Quick Battle generator

Cymru

I have no idea what kind of game specific map objects we'll see in CMRT. Probably at least buildings and bridges are different from those we see in MG module's scenarios.

Of course, but it wouldn't seem that difficult to "map" terrain objects in one game to those in another (ie, French farmer's hut=Russian peasant hut, or Italian stone bridge=Sov wooden bridge).

Even if all incompatible terrain was simply replaced with open ground it would be better than starting from scratch.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fact, guess where the idea came from to have user made maps be used for QBs? From CMx1 QB players who said "these random maps aren't very good, so how about letting us play with handmade ones?"

One thing about the above ^. I have been told by developer and publisher alike that only 2% of the games purchasers ever visit or post on an official forum. So, you are telling me you based your changes from the CMx1 engine to the CMx2 engine from the feedback of maybe 75% of the 2% of people that actually post?

I have no problem with the lack of random generated maps.

What does cause an issue with playing the AI is the lack of Fog of War in AI force composition. I suspect most single players adjust the AI's force to make it something more sensible than the generated suggestions. Which can make playing the AI in QB a bit of a dull grind as you pick off a known quantity of units.

What would be good would be some means to create a force pool for the AI, from which units are selected, so that there are some unknowns for the player.

So, for example, you might not know if you are facing 2 panzers or 4, 1 mortar team or 2, 1 Pak40 or none.

For me that would make a huge difference, particularly in small battles. It would make a QB almost akin to a designed scenario, in terms of FoW.

What does cause an issue with playing the AI is the lack of Fog of War in AI force composition. I suspect most single players adjust the AI's force to make it something more sensible than the generated suggestions.

This is a long standing problem. It's been addressed with limited success once, I believe, but it could certainly do with a revisit. I suspect that the sheer variety of choice is making selecting viable force mixes "problemmatic".

This is a long standing problem. It's been addressed with limited success once, I believe, but it could certainly do with a revisit. I suspect that the sheer variety of choice is making selecting viable force mixes "problemmatic".

Yes, and I would have no problem with a half way solution where the player creates a sensible force pool for the AI, from which a selection is taken based on chance. Even if it was something like being able to define the percentage chance of each unit appearing in the AI's force.

I have no problem with the lack of random generated maps.

What does cause an issue with playing the AI is the lack of Fog of War in AI force composition. I suspect most single players adjust the AI's force to make it something more sensible than the generated suggestions. Which can make playing the AI in QB a bit of a dull grind as you pick off a known quantity of units.

What would be good would be some means to create a force pool for the AI, from which units are selected, so that there are some unknowns for the player.

So, for example, you might not know if you are facing 2 panzers or 4, 1 mortar team or 2, 1 Pak40 or none.

For me that would make a huge difference, particularly in small battles. It would make a QB almost akin to a designed scenario, in terms of FoW.

For clarity, what I am thinking of here is a drop down beside each unit on the force selection screen where you can choose whether there is a 25,50,75 or 100 per cent chance of the unit appearing in the battle.

This would add such a lot of variation to AI QBs. We know the AI opponent will never be as surprising as a human, but if we can add a little mystery to his forces it would require a bit more caution, proper scouting etc.