Macisle's Map - Axis AAR - *** Here be SPOILERS ***

Ok, we're back in business, although it seems my opponent is taking the ultra-cautious route.

Which is a pity since he has time and probably numbers on his side, so a reckless charge into my defences would be a far superior approach ( for me :) ).

Perhaps I can get c3k to give him some "advice" :D

Here you can see my picket man has redeployed from position (1) to (2) - although given the slow approach by the enemy, he could probably have stayed longer at (1). His job is now to note when the enemy are about to enter or reach that house since I have a TRP there. You can also see I have a clutch of mines masking the bocage exit from that area :)

LMG team at (3) saw and fired on an approach by a couple of guys - probably a scout element - hitting one man at (4) - a second was seen immediately digging for victory - you can just barely see the cross beginning to show next to Mr Gopher.

No other sights or sounds as yet.

aar0052ndcontact.jpg

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For my part I'm hoping that these early ( fortuitous ) casualties I've caused will convince him to expend (waste) vast firepower on my extremely sparsely defended "front line".

Despite that damned scenario designer ;) placing the highest value on the frontmost VL, I'm prepared to let it go and hoping to turn it into a kill-sack.

Well, it was bound to happen.

Driven insane by curiosity, I sent my picket back to his original position - and curiosity killed the picket. But not before he spotted a Stuart. So at least he gave me some intel.

Usually I try to override these foolish impulses, because I know it's going to get him killed, but sometimes you're just not strong enough. So he died in the vegetable patch.

This pic also shows a couple of my mine spots - the building complex on the left of the main road doesn't have any doors on the enemy side, so hopefully he will come in via the entrance or blow a hole in the bocage behind it and try come down the side ;)

aar006intelandfoolishne.jpg

Not much is happening on the left, but I forgot to mention that last turn there was a large bang and a piece of bocage went up in smoke. This turn there's engine noise over there.

Well, at least I know he doesn't have Rhinos - or at least, not a lot.

You can also see a couple of my TRP's which are close enough to drop a linear barrage on the other side of that long bocage section as well as still being of use after he's come through :D

aar007leftcentre.jpg

A quick turn turnaround and still things are quiet. Although in the next field over, my LMG team spots a second Stuart, idling ominously. It doesn't seem to have seen them yet and luckily for me, it's buttoned, so they didn't shoot at it - hooray for the TacAI :)

Mr Gopher has apparently reached China as there is no sign of him. I hope he's not crawling towards me through the long grass with a bowie knife in his teeth...

aar008whoa.jpg

OMG, he WAS crawling towards me with a bayonet at least ! Still, we got him, so hopefully that half squad will be somewhat brittle now.

Of course, with the verdammt Stuart watching, I now have to get out of there, crawling seems the best option especially if there's going to be Canister howling through the hedge :(

aar009creeper.jpg

No shrecks on the line unfortunately - I was worried about early artillery barrages. But I am moving one up on the right flank because if he's going to continue to stick tanks' noses out ahead of the infantry, I must make him pay.

I always split squads and generally straight down the middle - here I'm using the 2 LMG teams and 2 Scout teams to keep forward eyes. All squads have PF's to varying degrees, sometimes just one, a few have a couple of K's as well.

I run each turn several times and cruise around the battle map listening for the faint sounds of mines going off. The engine lets you see the small puff as it goes off even if you do not have LOS or see any type contacts. I ran a test and sometimes 1 mine popping off takes out 2 or 3 guys not just one. War is vicious..

The only thing I thought AFTER buying mixed mines and starting my game was that I should have stuck with straight AP mines in those little garden paths.

Any mortar strikes being set-up? Harass mission on quick duration. Just a few rounds to upset his apple cart. I don't know if he bought apple carts, he isn't doing his own AAR thread ;-)

GO BIG GREY!

Thanks Mac - I have chopped off the top part of the Tactical Map to give an idea of where the action is that I've already shown.

The Picket is now dead and the arrows show his 2 positions. The Schreck team shown has good LoS up the road, just in case the enemy decide to actually send a tank there ( unlikely, but it has to be taken into account ).

The half-squad shown in the Mayor's House can only see and fire to the sides, which I hope will preserve them as a "nasty shock" to any enemy infantry going past.

Just below the Church is another Schreck team ( not shown yet ) moving up towards the Half-squad on the right in the cornfield to increase my AT capability on the right flank.

aar010tacmappart.jpg

Great AAR, that is a good overhead system, color coded and simple, the "Banemanian method"? TM

I only see one small recommendation, make your side and his side text different colors maybe? :)

For your particular skill levels of FO and mortars what does it show is your best lead time for mortars? 3 minutes to TRP's?

Maybe set up a linear mission now and you might have it dropping by the time they are there? You can get the nice orange diamond of perfection even as far away as 50m from a TRP. Of course you probably know all this already...

aar010tacmappart_zps772d38e6.jpg

Or are you even more devilish and will go with the 5 minute delay and it rains down on his follow-on squads/sections and you make mincemeat of the shaken or rattled enemy trapped under fire on YOUR side of the linear mission line?

GO BIG GREY!!!

OK, OK, I will simmer down and try and be patient and see how you do things.... :(

Hehe, at the moment I am having to be patient - as usual on the defender's side, there's little to do until things get really hot.

Must. Resist. Urge. To. Tinker. With. The. Plan.

My opponent is obviously scheming and plotting and not going to do anything rash. Pity.

My guess for the next couple of turns is that he's going to hold where he is for now and probe one or other side to "feel out the defences" some more. Which is fine, if that Stuart sits still for about 3 more turns, I may be able to crawl the schreck team up to spoil its day.

Ok, new turn and my LMG team crept away, quiet as the decrepit cat in the crypt. Upon reaching their destination 1 AS away, they immediately gave away their position firing on something I could not see at all.

So they can damn well crawl back to where they came from ! :)

Almost no other movement seen this turn - except a vehicle contact over on the left - where, it seems to be moving towards the ( oh please, please ! ) "irrisistible gully" - which is covered by my 50mm PAK and a schreck :D

aar011leftmvmt.jpg

Just what the doctor ordered... ( this picture makes me think of the scene in Band of Brothers where they watch the German barrel in the hay start to move :) )

aar012lefthandofdarknes.jpg

PS: The scenario is an hour and 20 minutes from start, so there's plenty of time for my opponent to be cautious and feel his way forward. Can't hold that against him.

Things are still quiet...except the expected shelling has begun - a lone - presumably spotting - round landed this turn. Can't really be sure where the barrage will land, so the team there are not moving, just hugging the ground and hoping.

I've shown the Schreck team that are moving up to the front ( arrow ) and also of note is the ATG ammo-bearers. They have an MG34, so I've put them relatively far forward, but in a house behind another as I don't want them to be spotted and thus give away the existence of an ATG. From their position, they can cover the Field-of-the-Shell, but can't be seen from the front.

aar013shelldrop.jpg