Hey Battlefront, how about some contests/drawings?

I just watched that 4 minute CMFI video and it made me wonder how much it cost to make.

Then I thought, wow, wouldn't that be cool to have done to the game turn files of your choice. Then I thought maybe this could be some type of contest either random drawing or you have to submit something, I dunno.

Or other drawings or contests to stimulate interest or submission of scenarios?

Give away a free upgrade or module? Every so often?

Just another free idea from another loyal fan and customer since CMBO.

I just watched that 4 minute CMFI video and it made me wonder how much it cost to make.

Cost to make:

1. A good computer machine that provides excellent frame rates and graphics. Probably $900 - $1300.

2. Cost of FRAPS to capture the movies. About $30 or 40.

3. Cost of the game. See BFC home page for actual cost.

Then there's the time involved:

1. Time required to play a battle and and save each turn for capturing later. Probably want to play in Hotseat mode.

2. Then you get play and replay and replay and replay and replay and replay and replay and replay and replay and replay and replay each turn until you get the "camera work" just right. Then replay it one more time while capturing it on FRAPS.

3. Time required to patch each movie sequence together using Windows Movie Maker.

Finally there's the EULA that says you cant sell any of this.

LT B,

No, I meant how much did BF pay "Faktafilm" to make this video for them.

I googled Faktafilm and it seems they are a company in Denmark.

E-mail address with .dk is Denmark right?

Maybe now that I think about it, getting a film made of your game turns wouldn't be that awesome a prize. I mean, it all is going to start to look the same, maybe the ominous before the shooting starts close-ups show instead a US officer looking through the binocs.

I mean it was a cool little film but it would be easier to just have BF give modules or upgrades as prizes. Cost is controlled and you know the recipient will be very happy.

Would this be a tax write off for them as promotional items?

Anyway, don't anyone even reply to this thread please, if BF wants to do anything at all like this then I guess they will. I trust them.

I forget if they ever did have any giveaways before.

No, I meant how much did BF pay "Faktafilm" to make this video for them.

I googled Faktafilm and it seems they are a company in Denmark.

E-mail address with .dk is Denmark right?

Yes, Faktafilm is indeed a company from Denmark - namely mine. :-) Unfortunately, I can´t tell you about the cost of the film.

Then there's the time involved:

1. Time required to play a battle and and save each turn for capturing later. Probably want to play in Hotseat mode.

2. Then you get play and replay and replay and replay and replay and replay and replay and replay and replay and replay and replay each turn until you get the "camera work" just right. Then replay it one more time while capturing it on FRAPS.

That is pretty much spot on

- except:

3. Time required to patch each movie sequence together using Windows Movie Maker.

Windows Movie Maker is in my opinion by far the worst and most useless video editing software ever. In my experience WMM would - literally - crash before I had edited 45 seconds of the movie. I used Final Cut Pro 7.

Mr. Umlaut,

Well sir, you did an awesome job. Whatever they paid you, you deserved wholeheartedly.

I think I will try that waylaid scenario from your sig line now that I know it is you.

Since that is CMBN, then I know you did not get to make a CMFI movie of your own game turns.

But I guess you have the company and can choose to do that anyways.

Best wishes,

Kohlenklau

I think I will try that waylaid scenario from your sig line now that I know it is you.

Please do - and please let me know what you think of it. But you should be aware that this is a very assymetrical scenario - and H2H only. I recommend reading the briefing carefully :-)