Mod's impact

JM Stuff

Hi all

It's very nice to watch all mods,

I enjoy it every time, thanks to all of you to realized it, but I wonder if all these changes and there are a lot, (sounds, effects and bmp's in high resolutions)

have no impact on the game engine, can be the game becomes slower or requires more time to load...?

No one I know of has done any fps testing but we did do some load time testing and found that loading mods slowed loading down a trivial amount. Now, if those mods cause more memory to be used by the game then you can suffer performance or other problems but load times are not significantly effected.

Check out the discussion here:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=103468

The real issue with CM2 is the memory ceiling. Try playing the largest maps with plenty of buildings, flavour objects and with large number of forces on each side and with HD texture mods and community sound mods.

I can guarantee you will crash your game. I have certainly found the boundaries of mine - although that is due to some deliberation on my part to push the envelope.

Nevetheless, the problem is that CM is limited to 32 bit memory which is extremely restrictive. I propose that this problem will become more pronounced in the Eastern Front modules and generally as CM continues to develop/expand its content generally. My hope is that BF are already very well aware of this pressing issue and will produce a 64 bit version of the game that will circumvent the issue. Yes, a lot more work without clear profitable payback but in my view it's more important than the continuous content. 32 bit is living well beyond its shelf life generally in gaming already.

The real issue with CM2 is the memory ceiling. Try playing the largest maps with plenty of buildings, flavour objects and with large number of forces on each side and with HD texture mods and community sound mods.

I can guarantee you will crash your game. I have certainly found the boundaries of mine - although that is due to some deliberation on my part to push the envelope.

Nevetheless, the problem is that CM is limited to 32 bit memory which is extremely restrictive. I propose that this problem will become more pronounced in the Eastern Front modules and generally as CM continues to develop/expand its content generally. My hope is that BF are already very well aware of this pressing issue and will produce a 64 bit version of the game that will circumvent the issue. Yes, a lot more work without clear profitable payback but in my view it's more important than the continuous content. 32 bit is living well beyond its shelf life generally in gaming already.

I was under the impression that they are working on a 64bit version already..well i hope so

I was under the impression that they are working on a 64bit version already..well i hope so

They absolutely MUST be aware of the problem as many gamers start to hit limits with scenario design and 'super mods' -such as those incorporating multiple texture/sound material - and a general understanding by the community that nowhere near the full potential of the engine (bar the memory limit) is actually getting realised.

Eg: Any 4km x 4km battles anyone? Any MP 2 vs 2 contests? Such inherent potential is currently and will be forever hampered by the limits of x86.

Though I've read nothing official, I would be mighty relieved to read an announcement that such a change was in the pipeline (CM2 not CM3 that is).