Hunt--more useful for AFVs

I had mostly been playing heavy infantry campaigns. Hunt seems to be very tiring for infantry, and I tended to only use it for the last few meters of a move, into bocage--for example.

But now that I am using a campaign with AFVs, the hunt command, before enemy contact, almost seems like the old "move to contact" CM1 command.

Once the enemy is engaged, the hunt command then again becomes of less use--because the AFV will stop at the sight of any target, no matter how trivial.

Is that others' experience?

I had mostly been playing heavy infantry campaigns. Hunt seems to be very tiring for infantry, and I tended to only use it for the last few meters of a move, into bocage--for example.

But now that I am using a campaign with AFVs, the hunt command, before enemy contact, almost seems like the old "move to contact" CM1 command.

Once the enemy is engaged, the hunt command then again becomes of less use--because the AFV will stop at the sight of any target, no matter how trivial.

Is that others' experience?

Yes, even after playing this game for quite a while, I sometimes start swearing and cursing when my AFV's or tanks seem to ignore my orders to advance. In the heat of battle I forgot that I gave a HUNT command and indeed, they spotted a lone enemy rifleman and stop, f#cking up my brilliant planning.

This arcing solution that is mentioned doesn't suit me, since I tend to forget to UN-ARC later, with usually disastrous consequences. I hardly ever use HUNT anymore, certainly not for vehicles, I use SLOW.

For more tactical control, use Hunt with target arcs. The unit will ignore enemies (except suddenly close or overwhelming ones) outside of the arc while Hunting, so they won't stop just because they spot a rifle team 1000m away.

You sure? Because IME it does not work this way. A tank with a ACA will stop if he spots infantry outside the arc.

It would sure be nice if hunt would work together with CAs.

It would be great if the old hunt command (cmx1) would be introduced again (a unit will start to move again if it lose contact or destroy all spotted enemies). I cant recall if BF has explained if its to hard to implement in the cmx2 engine?

slow is the command to use. If you think about it, slow for armor now works the same way hunt did in cmX1.

The tank fire is accurate at slow, so it will engage and continue its attack. That is about all hunt did before except stopping while engaged.

Hunt is good for moving amor at blind locations where stopping is the best move if enemy units are spotted. Like over a ridge or around a blind corner in the road, somewhere that might be best to stop and engage, or maybe reverse back out of sight with the next command. So hunt is good for that, whereas we had no good options for that before.

So more commands would be good, but the present ones work fine if used with how they are designed.

slow is the command to use. If you think about it, slow for armor now works the same way hunt did in cmX1.

The tank fire is accurate at slow, so it will engage and continue its attack. That is about all hunt did before except stopping while engaged.

Hunt is good for moving amor at blind locations where stopping is the best move if enemy units are spotted. Like over a ridge or around a blind corner in the road, somewhere that might be best to stop and engage, or maybe reverse back out of sight with the next command. So hunt is good for that, whereas we had no good options for that before.

So more commands would be good, but the present ones work fine if used with how they are designed.

I don't remember who said it, but apparantly tanks are not as accurate on slow as they are when stationary.

So whilst it is an ok compromise, it still is a compromise that we shouldn't have to do.