Mountains and steep terrain fighting - how goes it?

One of the most striking features of Sicily and Italy fighting is the rough and steep terrain -- indeed, Allied soldiers often say they fought the entire campaign "uphill."

How are CMFI players finding and accommodating to these very different elevation differences on battlefields? How do you find the CM 2.0 engine is handling this?

Do the combats uphill and downhill feel about right? Does being uphill confer the defensive benefit you would expect?

Since CM still seems to be limited in the area of modeling gun elevation, does this affect the way direct fire is turning out in battles (for example, forces at the foot of a mountain being able to elevate their guns to an unrealistic degree)?

Are your troops taking much greater fatigue hits now, due to all the hill-climbing? Do they seem to preserve a lot of energy going downhill? And does this make you change tactics to try and use roads/trails more, or to look for paths across slopes, draws and valleys, etc.?

I can't say I have played yet on some of those hilly maps, maybe one actually, a small one but I can tell you they look superb! There is a lot of variation to the foliage in some cases, rocky, boulders, etc. and some are rolling vineyards with scrub brush etc. So many different maps to play on. I've been looking through the quick maps today and there are works of art in there. I'm actually going to use one for my first scenario I'm going to try and put together.

Are your troops taking much greater fatigue hits now, due to all the hill-climbing?

That appears to be the case.

BF seems to have massaged the fatigue factors. Heavily laden units *seem* to tire faster even on flat terrain.

Do they seem to preserve a lot of energy going downhill?

Dunno. Good question.

Do they seem to preserve a lot of energy going downhill?

Hmm. Personally, I find going down hill, especially when heavily loaded, almost as tiring as going up hill. It hits me in the knees and thighs especially.

You'll notice CMFI soldiers don't tote backpacks. The better to get up and down slopes without tiring? I do believe the game was factoring in backpack weight, in the same way they factor in body armor weight in CMSF.

The other title with great 'mountainous' potential was CM:Afghanistan, though only a couple scenarios really went the 'mountainous' route. Too bad. Let this be a suggestion to you potential QB map makers out there. Don't be parsimonious with the elevation points! :D

One of the most striking features of Sicily and Italy fighting is the rough and steep terrain -- indeed, Allied soldiers often say they fought the entire campaign "uphill."

How are CMFI players finding and accommodating to these very different elevation differences on battlefields? How do you find the CM 2.0 engine is handling this?

Do the combats uphill and downhill feel about right? Does being uphill confer the defensive benefit you would expect?

Since CM still seems to be limited in the area of modeling gun elevation, does this affect the way direct fire is turning out in battles (for example, forces at the foot of a mountain being able to elevate their guns to an unrealistic degree)?

Are your troops taking much greater fatigue hits now, due to all the hill-climbing? Do they seem to preserve a lot of energy going downhill? And does this make you change tactics to try and use roads/trails more, or to look for paths across slopes, draws and valleys, etc.?

I found just looking at the hills I would have to fight my way up daunting. Then while moving up you find out that there are areas on the map that effectively put defensive positions in a reverse slope that you can't even see from below. The Troina campaign in particular has some very cool, very difficult uphill fights.

One thing I learned - plan your assault carefully and use your trps where you think you are going to need help and that won't necessarily be on the VLs. Look the terrain over carefully, where are your guys going to emerge from a ravine into an exposed location? You have to plan your artillery to support your attack and that means you have to pay very close attention to the route itself. It is a lot harder than figuring out your attack plan in CMBN and a lot less obvious as to where you are suddenly going to be blind sided by an MG. If you don't plan your TRPs right, you are going to have to send your FOs up. In one battle I had my FO killed and had to send up the Company CO who then promply got killed. I finished the battle hobbling along with the XO team in charge with the Wpns pltn HQ tailing along for radio access. It severely curtailed my artillery access. I won't even discuss how bad it can get when enemy mortar fire is raining down on your troops while trying to keep them organized for an uphill assault.

I promise, a couple battles in and you will begin to miss the comfort of the hedgerows. LOL

And the maps are beautiful. I didn't have the time to look through the quickmaps as much, but I'd highly recommend folks do so. BF and the team keep getting better and better at this. CMFI in my view is not just the CMx2 version of CMAK. I had pretty much just modded that to look like NW Europe. CMFI is a joy in and of itself.

This arena certainly requires different tactics for sure.

Proper placement of covering elements and advancing

in stages while using every bit of terrain advantage you

can exploit. And as Sburke said take care of your FO's.

Artillery is your new bestest friend... ;)

Also like the underground view when Troina is loading up..

No Prisoners