ALLIED - CMBN-Market Garden - BETA AAR (the better beta beater reader)

At the 28:00 point...

28Guttercorner20.jpg

Several good things this turn. It looks like my tank can clean up Gutter Corner. Bil is finally going to get closer to Town Center and that will let me kill more of his men. Bad news? Well, the loss of No. 5 Platoon HQ is a hit, but minor, overall.

One addenda: I have another Piat team in Town Center, near the church cemetary.

Ask, and ye shall be answered. Sorry for the brevity.

Ken out.

The yellow script over the images looks a bit small in this batch. (I know: "Complain, complain, complain.")

Michael

Yes, I noticed that as well, but only after they appeared in-thread. I was forced to use a novel approach on this batch of screenies. That must've led to the compression. Just imagine me speaking them with a high pitched voice. ;)

Though unemployment figures are currently very high, and my job might be on the line, I most certainly would NOT apply for the vacancy of machine gunner in a Sdkfz.

It must be THE most lethal position in all of Combat Mission's history.

Yes, I am rather enjoying that aspect of the oft-vaunted marksmanship of HM's soldiers. It's far nicer than having Bil's armored spies also let loose streams of lead. Plus it's good for the lads, isn't it?

Bil has left a decent force covering the windmill, and hence the road intersection objectives. Clever Bil. I'll try mortaring them, just a bit, and seeing if I can squeeze into them a bit. Using the Dune gulley and getting into the wheatfield would be the way to go. Yes, that's No. 5 Platoon's sector. They're slowly building up losses. Okay, not so slowly.

I'm very curious about the arty calls No. 5 had going. I may try to adjust one and let the other just keep going. (As long as it helps.) If all else fails, I can just move my mortar. (All my arty is my on-board mortars. I have 8. Six are in an arty park, the other two are in the front line. One by No. 4 Platoon - yellow diamond upstream - and the other by Nessiefield.)

Ken

...machine gunner in a Sdkfz...must be THE most lethal position in all of Combat Mission's history.

I think "gunner in a US halftrack" is probably slightly worse.

...arty calls No. 5 had going. I may try to adjust one...

Since the HQ hasn't got a leader any more I'd be surprised if you can do anything to those missions or, indeed, any support asset. They'll just have to run their course won't they?

Very true, but I'm always trying to see what I can do to break the code. Err, push the boundaries. And if it gives me an advantage over Bil, so much the better! Seriously, as long as the shells are helping me I'll keep 'em raining down. If they go astray I can always packup the firing unit to cause a ceasefire. That's a benefit of onboard assets.

c3k,

That sounds like a smart use of smoke! Don't know whether the in-game modeling reflects it, but the combat accounts I've read talk about what excellent targets infantry makes once out of the smoke on the hostile side of the screen. That high contrast ratio between the targeted soldiery and the white backdrop makes for splendid shooting. Speaking of shooting, you seem not only to be doing it, but getting positive results.

Regards,

John Kettler

No you're a dirty rat, according to the Lads suffering under your command.

Suffering? Those lads THANK me! I've given purpose to their drab lives. A bit of spice for them to to salt their tales with if they ever get back to their neighborhood pub. Then, years later, after swilling countless pints of ale, the survivors will be pining to have another chance for a GLORIOUS ending! Aye, they'll think of me every time they swill their beer.

:)

c3k,

That sounds like a smart use of smoke! Don't know whether the in-game modeling reflects it, but the combat accounts I've read talk about what excellent targets infantry makes once out of the smoke on the hostile side of the screen. That high contrast ratio between the targeted soldiery and the white backdrop makes for splendid shooting. Speaking of shooting, you seem not only to be doing it, but getting positive results.

Regards,

John Kettler

I don't think the game takes into account contrast for spotting. That may be a bit too detailed, and too heavy of a processor load, for now.

If your arty is on-board, then you can simply give a cease fire command directly to the mortar, in the menu as you would with any other unit, and that fire mission is over. No need to move or pack up. I learned this by accident once.

Or is my memory completely deceiving me?

Suffering? Those lads THANK me! I've given purpose to their drab lives. A bit of spice for them to to salt their tales with if they ever get back to their neighborhood pub. Then, years later, after swilling countless pints of ale, the survivors will be pining to have another chance for a GLORIOUS ending! Aye, they'll think of me every time they swill their beer.

:)

Ah, so you're the reason for the decline of the British Pub...

Ah, so you're the reason for the decline of the British Pub...

I'll have you know that I have spent years in a personal, quixotic, quest to raise the pub industry, single handedly. Or single mug-edly. All for nought. One draught at a time. :)

Game: Bil's tank rush is a bit earlier than I'd expected. I guess he feels the pressure of the clock. He doesn't have much infantry. Of course, my lads in the Town aren't so numerous, either. I'm glad I shovelled in as many as I could once I got a toehold there. I won't be trucking in any reinforcements. Bil has done a good job of ratcheting up the pressure on the Ardennes/Dune sector at the same time he began his town attack.

It's the early phase of the final battle. :) My goal will be to keep his tanks and halftracks at arm's length, while maintaining enough paras to conduct the house to house fighting.

Ken

I'll have you know that I have spent years in a personal, quixotic, quest to raise the pub industry, single handedly. Or single mug-edly. All for nought. One draught at a time. :)

A valiant effort to make amends, I'm sure, but have you seen how much a british squaddie (I make no comparisons with other stalwart sojer boys of other nations) drinks? No single man could make up for the lost revenue of a platoon of paras killed, however gloriously...

A valiant effort to make amends, I'm sure, but have you seen how much a british squaddie (I make no comparisons with other stalwart sojer boys of other nations) drinks? No single man could make up for the lost revenue of a platoon of paras killed, however gloriously...

Too true, that. I've got a hilarious story, which I cannot relate here, about a buddy who had a 96 hour pass in Frankfurt after having spent a long, dry, 5 months in the sandbox. Amazing what a liver can do.