Jeep ammo

Hilts

Hi all. I've got some guys involved in a viscious firefight who are running low on ammo. There is a jeep nearby with ammo on board but I don't want to take it too close in case it gets shot up. I'm proposing to have the driver acquire the ammo and run with it to the beleagured troops. Question is, will he share it with them automatically when he gets within one action square? They are all the same nationality but not necessarily from the same unit.....

only if the driver is under the same HQ (e.g. platoon or section) as the unit you want to share with.

Oh Nuts!......So it sounds like it's a case of driving the jeep into the fray and then having each unit board, acquire and dismount! Hang on! One of the units could run to the jeep and acquire and then auto-share with his mates..... Right?

Best thing to do is to shoot the driver and then buddy aid him.

:D

Michael

Unfortunately, small arms won't cause friendly fire.

So you'll just have to Area Fire at less than about 16m, and hope the grenades get him :) Or find a friendly neighbourhod Ma Deuce and use that in area fire... At least the bug where your Buddy Aider wouldn't pick up the ammo is fixed in 1.11

Best thing to do is to shoot the driver and then buddy aid him.

:D

Michael

So, the beleagured guys are almost out of ammo. Salvation! A buddy suddenly appears carrying two crates of ammo but they refuse to share because they're not in the same platoon?? (like kids in a playground)...but if he happens to get killed they can pick over him like vultures!

Wow!..I wonder who thought that one up. Lol

I have learned to keep jeeps, trucks, H - tracks behind troops (within1 action square) in the best cover as possible. In this way infantry will automatically acquire about 20 rounds a pop of its ammo when out. This works best when troops are in a building with the vehicle hidden behind it. It even works if troops are on higher story buildings. Best success has been with light machine guns that run through ammo quick, and don’t carry as much as heavies. One can keep them supplied with low maintenance this way. You do not need to keep loading the troops in the vehicle to acquire. This also gives use of the radio if the vehicle has one.

So, the beleagured guys are almost out of ammo. Salvation! A buddy suddenly appears carrying two crates of ammo but they refuse to share because they're not in the same platoon?? (like kids in a playground)...but if he happens to get killed they can pick over him like vultures!

Wow!..I wonder who thought that one up. Lol

The whole inventory transfer/sharing system is a mess of compromises. If you can share ammo at the moment, it doesn't matter what delivery systems you're sharing between. M1 ball carried by a platoon M1919 (i.e. in belts) can instantly be converted into clips for the Garand or magazines for the BAR. 9mm can instamagically switch from P38 magazines to MP40 mags. You can also grab hundreds of rounds of appropriately-loaded ammo from a vehicle in less than 2 minutes (or instantly in RT). For that flexibility you pay by losing the ability to share between platoons. Which would you rather have? I prefer the current system to no sharing, which is pretty much the alternative.

I'd like (nay, love) the inventory system to be more in-depth and detailed, but that's perhaps for the future.

Now you point out the compromises in detail it does seem bizarre not to allow the one thing that logically COULD happen in real life.

And to revert to my previous suggestion that only half be available to non-unit infantry you could make the extrapolation that they took prepared ammo that was correct for their weapons.

Incidentally, and in danger of setting of a red herring, in the instance of the jeep driver is he not required to act under the orders of a superior officer to his unit officer?

For that flexibility you pay by losing the ability to share between platoons.

Why is that? It seems somewhat odd this is a necessary condition of being able to share ammo between teams.

As far as "gaming" the system, I can only imagine a player placing (f.e.) a truck several dozen meters behind some significant terrain feature and using a chain of teams and squads to shift ammo up to some units in an advantageous position... except that would be perfectly reasonable and even somewhat realistic in certain circumstances. It's not as if every man has LoS on targets all the time (when they do, the terms we use to describe such action run along the lines of "slaughtered", "decimated", "hammered" and "massacred") so it's natural that the ones doing the shooting get additional ammunition passed to them while the guys doing security or shying away get by with less. No micromanagement needed.

It's especially annoying when you've had several units shot down to a handful of effectives and try to consolidate into something resembling a coherent force, but some are out of ammo, some are full, but no one is sharing.

Why is that? It seems somewhat odd this is a necessary condition of being able to share ammo between teams.

I have no real idea. I'd guess that there are union limits on the number of code lines that brains in jars are allowed to produce before a game has to be released.

Yes, it's imperfect. But it's better than nothing which is the alternative. You all know that CM games are a work in progress. "One day" we'll get a "proper" inventory handling system and an AI that can deal with it. Fretting about "why isn't it better" is frankly a waste of epithelial cells from your fingertips. Lobbying for it to be better, I'm all for, but the "why"s of it just are.

I have learned to keep jeeps, trucks, H - tracks behind troops (within1 action square) in the best cover as possible. In this way infantry will automatically acquire about 20 rounds a pop of its ammo when out. This works best when troops are in a building with the vehicle hidden behind it. It even works if troops are on higher story buildings. Best success has been with light machine guns that run through ammo quick, and don’t carry as much as heavies. One can keep them supplied with low maintenance this way. You do not need to keep loading the troops in the vehicle to acquire. This also gives use of the radio if the vehicle has one.

That's a good tip Vin. Didn't know that. Thanks.

Well, I've had a look round the battlefield and it appears that the only units the poor weighed down jeep driver can supply (alive at any rate!) with all the small arms ammo he is carrying around with him is a couple of field gun crews and their ammo bearers! I realise the ammo resupply is abstracted but however you look at it this situation does seem a bit ridiculous. If ammo resupply is allowed in the game it would make far more sense to have any friendly unit able to resupply another regardless of whether he is alive or dead.....

I bet my opponent is loving this! Lol