CM/PzC Normandy '44 H2H Operation Axis DAR

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure what kind of rock some people have been born under to become asspained from someone being curious, like autistic child taking a question as an insult and throwing a tantrum over it kicking chairs and yelling at walls.

Or some people are just entitled princesses that way, maybe I should add happyfaces and LOLs everywhere in my posts so some folks don't get the wrong idea anymore ;);););)

LOL!

-Jaksteri von auschwitz

there is no spoon - teh matrix

So i will withdraw the units i mentioned earlier and attack with the units i have near his Stuart platoons.

I perform these moves with the following result.

AxisTurn1UnitPositions.jpg

I now intend to attack the two Stuart platoons, and therefore create two separate CM battles.

My opponent cannot withdraw to avoid the battles because all the adjacent hexes to the one occupied by his Stuarts are occupied by my forces, therefore he will have to fight his way off the hex and attempt to beak my encirclement by using an exit zone that will be placed at the north edge of the CM map.

Noob... I've been playing the PzC series for some time, in fact, it's probably the game I play most next to CMBN. This series (I own about half of these games) and Tiller's Campaign Series filled the long void during the CMSF years while I awaited a return to WWII.

I understand from your OP that you've removed the hard/soft attack factors from each unit. I'm guessing that by doing so, this has negated ZOC's. Otherwise, I don't see how you could have made the moves to surround the Stuarts. Obviously, I can't be certain of this because I don't know the composition of the 4 units in the hex north of the IP. But, if any of these exert a ZOC into the adjacent hexes, it would not be possible to move the motorized unit into the hex north of the western Stuarts. I never play with locking ZOC's, but even this requires a friendly unit currently in the hex being moved to in order to move directly from one ZOC to another.

Does your approach just ignore ZOC's? If so, this removes a basic premise from the base game and, barring ample units to form a continuous line, makes forming a reasonable defensive line impossible.

I'm just curious. I love the idea of an operational layer and you've obviously gone to great lengths with the PzC system. It's just that, IMO (I know, we've all got one ;) ) misses the fact that units in adjacent hexes would be putting up some kind of fight and slowing down movement through the adjacent areas, if not completely preventing it.

But, if any of these exert a ZOC into the adjacent hexes, it would not be possible to move the motorized unit into the hex north of the western Stuarts. I never play with locking ZOC's, but even this requires a friendly unit currently in the hex being moved to in order to move directly from one ZOC to another.

The unit you mention was in travel mode and did not move from one ZOC to another, so it could make the move to the north of the western most Stuarts.

Does your approach just ignore ZOC's? If so, this removes a basic premise from the base game and, barring ample units to form a continuous line, makes forming a reasonable defensive line impossible.

No it doesn't, the ZOC's work in this PzC game, so they are not a function of hard and soft attack values, in this you cannot move from one ZOC to another, so it is possible to have a one or two hex gap between units and maintain a continuous defensive line.

Now the CM map for the battle at Hex 11-10 is ready, the Axis units can be added by loading the core CM OOB containing the total CM forces for both sides, this is done by using the import campaign units function.

Once all the non participating units have been removed the battle can be set up.

AxisCMOOB6.jpg

Hex11-10battlesetupexitzonesunits.jpg

This battle is going to be fought by my team mate George MC, i have given him a quick briefing and there will be a DAR of this battle on this thread.

The battle for Hex 12-10 will be set up as soon as i have finished some work on the map.

Well, just let us know if anything else bothers you and we'll do what we can to change the way we do things so as not to annoy you.

Mord.

He is right Mord. It is redundant. However something like this would be more appropriate

Not Mord

nor am I Noob or JonS

or frankly almost anyone else excepting maybe

sburke

Noob when do we get an actuall CM AAR off this I'm loaded with popcorn and on the road and need some CM entertainment.

Kuderian has received the CM Battle Hex 11-10 001.ema, so the game's afoot to quote Sherlock Holmes.

The CM battles will be DAR's not AAR's, so you should not have long to wait.

p.s.

The DAR's will have separate threads.

Love campaigns of this kind. Great undertaking and effort noob!

Thanks Fizou :)

Will much look forward to follow the action unfold.

You can fight one of the two CM upcoming battles if you want, the Allied CO needs a player to take command of the battle at hex 12-10, so are you game ?

The unit you mention was in travel mode and did not move from one ZOC to another, so it could make the move to the north of the western most Stuarts.

No it doesn't, the ZOC's work in this PzC game, so they are not a function of hard and soft attack values, in this you cannot move from one ZOC to another, so it is possible to have a one or two hex gap between units and maintain a continuous defensive line.

Fair enough. I don't have PzC Normandy loaded currently on my desktop, just on my laptop for travel play. I posted last night just before bedtime so I wasn't going to start up the laptop to check... I was just asking a question.

