White Manor AAR: c3k as ALLIES

This is a companion AAR to sfhand's defending Germans, over here: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=110164

I was challenged by sfhand to a combination pbem test and AAR of v2.0 of “White Manor”, a battle by Macisle based on his beautiful map, linked here: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=109259&highlight=Macisle

My first thought upon seeing this map was that it’s a work of art. Macisle has done a wonderful job recreating a real-world location and porting it into our game-world. Thank you for your work. My understanding is that JonS also provided assistance to Macisle to create a battle based on the map. Kudos to both for their efforts in making this battle.

Sfhand and I have played several pbem games, all of which have been enjoyable. The only pre-battle agreement I seek is to ban any first turn bombardment of the setup area. Later bombardments, based on spotted units, are fine. Also, whereas I don’t begrudge any opponent the use of any in-game tool or order, I refuse to use my own artillery in anything other than Area Target with a 35-50m minimum radius. I don’t think WWII on-call artillery could or should use Linear or Spot targeting, or have a tighter sheaf than 50m radius. I use 35m for on-call 60mm mortars. It’s my thing after I was convinced of it by some arty grogs, and, again, I don’t expect others to use this rule. The game allows linear bombardments. Bocage positions are ripe for such an attack. Pre-planned bombardments are not so-limited in my mind.

I did not read any other AAR’s of this battle, nor did I have any knowledge of the forces or objectives before I agreed to play. I plunged in, cold.

I was the attacking US, tasked with gaining and controlling some terrain objectives.

The objectives were to take the two intersections, and the village in between. They are split into about 8 different zones. They increase in value as they get further away from my start line. That gives the attacker an incentive to strike deep. I really like this design choice: well done!

WMSetup.jpg

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My at-start forces were 2 infantry companies and a platoon of M5 Stuarts. The infantry companies, which each have their organic MMG platoon (of 2 teams), get 2 batteries of 81mm mortars and 3 of 60mm to share. There is one FO to help call in the mortars. Additionally, I have one engineer squad with some demo charges with their platoon HQ. Finally, there is a single deuce and a half to act as an ammo resupply point.

WMinitialforcesscreen.jpg

On to the AAR!

I’ve decided to take some of the actual comm logs as recorded during the battle by my personal aide de camp, and post them here. I’ll intersperse them with various screenshots and commentary. Since this is mostly a summary, I’ll post pix from about every second or fourth turn. Exceptions will only be when my men were suitably heroic.

The men were gathered for c3k’s usual pre-battle meeting (something often skipped by lesser commanders)…

“Men!” he said, “You have the honor of being chosen to fight the upcoming battle! Other, weaker, men have not been allowed to step upon this field! Some of you know my reputation. Yes, I will aggressively attack the enemy! Have no fear that you’ll be relegated to some backwater. Each of you will have the opportunity to prove your manliness. Those who are wounded by the enemy will consecrate this field with their blood. What a shame if that blood is spilled without gaining glory. Have no fear: you’ll each have a chance at glory!”

The men replied with spontaneous expressions of enthusiasm: “I will gladly die for your glory!” “My blood is yours to spill as you see fit!” “I only ask that I have the chance to grapple with the enemy before I die!” “This daft bastard’s going to be the death of me.” “My bayonet is thirsty!” “Crap, I got assigned to THIS guy…””Did anyone volunteer for this?”

“Men,” he continued, “you’ve seen the map. You’ve been briefed on the terrain objectives. Those are a chimera. Terrain does not matter! If you kill all of the enemy, the objectives will be yours!”

The ranks broke out with a chorus of “Kill them all! Kill them all! Kill them all!”

“Men,” c3k finished, “while you get the privilege of fighting tooth and nail to kill the enemy, I will have the far more difficult task of wrestling with the TRUE objective: the mind of the enemy’s leader! The blood you will spill will pale in comparison with the effort needed for me to get into his head. Battle is a contest of wills! I will use you as a tool to crush his will! By the end of your assault, he will beg for a cessation of hostilities! When he is supine before us, THEN, and only then, will you have achieved your true objective.”

