Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

How do you review a turn?

I found that (and the armchair general tutorial somhow implied that) systematically reviewing a turn greatly improves situational awareness. When i watch the movie, i try to answear the following questions:

1) Did i take any casualties? If yes, how did that happen? What effect does the enemy fire have on my troops?

2) What effect does my fire have on the enemy?

3) Concluding from the above two: am i winning all current firefights? How can i improve the situation and if i cant, is breaking contact and retreating a better option?

4) Are spotting rounds landing anywhere near my position?

5) Whats my troops ammo/manpower status?

6) Is everything going according to the 'big plan'?

I found that (and the armchair general tutorial somhow implied that) systematically reviewing a turn greatly improves situational awareness. When i watch the movie, i try to answear the following questions:

1) Did i take any casualties? If yes, how did that happen? What effect does the enemy fire have on my troops?

3) Concluding from the above two: am i winning all current firefights? How can i improve the situation and if i cant, is breaking contact and retreating a better option?

That is a pretty good list. I often screw up number 5. I cannot count the number of times I have missed that my troops pressing forward are out of amo for a couple of turns. Very embarrassing.

<snipped>

<snipped>

This is a good checklist for how one should review a turn. I typically forget 4 and 5. In addition I also ask,

7) What did the enemy do?

8) Where is the enemy moving?

9) What new threats just appeared?

10) Is it time to change the plan?

Good luck and good gaming!

I have a checklist printed out by my monitor.

1) Armor:

Skip to the end: Are there more columns of smoke and flame among my armored positions than at the beginning of the turn?

If "Yes": Drink.

For the enemy?

If "No": Drink

2) Go back to the beginning: FF through the turn. Are there a bunch of pretty orange lights blinking on and off among my unit icons?

3) Arty:

Friendly fire casualties?

On the third+ turn of "Spotting" for a mission?

and so on.

I guess it's really more of a drinking game.

I watch the 1st time from level 8 or 9 just to see who flashes and look for vehicle penetration alerts.

Then it is on to lower levels for each mini-battle, to see who is doing what to who. Each firefight or activity gets multiple views.

Most of my repeat views are at levels 1-3 from the enemy perspective or alongside suspected enemy positions. I listen for the screams to see how I am doing. :)

If some real eye-candy activity takes place, the turn is delayed for quite some time. I will watch a good team on team fight for ten minutes.

Before I switch to command phase I will click through the paused movie in ten second increments using the advance button. This allows me to track enemy vehicle sound contacts like sonar. ;) ping, ping, ping... they move across the map. I love folks that run armor flat out. Behind 200 meters of trees, and it may as well be in plain sight on open ground.

I use the same basic system that is listed in posts above as well. I check ammo and state, make sure no one is getting hung out to dry, and that I am not blindly ignoring the enemy's plan to continue with my own.