I know that motorized units in travel mode can cover a lot of ground. Not having access to the data file to ascertain the movement rates, it just looked like a long go to pass around to the north of the three-unit stack while remaining out of it's ZOC's. The main impediments to travel mode are rugged terrain and hexside obstacles. The latter are often hard to see in 3D mode... one reason that I always play PzC in top-down mode, particularly now that there's a 2D Zoom-in mode.

It was not my intent to impugn what is obviously a labor of love. It is clearly obvious that your oppo made a mistake in overextending with the Stuarts and/or not advancing units to cover his flanks and prevent the Stuarts from being cut off.

Please continue, I look forward to the rest of the DAR.

Rake,

How do you like the Tiller PzC series? Thanks!

Sabot... obviously I find enjoyment in the series, otherwise I wouldn't have invested as much in time and money as I have. The game concept was a little difficult to understand when I first started (Bulge was my first). Glenn Saunders and the Blitz was a huge help initially.

PzC Normandy is a slog... but so is CMBN in the bocage. Where I feel the game excels is in the blitz style campaigns. Smolensk '41 is my personal favorite

The series is not without foibles. I think the games are a bit overpriced, especially now that they're basically an assembly line production. But, I make the choice as to what I spend my money on and I've kept on buying... Tiller does do a good job with continually updating the game to incorporate new changes into old titles. This is why I'm really happy to see BFC updating CMBN and will do the same as time goes on.

Too, I'm not sure the OOB's are the most carefully researched. I'm not an OOB grog, so you'd have to rely on others input for more detail in this area.

Anyhow, I don't want to highjack Noob's thread any more than I have for unrelated stuff; if you'd like to know more, send me a PM.

Sure noob, Id love to take an active part :)

Ok, nice one, unfortunately we have enough players to play the two CM battles created this turn, however these battles should not take long to resolve, so you could get a chance to fight after the next operational turn, send me an email address so i can share a dropbox with you if necessary.

I know that motorized units in travel mode can cover a lot of ground.

The PzGrd's in trucks can cover a lot of ground, the end position of the northern axis infantry company was the furthest it could travel mounted, and consequently could not change from travel to combat mode, thus forcing me to deploy the PzC units equivalent CM units in a restrictive deployment zone in the CM battle, the consequences of which will be revealed soon.

The latter are often hard to see in 3D mode... one reason that I always play PzC in top-down mode, particularly now that there's a 2D Zoom-in mode.

I agree, i would be using both 3D and 2D screenshots if N44 had the zoom in 2D view, but it hasn't unfortunately, one thing i will do for subsequent operational move turns however is to show the reachable hexes of relevant units, thus allowing observers a better perspective on the move distances certain units can achieve.

It was not my intent to impugn what is obviously a labor of love. It is clearly obvious that your oppo made a mistake in overextending with the Stuarts and/or not advancing units to cover his flanks and prevent the Stuarts from being cut off.

I understand you did not intend any offence with your enquiry, and none was taken :)

Thought I would pass this along, especially for you Rake (if you haven't seen it). Here is a link to Volcano Mods. It is a website dedicated to graphic mods for Panzer Campaigns and other Tiller titles. Really good artwork. You will have to register to download files and get to the pages with the links / pics.

Thought I would pass this along, especially for you Rake (if you haven't seen it). Here is a link to Volcano Mods. It is a website dedicated to graphic mods for Panzer Campaigns and other Tiller titles. Really good artwork. You will have to register to download files and get to the pages with the links / pics.

Been to Volcano Man's site every time I get a new game. I also enjoy the _Alt scenarios included for most games as they've been adapted for most of the optional rules that I prefer using.

Thanks for the tip! :) I'm sure others who might be looking into this series would enjoy it... highly recommended, as is this one:

http://mapmod.hist-sdc.com/

These mods significantly improve the artwork of the 2D maps.

Been to Volcano Man's site every time I get a new game. I also enjoy the _Alt scenarios included for most games as they've been adapted for most of the optional rules that I prefer using.

Thanks for the tip! :) I'm sure others who might be looking into this series would enjoy it... highly recommended, as is this one:

http://mapmod.hist-sdc.com/

These mods significantly improve the artwork of the 2D maps.

Good posts Rake and Blazing, the unit pictures and 2D maps for Sicily 43 and Tobruk 41 look a lot better now, i will definately be using the 2D view for a CM/PzC Sicily op.

Ok, nice one, unfortunately we have enough players to play the two CM battles created this turn, however these battles should not take long to resolve, so you could get a chance to fight after the next operational turn, send me an email address so i can share a dropbox with you if necessary.

No problem. Sent email via pm for future actions. Its hard to envy those brave men going up against PzIVs with Stuarts. Hope they make us proud :) . And best of luck to them!