Future improvements for 'target'?

This is more or less a direct question to BFC and I ask it out of curiosity and not because I think this is a 'must have immediately' feature. or somesuch. I just would like to know if it's on 'the list' or 'never'. Here it goes:

Currently we can target 2 things: enemy units or an AS (including stacked ASs like floors in buildings). Will the game engine be expanded so that we could target things like walls or windows or doors somewhere in the future?

Thanks.

Speaking of which I would like to be able to target walls, windows and doors on buildings that my tanks can see even if they cannot see the centre of the building.

Plus 1 to this: given that objects such as walls etc exist in the 3D battlefield world and e.g. stop rounds (or not), and can be destroyed to reveal LOS that they previously blocked, I don't understand why they cannot be targeted as objects in their own right?

I've lost count of the number of times I've been in clear LOS to a building elevation and want to area fire on it "just in case", to have the game tell me that you don't have LOS to it (meaning, to the ground in the AS in which the building sits) when in "real world" terms you clearly do ...

Guys - I'm pretty sure everyone would want to have that feature - including BFC. We would want pink ponies if we could get them. But what I wanted to know if it is even possible to get that feature somewhere in the future.

It is quite a difference (I guess) between targeting ASes (which are a 2D overlay of the map (except buildings)) and 3D space objects like walls and stuff. Thus my question.

Yes: sometimes it would be great to target a wall or fence - not the ground where those things are.

How sweet would it be to be able to take out an entire lane of bocage? Sometimes a single demo charge simply doesn't "cut it".

Of course, I too would settle for a pink pony (preferably with polka dots).

poesel71,

There's a great sequence from the liberation of Paris in which a sniper opens up from what appears to be a four story stone apartment block, only to receive, by way of reply, an apparent long burst of .50 cal MG fire stitched across an entire stretch of the offending story. Really impressive and totally on point to your desired feature of the game. Tried to find it, but so far, no luck. Here, though, is your consolation prize. Has some excellent street fighting footage, to include lighting up windows with Sten fire!

Regards,

John Kettler

@jk: I'm not asking for that feature - I'm asking if such a thing can ever be implemented. It may very well be that the answer is 'no' because it is an engine limitation that can not be overcome. And there are other solutions to the targeting problem which may be the way to go.

@vinnart: you can target walls if you can see the AS the wall stands on (or could if there would be no wall). But you can't if the AS is partially blocked. Then it is impossible to target the wall although part of the wall are in plain sight.

If it could be done with the current engine it would be.

I have targeted walls before, so I know it is possible. The target line may look like it is on the ground, but rounds will hit the wall knocking them down if enough H.E. is used.

This is a...well, hack is such a horrid word - let's say perversion of the engine :D

Personally I'd like to be able to fire wherever needed and not have to target the ground so you could set up fire-lanes etc. as needed.

The interface for that could become tricky though.

Ah, I got you now. Ian had a thread about the same thing. I posted some pics there showing a similar situation trying to shoot in between some houses I clearly had LOS to, but could not get a target line since I could not see the center of the action square. Ian work around worked like a charm for me to be able to take the shot.

Ah, I got you now. Ian had a thread about the same thing. I posted some pics there showing a similar situation trying to shoot in between some houses I clearly had LOS to, but could not get a target line since I could not see the center of the action square. Ian work around worked like a charm for me to be able to take the shot.

Yeah but with 2.1 my work around is gone again. :( I realize it was for a good cause. Just a bummer that there is no longer a workaround. There are only a few things left in the game that cause me grief while playing on a regular basis. This is one of them.