“The MIND of the enemy commander is always the objective. The terrain is useful only to crush his forces. The death of his men will lead to his failure of purpose. When his will fails, then we will have won, regardless of the forces arrayed against us. This is how we will achieve glooorrryyy!!!”

“Dismissed.”

Overheard as the men marched to their form-up areas: “We’re lucky to have him leading us, aren’t we Sarge?”

“Shut up.”

Before I deployed my forces, I had to take some factors into account. In no particular order, and with no particular weighting, the factors included: objectives, terrain, correlation of forces, and my forum reputation. Yes, a public AAR brings a bit of scrutiny.

First, and foremost, I had to maintain a good attack tempo. This is a game; it is more fun when there is a lot of action. As attacker, I control the tempo. Or, at least, I’d better! In past games, sfhand has shown a great ability to call artillery on any stationary troops. I knew my men couldn’t stay long in any location. Plus, my forum reputation rests upon the concept that the decisive mode of combat is always the attack. Defense is purely temporary and only useful to help bring about a better attack, later. Besides, if I didn’t flog my men forward, I certainly couldn’t goad anyone on the forum for not doing likewise.

The Soviets would examine the correlation of forces. I started with no inkling of what I was facing. That saved me from doing any correlating.

The Germans would consider terrain critical. Only by securing the critical terrain could the attack succeed. That seemed like a good place to start.

Looking at the map, I determined that going up the middle, through the village, would be tantamount to suicide. A fight like that would suck my men into every house. It could take a squad for each house, or more. With 2 companies, that’s a total of 18 squads. That’s not enough to assault each house. Additionally, that type of attack would allow sfhand’s defenders to “squish” back, compressing like a spring, which would lead to increasing resistance the further I penetrated into the village. Instead, entering the village from the side, not the front, was the course of action I decided upon.

My maneuver would be crafted to strike through any expected defense and go deep before the Germans could regain their balance.

I had to go through the fields and slice into the village from the sides, rather than enter it along the main road. It’s always best to slice a snake from the side, rather than approach the head. But which side? Aye, there’s the rub…

Looking at the map, the bocage divides the map into a series of discrete areas. I determined that my final terrain objective was the far intersection, based on points, and the way that would surround any of sfhand’s forces in the village. In order to take that intersection, I needed to control the field adjacent to it. In order to control that field, I needed to control the next one, and so on. Using a backwards analysis, I found that the key to the entire attack seemed to be the plowed field on my right flank, halfway up the edge of the map.

That field would be my jumping-off objective. Therefore, I thought the battle would have three phases: gain the jump-off; attack the intersection; mop up.

WMTheBigPicture.jpg

(Most screenshots are from my 2 ½ year old laptop with minimal graphics ability. This shows how well CM scales from low-end to high-end machines. Don’t groan at the quality. Please.)

Setup and thoughts...followed by TURN 1

I don’t believe in splitting forces. Once you determine your objective, you must gain it. However, if I sent both companies and the tank platoon to my far right, like a gamey edge-hugging bastard, then sfhand could counter by shifting his defense. I had to leave some forces to pin his defenses in place, as well as keep him in the dark as to my objective until it was too late for him to react.

I put B Company to the right; C Company split with one platoon right, one platoon middle, and one platoon left. All the tanks went with B Company, as did the engineers. (C Company “right” was just right of the road. C Company “middle” was just left of the road. C Company “left” was the left map edge.)

WMCCompanyPlan.jpg

C Company’s job was to push. They had to push up the middle of the village, enough to represent a threat. They also had to threaten the immediate left flank (my perspective) of the village, as well as create a threat on the wide left flank. Their effort would free up B Company to create the breakthrough on the right.

The field circled in green, below, is what I have deemed to be the pivotal piece of terrain to allow my plan to work.

WMBcompanyPlan.jpg

C’s blood would allow B’s conquest. The men of Company C thanked me.

