Down South America way.....

Am experimenting with a mod set in Panama, although it could be adapted for any fictional South American scenario.

So far incl -

Spanish voices

Modded combatants and Panamanian regts

New music

Background sounds

Green Terrain based on the Euro mod.

Some splashes

Road signs

A lot more to do but getting there.

PN2.jpg

PN1.jpg

PN3.jpg

PN4.jpg

Wow... you have a lot of initiative. From what Steve said in CMBN forums it seems we may get a CMSF update/whole new game up to CMBN tech standards. Anyone who loves CMSF should keep an eye on this ball.

Any chance of a link for that mate - I would love an update to CMSF so am interested in what Steve's view on that is. Not only do I love playing the game but I have a whole bunch of mission projects based on both Iraq and Afghanistan that I would like to put together and release through the repository.

There's life in this game yet!!!!

I just moved to the Philippines and while work doesn't allow time for gaming, I briefly considered trying to work up a CMSF scenario based on the recent fights in Zamboanga between AFP Marines and police troops and Moro MNLF fighters. But quickly realized that essential elements are missing....

Tropical (non-arid) environment is very tough to represent using the CMSF terrain set. Bocage representing dense undergrowth and thicket was essential for my CMBN Pacific mods. I can get by without water, but high LOS blocking vegetation (which trees and grain are not) is essential.

Otherwise, you just get more CMSF Blue armour-dominated walkovers, because the Red forces can't hide properly, and can't hit back at the ranges at which they're being engaged and destroyed. Which is the exact opposite of what really happens in a jungle combat environment, even in a populated area.

Erwin - thanks for the feedback. Will be good to see an updated CMSF although I'd be worried if that fresh lick of paint restricted the mods and modding options we currently enjoy. Hex editing etc. Be nice if any update could tackle room clearance and LoS issues in vegetation. See LLF comment.

LLF - really enjoy your mods. Inspired a lot of what i try. See your point if vegetation effects are limited.

Combatintman - your Afghan and Iraq scenarios are brill. One option I did consider with this was a neo-Falklands spat, albeit with similar battles to the original. So a mainly infantry based affair.

Blimey - funny old thing, I was looking at Panama not that long ago as something different - in the end I put it in the 'too difficult' basket - I'll be interested to see how your project pans out - particularly if there is a campaign or some scenarios.

Thanks for the feedback on the scenarios - I'm finally getting the hang of the nuances of scenario design.

Experimenting with certain looks. Given the size of this mod so far I may have to peel away some stuff. Also I won't be making scenarios, but envisage that infantry based urban battles would be the way to go. Some QB maps can deliver these. I'll try to throw in a small map to show how the new textures and stuff can work.

PN5.jpg

PN7.jpg

PN9.jpg

PN6.jpg

PN8.jpg

I truly hope so Michael, but if they remove Bocage (not a feature of Ukraine) and don't replace it with some kind of high hedge or high LOS-restricting thicket, it's going to be back to Overwatch Rules OK. This is a fundamentally missing terrain form; if it existed a lot of the complaints about omniscient death star AFVs would go away.

LLF - for CMSF purposes could we not use a high wall whose mdr file has been swapped with that for a form of vegetation. So it looks like vegetation but has the characteristics of a wall? You'd then scatter these los blockers amongst the normal trees. Expect you've tried that already.

Yes, that could indeed work, but not in a position to try right now, alas. Also, I'd hate to sacrifice the high walls which are ubiquitous in the Third World (the <> shaped sections can also make cinderblock hovels for the poor barrios. There's also the issue that you can see/be seen through bocage if you're right next to it. Not so high walls.

The game engine still sees the original object for all purposes; the effect of swapping the model is purely visual.

Nah, Manila got worse flooding back in August. And even though Anderson Cooper is trying to single handedly effect regime change here -- the wanker never spent a day here before and is now posing as some kind of expert, passing judgment -- IMHO the private and public sector response so far has been adequate, all things considered. No major disaster response can turn on a dime, and preening celeb journalists can Monday morning QB all they want. This country has come a long way. I admire the fact tha people here don't sit around and wait for the gubmint to make sure nothing bad ever happens to them; they have low expectations of institutions and family and village is their main safety net. It's an ethic we used to have in the West but are sadly losing. OK, off my soapbox now.

A few more screenies.....this time of the excellent Mout map with some new textures and names (excuse my Spanish). Unfortunately the mod now weighs in at around 900mb (have built in some existing mods to try and keep everything under one roof) ....so could struggle to get this on the repository!! :confused:

PN12.jpg

PN14.jpg

PN11.jpg

Pn10.jpg