Interesting Trilogy

I read the first two and while I like the idea of gaming that period I can't say they are well written. The first book I believe has this American of Native Indian descent whirling into a close combat fight using his tomahawks.... umm really? This guy went through basic and shipped off to Europe carrying his tomahawks.... There is a lot of that. Really lousy stereotype images for character creation and it crosses all nationalities. Lazy work at best. Still it is the only thing quite of the genre out there so you take what you can get.

I've gotta agree. The excerpts commit a whole host of the writing sins, starting with the classic "describe the main character by showing him staring in the mirror and describing himself to himself."

But a lot of military fiction suffers from very poor writing. In general, the prose quality is inversely proportional to how quickly the author turns to weapon calibers.

.... umm really? This guy went through basic and shipped off to Europe carrying his tomahawks....

Not defending the books—which I have not read—but I recall reading something long years ago about tomahawks being available as an official optional personal weapons. Probably only available to special forces like commandoes or rangers or paratroops.

Michael

Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys: didn't they include tomahawks as req'd pieces of kit? As well as starting a credo... (Someone insert it, with its frontier-speak grammar. :) )

I don't recall. But according to Wikipedia, Remember Baker so impressed the local indians that when they chopped him up they took his head and showed it around in triumph until the British Army made them clean up the mess and bury all of Remember Baker's parts in one place.

Which in frontier-speak might run:

Remember where you put all of Remember's members!

Though perhaps that had to be conveyed in sign language or even Frontier-French.

ISTR an anecdote in Hastings' "Overlord" about a Chaplain in a US inf bn who became very popular because he happened to have a hatchet he'd bought privately in England, which proved extraordinarily useful when digging in amongst the tough and twisted roots at the foot of a hedgerow.

Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys: didn't they include tomahawks as req'd pieces of kit? As well as starting a credo... (Someone insert it, with its frontier-speak grammar. :) )

I suspect you might be confusing the Green Mountain Boys with Rodger's Rangers who specifically carried tomahawks as part of their combat kit. The GMB's were irregulars. Some certainly carried but not all as SOP standard issue like the Rangers.

Many elite spec ops units use them today such as delta and the seals, my dad happens to have a friend who was in the 160th SOAR and he has had his tomahawk since his first deploy ment to somlia, he actually was a pilot for a little bird and carried the deltas in and out during the blackhawk down incident.