WMTurn1C3.jpg

Company C, 3rd Platoon, makes contact…

I’ve got every squad in this platoon split into teams. I want sfhand to think of this as the main threat, even though it is just a sideshow.

The first step would be to feel out his defenses. I assume he’d set up a screen and then have a main line with some reserves. I mean, that’s what any competent commander would do, right? ;)

To do that, basic bocage battle tactics take over. Line the friendly side with a fire base. Pick some lucky SOBs to gain glory for themselves by advancing into the field. Hopefully, the enemy will shoot at them. If not, give them the same chance in the next field. They’ll thank you, later. That will give away the enemy positions. Blanket them with small arms fire, maneuver to outflank them, gain the far bocage line. Rinse, lather, repeat. These are basics everyone should have been taught by their mothers before kindergarten.

WMTurn1C2.jpg

I’ve got Company C spread out. Their role is purely secondary and supportive.

Turn 1, continued...

Company B is compressed on the right. Although in a small area, I’ve tried to disperse the various elements so that one artillery round will not cripple an entire unit.

WMTurn1B3.jpg

WMTurn1B2.jpg

Overview at the end of turn 1...

WMTurn1overview.jpg

Turn 2:

The situation on the left continues to develop...

On the far side, C/1 is still in reserve. C/2 is moving up. (C/1 is in blue circles. C/2 is SELECTED, so their icons are orange.)

WMTurn2C2C1.jpg

We also see what C/3, the platoon just right of the road, is facing...

WMTurn2C3.jpg

It looks like that bocage "block" has plenty of juicy targets. I want them to stay there so I can kill them. I'll ooze around the flanks whilst TARGETING the spots. I'll also call in some arty. Again, this is the "sell". I want sfhand to worry about a direct thrust into the village.

Over on the far righ, I've got Company B performing its initial scouting...

WMTurn2B3.jpg

B/3 has been given the honor of leading the penetration. B/1 is behind them, setting up a base of fire across the tall grass field. B/2 is my eploitation force and will be held back.

The Stuarts will not enter a field until I'm reasonably sure it won't get toasted. The best way to do that is to move fast and in an unexpected direction. That's where the (few) demo charges will come in.

High praise indeed! Whereas some talk about recon-pull this or command-push that, I merely attack as and where I will.

I don't care which formation the enemy is from, I only want to know where they are. To the sounds of the cannon!

:)

Ken

Thank you very much, c3k, for doing this exellent AAR! You and Baneman share some of the same gift for being very funny and entertaining in your AAR posts. I am a lucky man, indeed, to have my map and scenario receive such fine attention. Thanks also for the kind words. They are very much appreciated!

It's going to be great to see the battle from the Allied side. BTW readers, though they are playing different opponents, c3k and Baneman are playing the same scenario version.

As I mentioned in Baneman's thread, I will, of course, wait until c3k finishes his AAR to start posting discussion in it about scenario improvement. If anyone has ideas and can't wait for the AAR to finish, please PM them to me.

Thanks!

But seriously:

This is a game of life and death! Can you please be serious about it?

As a German I have to request this!

Everything these often quoted Mr. Monty Python (South African I suppose) and Mr. Sout Park (Korean?!?) have said about our humour is right!

SO STOP IT!!! THAT IS AN ORDER!!!

Yours sincerely

Herman The German

P.S.:You and Baneman are EVIL.

:D :D :D

Oh good this looks like a very entertaining battle and write up - nice.

Allow me to play devils advocate for ya. I'll be the voice saying "Slow down, you are attacking too much" :D

Overheard as the men marched to their form-up areas: “We’re lucky to have him leading us, aren’t we Sarge?”

“Shut up.”

See, you own men are worried about your leadership. Yes, you have the green young guys all fired up but the crusty old Sargent knows what is coming. He knows your plan is reckless and the young guys are annoying him.

So, slow down do this right and bring your boys home.

