Graphic Inequality & Quality Control

dpabrams

I know the game has been out for a long time but did you notice:

• graphical inconsistencies between modules

• lower quality beta 2D artwork in later modules

In a later example you can cite the Tiger II and Luch’s from CMBN but in CMSF the differences in module art quality is more evident.

Take for example in the posted photos the difference in the detail of the 3 wheeled APC’s. Note how overall the Stryker is well detailed and crisp, while the LAV-25 is showroom finish and the LAV-III is washed out and lacks detail?

CMShockForce2012-09-0910-52-43-15.jpg

In my opinion BF started out great with CMSF series and the as the modules came out, the 2D art suffered.

CMShockForce2012-09-0910-55-35-78.jpg

Not always as the British equipment is top notch but in the case of the Dutch for example the YPR looks pre beta.

CMShockForce2012-09-0911-05-58-68.jpg

Let’s hope in the future BF does a better job of art editing.

Can they be modded better, or is it a function of inadequate initial coding so nothing can be improved?

Certainly they can be modded better as far as 2D skins are concerned, I think in the case of the YPR it is a lower poly model. I looked at redoing the skins using my skins from Steelbeasts Prop PE but it would be labor intensive to say the least for a game I don't play that often. I just got aggravated when I stated a PBEM as the Dutch recently and wanted to make a point.

It's funny you brought this up...I was just checking out the Brit vehicles last night and was marveling at the tires on one of the jackals...they were so round I couldn't see any of that hex shape whatsoever. Looking at that YPR the wheels stick out like a sore thumb in comparison.

Mord.

In the NATO module, BFC was trying to go for a more lived in look. The skins are supposed to represent dusty/sandy vehicles, which is why they look more washed out that the previous models. I have 2 PBEM games on the go now with Dutch NATO forces and the YPR looks much better in action than in screenshots.

BFC had actual Dutch and Canadian service members review and comment on the 3d models.

In the NATO module, BFC was trying to go for a more lived in look. The skins are supposed to represent dusty/sandy vehicles, which is why they look more washed out that the previous models.

If the "lived in look" is lower poly models and rudementary weathering over low detail 2D art, they achieved it.

Here is a comparison of a Bradley texture and YPR texture.

m2a3-skirts.jpg

If the "lived in look" is lower poly models and rudementary weathering over low detail 2D art, they achieved it.

Here is a comparison of a Bradley texture and YPR texture.

m2a3-skirts.jpg

Excellent comment and comparison. The dusty 'lived in look" looks more realistic to me. The Bradley texture, while super nice, looks like it came straight out of the paint shop instead of a dusty battlefield.

What's not having an Art director listed in the manual have to do with anything?

Let’s start with consistency, continuity and quality control. Art Direction\ Graphic Direction is generally responsible for these tasks. Generally it requires an “eye” for detail and a background in graphic arts, to name a few requirements.

No offense to the Dutch and Canadian service members, or any other nationality of service member for that matter, who commented on the realism of the NATO module equipment. Likely they never saw a comparison with higher poly models and the more detailed 2D artwork of the first CMSF releases.

Tell me that the YPR and LAVIII come remotely close to the Bradley and Stryker in comparison of model and texture quality?

Lack of art direction\ graphic direction is likely why lesser quality “beta” artwork like that of the NATO modules made it into a final finished product. In more recent history you will find the same problem with CMBN and the lowly Tiger II and Luch’s models.

Here is a better example of original BFC textures. The top portion is the Stryker. The artist has correctly weathered in a layer that is selected as "overlay". Detail is preserved.

The bottom texture is the LAVIII. Started out a detailed, crisp texture but the artist incorrectly layered the weathering as "normal". This covered the texture detail and muddied up the image.

stryker-hull.jpg