ALLIED - CMBN-Market Garden - BETA AAR (the better beta beater reader)

31.00-30.00

My back left sneakers...

Not much happened with that halftrack of Bil's with reversed into the woods, deep on my left. I want to screen them out, but my forces are weak....

30final12.jpg

Overall, Bil is trying to bottle up my forces in the Ardennes. I'll see what I can do about that. I've got a nice gully in the Dunes to move up a piat team and finally kill that lucky Panther. Meantime, my mortars are coming down around the panther, where Bil has a 3.7cm flak and another halftrack. Open top? Enjoy the shells!

My tank isn't going to do much good gladding about in my backfield, so I'm moving it forwards. Yeah, I know. But the chaps have volunteered!

Ken out.

Ken, is that sniper the elite one mentioned earlier in the thread? How far was the shot that connected? How long is his life expectancy ;), and any thoughts on ways that it may be prolonged? How many different teams do you have in the steeple?

Steeple Sniper is merely a Veteran. If you squint at the screenshot, upstream, you can just make that out. The range was about 600m. Sorry, forgot to really check.

The other snipers, trying to pick off Bil's guys in the field near Ballsy Piat Pete are both Elite. I've got one in the wheatfield which was bridging my two positions. (The one near/containing Nessie. Okay, that'll be "Nessiefield".)

The other is in the plowed field forward of that. A bit of a hinge position. He's at the end of a finger of bocage. One of my Town Center piats is moving towards that position to be ready to take a shot at Jaggie 241.

(Does anyone NOT know why that one is "241"?)

Oh, I finally did a quick count of my Town Center piats. I've got 4, plus the one flanker (mentioned above), plus one more in Nessiefield (he's probably out of the fight unless I can entice Bil to come around his way). I may've missed one. Shrug. I fights mit vat I got. I'm not one to keep looking at a manpower spreadsheet. (cough) Bil (cough).

:)

Ken

When, or should I say "if", Bill's infantry enters town, small arms ammo will be spent as fast as I will spend my money on the MG-module (if it ever arrives, that is).

I certainly expect your stenguns to wreak havoc, but I wonder how their (average) ammo status is.

Please inform..

Seedorf81,

Excellent question. I'll show some of them next turn. I've got every section (squad for those of us who understand US terms) broken up into teams and spread out. That drops command and control, as well as cohesion, but these men or members of the Para Regiment. The don't need to feel warm and fuzzy to kill the enemy. They do it naturally. They're dispersed to cover avenues of approach and to reduce the likelihood of a single lucky round causing too many casualties.

Pix coming after the last turn's report...

Ken

Remeber C3K You don't need a Victory to beat Bill.

You just need to survive!

LOL! But I fully expect winged Victory to smile upon my men. Bil's forces were unexpected, but without the Town Center, they cannot get out of the pocket being formed by other Allied armies. We here are doing our bit for the war effort.

Seriously, Meeting Engagement: 5 objectives (and I have NO idea what their point values are, no do I care at this juncture). 1 "write off" in Bil's setup zone. He may or may not own that. Shrug. 3 road junctions on his side of the map, behind the windmill. I can't get to them, just not enough combat power. (Unless I do something underhanded with my men in the Ardennes... Hmm. :) ) The other one? Town Center, the one I started out as saying it was too far away across terrain which would isolate it. Go ahead and read my analysis. I stick with it. However, once the others were slammed shut to me, I went whole-hog after the Town Center.

I dismiss any valuation given to the road intersectins. :) The Town is the key.

Ken.

30.00-29.00

Sneakers

29sneakers06.jpg

29sneakers07.jpg

29sneakers08.jpg

I've got to keep this tank moving and shooting. At best, it will increase my left wing's leverage which, in turn, will only be used to relieve pressure on the town. As such, this piece of hardware is of tertiary importance. But I've told the crew that their contribution is critical: Churchill himself is watching. It may not be fair, but it'll keep 'em at it long after others would've quit.

More...

30.00-29.00

Town Center and Overview

Not much happens this turn. I don't think I even had a single wounded man. Bil fires, to no effect, and shifts some men about.

29towncenter13.jpg

29Overview14.jpg

As shown, I've finally ordered a bunch of smoke. It won't be thick, it won't last long. But, using the wind, it should force Bil to either wait it out or shift his attack plan. Any way, I come out ahead. If he shifts, I may get some Piat shots. That'd be good. If he waits, well, each turn he doesn't close with the Town is a turn less he has to fight for it.

Ken out.

Thanks. I need to take solace wherever I can in this battle! FWIW, a sniper did not kill that running German in the field. I'd moved my No. 4 Platoon HQ out of the barn and into the trees in front of the barn for better LOS. One of them got the kill.