Waiting to buy CMBN

sburke

I think we have a fundamental difference. I believe CMBN was released earlier than it should have been as the Matrix tactical WW2 armour game was announced in September 2010 it would be released in April 2011.

I was, until this week, unaware that the Matrix launch date was known and assumed that BF had released CMBN half-ready because of cashflow requirements. This would be fine as I have supported BF for years and would not want it to go under. However I am now more of the camp that believe the early launch was to steal/preempt Matrix's offering.

Strange. At the time that both were released I was convinced that Matrix were the ones practicing competitive release timing. And I still am.

Quite honestly I don't think PCO sales are anywhere close to CMx2 sales.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually don't think the interface sucks. It's not the greatest but it works well enough once you learn how it works . But that is the real problem. It is poorly documented and combined with the lack of tooltips or any type of in-game hints I think there are a lot of people who don't understand it.

I actually don't think the interface sucks. It's not the greatest but it works well enough once you learn how it works . But that is the real problem. It is poorly documented and combined with the lack of tooltips or any type of in-game hints I think there are a lot of people who don't understand it.

Muscle memory makes pretty much any interface work.

The problem I have with all this that it narrows down the audience. Trying the demo won't have muscle memory kick in.

Speaking of it, can somebody give me a reason why in the world something as simple as panning with the mouse shouldn't work like it works in all other games that a new user is used to?

:confused: That's exactly how it works in CMBN.

No. It's jerky and has a delay effect, and doesn't stop precisely enough. And it is not computer performance related (using a faster computer shows the same behavior, and it's not worse on a dogputer).

People complained about this in early CMx2 and since then this weird acceleration (like mouse acceleration) thing at the beginning has been put in which makes things worse.

If I may ask, which "normal" game did you play lately?

I found the panning a bit clunky. It's like it's floating a bit and trying to correct had the view bouncing one way then the other. I've only put a little time into the game since it came out though (waiting on v2.0) so I'm sure with time I'll get used to it but that was my initial impression FWIW.

-F

Speaking of personal preference, I find the current panning style much to my liking. What others find clunky I find to convey a sense of inertia. This improves the sense of scale and feel for me.

It could be smoother while retaining the same inertia, but right now I'm happy that it isn't gliding all over the place. The way acceleration works in most games is counterproductive to being immersed in the graphics for me.

Speaking of personal preference, I find the current panning style much to my liking. What others find clunky I find to convey a sense of inertia. This improves the sense of scale and feel for me.

It could be smoother while retaining the same inertia, but right now I'm happy that it isn't gliding all over the place. The way acceleration works in most games is counterproductive to being immersed in the graphics for me.

Hmmmm, I must be missing something. I'll have to check it out tonight, because I just don't recall noticing anything other than smooth panning....

The success of the upcoming patch will determine whether it gets followed up by more pay for patches. I personally hope this tactic is successful enough for Battlefront to afford an additional game programming employee. This game is great, but quite clunky. Battlefront certainly does the most with what they have. I'd love for them to have the opportunity to raise it up another notch.

Hopefully what they release does warrant the upgrade cost.

Just clarifying the above post. I added the bold for emphasis.

The PATCH is free. The UPGRADE will cost money.

You will be able to PATCH the original CMBN/CW for free. The PATCH will resolve various bugs and gameplay issues reported by players.

The UPGRADE will CHANGE THE GAME. CMBN/CW will be run using the same code as CMFI. That adds cover armor arcs, movable waypoints, and whole host of other FUNDAMENTAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS.

So, if you don't want to/cannot spend the minor cost for the upgrade, the game you bought will still be supported...for free. (Not forever, but at least until all the egregious bugs are squashed.)

PATCH=FREE

UPGRADE=$

I've run CMBN on a laptop and a desktop (which has undergone various significant hardware changes since the CMBN release) and I have never thought the camera controls to be clunky. I will say that when I first started playing CMSF i noticed a difference between its camera control and CMx1's and since I had years of playing CMx1 under my belt I felt uncomfortable with the way the camera reacted in CMx2. It has only been within the last year that I've become aware of using the right mouse button to pan. As one who has played FPS's (high level play is dependent on precise camera control on all axes) for decades I tend to use the keyboard for much of my camera movement (I am incorporating the mouse - er, trackball in my case - into my camera movement scheme).

In terms of playing FPS's at a high level, when I switched to a trackball there was a bio-mechanical learning curve. When I switched from a thumb controlled trackball to a finger controlled one there was a learning curve. For me, the learning curve from CMx1 to CMx2 was minor compared to this.

I also really believe that it is a problem for some. According to Steve there will be new control options added in the future, which I hope solves the issue for those who don't like the current schemes. In the interim I hope those who are affected can wrap their heads around the fact that just because it is a problem for them doesn't mean it is a problem for everyone, or the majority, or even a significant portion of the player base.

As forum using customers, we have no way of knowing how big of a problem it is for the player base, but we can deduce that since BF is addressing it they consider it to be a significant obstacle for enough players to warrant changing the scheme before they add other wanted features.

To clarify my earlier statement re panning... From my memory I was specifically refering to the panning using the right mouse button and without a unit selected.

Carry on.

:)

Edit - after many months I've just opened CMBN and given the panning a workout. I think for me it's mainly a case of old dog/new tricks. I still play a reasonable amount of CMBB. /shrugs, I don't think it's a big deal tbh. I'll still be waiting for v2, mainly because I don't want to invest time in learning the game without the new features, my time it quite limited these days. It's not something I'm patrticularly concerned about. I think there are sufficient differences in CM1 to CM2 that some people might not appreciate the change. I'm not invested enough to get upset about it. I can still play CM1 if CM2 doesn't really grab me.