:D

Ken, let me know the next time you come up to Virginia and we'll sit around with our drinking horns telling war stories and bragging about how many pixel soldiers we have sent to Valhalla.

I like your plan.. don't you think as soon as your opponent starts hearing your engineers blast holes in the bocage for your tanks that he'll start to think your C Company attack is a feint? Truthfully he doesn't need much to keep C Company's advance to a crawl.. and he can shift some serious assets easily towards your main effort. Not even one tank with C Company to help sell that as the main effort?

I'm watching and hoping to learn something, so don't let me down! ;)

Ken, let me know the next time you come up to Virginia and we'll sit around with our drinking horns telling war stories and bragging about how many pixel soldiers we have sent to Valhalla.

Sounds like fun. In fact, I'm pretty sure most of my men are begging me to send them to join their brethren in the great hall! I'm doing my best... ;)

I like your plan.. don't you think as soon as your opponent starts hearing your engineers blast holes in the bocage for your tanks that he'll start to think your C Company attack is a feint? Truthfully he doesn't need much to keep C Company's advance to a crawl.. and he can shift some serious assets easily towards your main effort. Not even one tank with C Company to help sell that as the main effort?

If he hears the engineers, then he's close enough to...DIE!!! The engineers will not assault: they're clearing unexpected passages for the tanks. So, the PBI will be leading. Any of sfhand's huns should be suppressed or engaged by the infantry. That infantry should have captured the important terrain before the engineers do their work.

I will, however, stay on the lookout for him to be moving reinforcements or reserves.

C Company: good observations. Since both B and C company are advancing without tanks in the initial phase, I've kept all the tanks behind B. True, he could stop C, but I don't care about that. In fact, the more forces he uses to stop C, the better. Remember, B will advance on the blood that C spills. :)

Single tanks are dead tanks. If I toss 2 tanks over to C's side, then I've kind of taken the schwer out of the punkt. (Kleinepunkt?) So, no, C will have to get the job done on grit, determination, and bravery. No matter how many casualties it takes. ;)

At least, that's my at-start plan.

I'm watching and hoping to learn something, so don't let me down! ;)

... said the master to the acolyte.

If he hears the engineers, then he's close enough to...DIE!!!

Sadly, that's not true. I know you know this, but engineer demolitions (and even jeeps squashing fences) are yawning gaps in the Fog of War, rolling back to show your intentions to your foe.

I've kind of taken the schwer out of the punkt. (Kleinepunkt?)...

Schwer means heavy, so "Leichtepunkt" might be near... :)

Blood is spilled!!!!

Here is the situation on my right at the end of the third minute:

WMTurn3B3.jpg

As you can see, I've got eyes on a 'schreck! (That thing has a grosse boom! (Thanks, womble, for showing me the "leichte". ;) ))

Oh, a needed aside: you may find a bit of hyperbole in my postings. If you're a newb, I do not suggest that do as I say. Unless you're a bloodthirsty savage!

Back to the game!

My B3 (B company, 3rd platoon) scouts which were pictured upstream, did their job. Sfhand's Huns (sounds cool; "hand's huns"), opened up on them. That revealed their location. Now my team at the far right sees them and has ID'ed them. (Remember, this is pre-GL FOW, so you get a bit too much intel.) That team has a simple job: kill the enemy!

These are the orders I gave them:

WMTurn4OrdersB31.jpg

The covered arc is to keep 'em focused on the job at hand. If sfhand has anyone at the far end of the field, I'll deal with them later. This field is needed to get my Stuarts through the front. I'll demo a gap in it later. You can see the gates and gaps beyond on which lead to an almost unfettered romping opportunity. So, if there are Germans at the far end, they are immaterial for the next few turns...

Just to the left of this breakthrough zone, are the doughty boys of C3...

