Excellent Job!

I just got the Italy/Gustav Line and I'm loving it.

Thanks to all those who wrote AAR's. It's fun to read and it has enticed me to try my hand at PBEM. Looks like I'll be playing this for years.

Its fortunate we have indy developers making games/sims like this. I have a few PBEM games going, but I'm open to 1 or 2 more. I'm starting out small at the moment, but open to medium sized games.

If you haven't tried it I would serious recommend you try out PBEM games. I suspect like most I generally play against the computer, but the PBEM system is perfectly geared towards those who work and have other obligations.

What I like best is unlike some other online tactical games you don't see spamming of units and bull rushes with Combat Mission. I've tried some other online games and was immediately turned off when you see tank rushes and other gamey behavior.

db_zero,

Welcome aboard!

I don't own CMFI, much less GL (still learning CMx2 via CMBN), but I have considerable PBEM experience from my CMx1 days. PBEM is indeed the way to go for busy people. In tournament, I once had four battles raging simultaneously. Am sure you'll have loads of great wargaming and will learn tons from the very knowledgeable people here. You have but to ask for help, should you need it, and your fellow gamers will respond.

Regards,

John Kettler

I played the original CM to Death and got CMBN when it first came out. I also have all of the Shock Force series.

It goes without saying that playing against the AI and humans is night and day.

I watched all the the Armchair General videos on You Tube to kind of prep myself for online play and being as complex as it is I really have more to learn even with hours of play on hand. I really wish AG would make more videos.

IIRC the original CM had a seek hull down command for tanks. Wonder why that didn't make it.

yeah, when I first saw Italy and then Gustav Line I though meh. I'd get it eventually. Now that I got it it exceeded my expectations. There is something about it that just clicks.

I just got it and I haven't played it extensively, but the terrain and environment works for me. It has that "X" factor that you can't just put into works. I just finished a battle where I used the gullies and ravines to advance infantry while being shielded from observation and fire. The little mini battles and skirmishes around clumps of trees and farms are intense.

Far, far different than Normandy. I'm sure the battles around villages and towns in hills and small cities battles are going to be intense.

I showed this off to a friend he is dying to play, but the wifey has forbidden him to "not even think about it"...

IIRC the original CM had a seek hull down command for tanks. Wonder why that didn't make it.

I suspect it's got a fair bit to do with the complexity in the terrain mapping. It does look at first blush like it shouldn't be a terribly computationally difficult task, but if it were easy, I think it would probably have been quite high up the list...