...

But theres also the well prepared defences with good firering possitions, good camoflage and what not.

Guns at such locations should not be spotted so easily in my oppinion...

"we never even spotted those AT-guns before they opened fire...They were very well hidden"...

Sorry...I don't remember the exact book or documentary but i have heard and read lines like this more then once...

In a battle Im playing at the moment (US para vs Italian inf) in FI, Im having real problems discovering Italian 65 mm guns in all kinds of terrain. Even when they fire for sustained periods. Ranges from 200 to 1000 meters.

Not sure if it has to do with the smal size of the Italian 65 mm or what. I think the simulation in this case is spot on when simulating pre made camo positions.

The graphical camoflage will not need to be that terribly complicated imo...

A 'general' camoflagenet will do...

Nor the gun nor the camoflage net will be visible on the map before you spot it...The spotting will be harder to do then with a regular (non camoflaged) gun due to some spotting modifier reducing the risk of the guns being spotted (for spotting purposes)...

Units stationary in their setup positions are supposed to have a bonus to concealment (i.e. they are camouflaged). If someone has evidence that this is not working, I'm sure a tester would be happy to look at it.

I'm sure thats the case but maybe that bonus is a little bit on the low side to be able to simulate well concealed guns...

Suggestion:

An option to have TWO kinds of bonuses...

- light camoflage (like now)....cheap to buy

- heavy camoflage (increased bonus)....more expencive

In a battle Im playing at the moment (US para vs Italian inf) in FI, Im having real problems discovering Italian 65 mm guns in all kinds of terrain. Even when they fire for sustained periods. Ranges from 200 to 1000 meters.

Not sure if it has to do with the smal size of the Italian 65 mm or what. I think the simulation in this case is spot on when simulating pre made camo positions.

This has happened to me to...I would not go so far as to say that this never happens...

That was not my intention...I to have had occations when i have had trouble locating the gun...but more often then not the guns are to easily spotted imo...

But that is not our game, isn't it? You are spotting them well enough if you ask me... :(

Units stationary in their setup positions are supposed to have a bonus to concealment (i.e. they are camouflaged). If someone has evidence that this is not working, I'm sure a tester would be happy to look at it.

It probably should be for all units, but according to page 88 of the manual that bonus is specific to anti-tank guns only.

As expected, people can't help themselves and have made suggestions about the graphical side of things. And as I expected, they have all been made before (dozens of times in fact), addressed, and shot down in flames for various reasons.

1. Sink them into the ground without tearing the mesh. Would look HORRIBLE for starters. Picture half a soldier with a ring of green around him and then a ring of dirt. Even if someone thought that was an improvement, functionally it wouldn't work because as soon as a soldier went prone he'd disappear.

2. Allow the game to dynamically reconfigure the 3D terrain based on where the player specified trenches/foxholes to be in Setup. This does give players the ability to setup stuff where they want, but Fog of War disappears because the modified map is the same for both sides. And please don't suggest we can hide things dynamically because that isn't technically possible to do and still have the game work on a PC.

Guys, I can not stress this enough. There are dead horses and there are dead horses. This particular horse has already been converted to glue and low quality dog food. There absolutely, unequivocally, is no way to have sub-terrainean foxholes/trenches AND Fog of War AND user placement. NONE. Accept it and move on :D

Steve

P.S. There is no game out there that offers what you guys (including me) want to see with this feature. For the same reasons.