Bump for the CMAK Companion

For what its worth, I took the plunge to purchase and pay the S&H a week ago. Upon receipt yesterday, I glanced through it briefly. My first thoughts are that I received far more value than I expected. This is a handy little treasure of many many gems. Buy it you can. Be patient if you can't. I suspect the wait will prove worthwhile. Thank you @76mm for going through the trouble to make this more globally available. Good luck and good gaming.

Thanks for the kind words in the last couple of posts. Here is a link to a few excerpts from the book, so that people can get a better understanding of the content: http://www.vervecom.net/Excerpts.pdf

Note that the footers in the attached excerpts (unlike in the book) reflect the wrong dates, it is a Word footer thing...the first excerpt describes Operation Husky, the rest describe actions in Italy, including one regarding the Gustav Line.

The Companion is excellent reading and I would recommend it to anyone.

The problem appears to be the shipping costs being disproportionately high. Has anyone investigated the chances of slipping them across them in bulk to a reseller in Europe and Canada? I was in New Brunswick in October so somebody giving me 50 copies coming up from Maine [OK so its an 8 hour round trip to Woodstock but ..] I could be selling them here against receipt of funds.

How many are left?

Just got my copy, definitely worth it and I have just skimmed it so far. Was reading the report on the first US vs German armor engagement. Stuarts vs Pz IV (or maybe III was reading it late last night). The article was entitled I think "What were you aiming at"? It was about how much more accurate the 37mm gun was than the 75mm. They were literally aiming at the last sprocket on the drive as they found a weak spot in the armor that would induce a vehicle fire.

That would be a cool feature for them to add at some point, units targeting specific parts of tanks. Not something you'd order specifically, just kind of like they target the commander when hes opened up or they prefer targeting priority targets like officers (which they really do do right?) they might target certain parts of the tank. This will be more important when we have anti tank rifles. It would be nice if they would aim at vision blocks or tracks or mgs or turret rings or weak points or whatever. It could even be treated as a special thing like throwing grenades where they need extra leadership/unsuppression/experience to do it. Instead of Aiming, it might say Aiming Hard ;) lol

76mm,

I can personally vouch for the excellence of your book, and I do not envy you for having to obtain all those permissions for copyrighted material. What kinds of fees did they charge, having never gone through that drill myself?

The book has a wonderfully diverse set of combat stories and anecdotes. Also, one of the earliest encounters between the British and the Germans (armored cars on both sides) is described from the British side in your book and from the German side in Heckmann's wonderful ROMMEL'S WAR IN AFRICA.

For $10, this thing's a steal, especially at today's ghastly book prices. I am appalled, though, at the astronomic overseas delivery fees, for which I see no justification.

People, if you don't have it, buy this book! You'll be glad you did.

Regards,

John Kettler

...I do not envy you for having to obtain all those permissions for copyrighted material. What kinds of fees did they charge, having never gone through that drill myself?

The cost of permissions was really all over the map...some publishers gave permission for free, others wanted a reasonable fee, others wanted ridiculous amounts, and yet others simply refused permission altogether, didn't respond at all, etc. Finally, for some books, I couldn't even find the rights-holder (authors died, publishers shut down, etc.). Altogether I spent several thousand dollars paying for these permissions, I forget exactly how much at this point.

Also, I should point out that Heckman's account about the early German-British encounter in Africa is also in my book (although also from the British side) (see excerpt 9).

• 2 months later...