WMTurn3C3.jpg

I've selected their platoon HQ so you can see them all. They don't all see one another, but that's okay: they can see their targets. I've got all/most of them either TARGETING or LIGHT TARGETING the enemy "?" locations. The platoon HQ has a covered arc so it won't give away its location. (After all, I don't want valuable men to die. The others can. And they'll be grateful.) I've got an arty mission being called in. That corner is the key to that entire bocage defense. I'd like to get some teams into the farm buildings (circled in green), and then up to the corner. The arty will suppress sfhand's corner defenders...

C3 is the main sell. Their push should keep B's right flank from being reinforced from the center.

Oh, blood? You wanted to SEE the blood? Very well...

In the midst of the turn, at 17:35, my scouts were done pausing. (Remember the image with them with 10 seconds left on their pause, up several postings ago?) They got up and ran, like men, with the rest of B3 watching through the bocage.

WMTurn3blood001.jpg

Then it happened! Hidden Huns firing from hidden positions! Cowards.

WMTurn3blood002.jpg

Well, that didn't stop the NEXT team from following their orders! (Remember, WeGo: this was plotted out at the end of the last turn. Control? I don't think so...) These three men would get it done! Cross the field, GO, GO, GO!

WMTurn3blood003.jpg

Fleet of foot, these three brave men are proof against any German trick!

WMTurn3blood004.jpg

And that's how I ended up with two men at the bocage. True, I'd planned on 5, but 2 of my men are the EQUAL of 5 of sfhand's men! So, all in all, I got as many up there as I needed.

Like pre-game jitters, the first blood settles the team down. Now we can get on with it. Well done, you two.

This is a view from behind the two guys from B3 on my extreme right. It's taken from just off the edge and shows the terrain undulations.

WMTurn4Blookingattheedge.jpg

You can see the survivor of my two man scout team, over on the left, as well as the "?" marker from the fiendish huns who caused the casualties within the last half minute.

Macisle has created some superb gaming opportunities with this map. Even an open field has a lot of nooks and crannies.

Turn 4, from 17:00-16:01.

This is what my two men have wrought!!!

WMTurn4Blookingatgerms.jpg

Yeah, a pair of Garands with some MOTIVATED troopers can reap a deadly harvest. Now do you see why it is so important to give the troops a motivational speech before each battle?

Not only had sfhand placed a 'schreck team there, but he also had a 4 man rifle team! (The dead 'schreckers are circled in red.) Now, I don't want you to think that my two men were supermen. They got a little bit of help. They suppressed the Germans whilst this manuever unfolded:

WMTurn4Overview.jpg

More of B3 came up on line to help the 2 men. That's the orange circle/arrows. If you look carefully, by the left-most orange arrow you can see some tracers. I'm area firing at the junction line of the bocages. I don't know if sfhand has anyone there, in addition to the 6 men I've spotted. Yes, I now control this plowed field. I'll have to check the far bocage and flank the near line, as well, before I enter it.

You can see how I'm developing the center and the left. The notes explain my thoughts...

In a perfect world, B3 would hold up while C gains more contact. Pshaw. My men's fury to attack cannot be contained. They will press, always forward!

WMTurn4OrdersB31.jpg

The covered arc is to keep 'em focused on the job at hand. If sfhand has anyone at the far end of the field, I'll deal with them later.

While pretty aggressive, as expected, your plan looks pretty solid so far. Given that sending scouts out with the rest of the platoon covering them is the right thing to do there is no need for me to sound my refrain to slow down and do things properly. :)

On a more serious note, I do want to ask you about the covered arc though. I would hesitate to use an arc like that - what if the shrek team moves along the bocage to their right and out of the arc?

I would have given them no orders - if they see the Shrek team the will attack it. Or perhaps I would have considered giving them a Target Briefly command just to be sure they spent some time shooting at the Shrek team but leaving them to defend them selves from any other threats should something new appear.

Or in keeping with your desire to prevent them from firing at the opposite bocage line you could have given them a circular arch that reached almost to the other bocage line. That way the Shrek team cannot step out of the arch without fully withdrawing and if some enemy broke free from the opposite bocage line and charged your position they would come under fire as they crossed the field.

my 2cents from the peanut gallery