CM/PzC Normandy '44 H2H Operation Axis DAR

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

noob,

Real nice work. I've got the popcorn ready too, just like sburke. Let 'er rip...

Heinrich505

Thanks Heinrich, the two CM battles are finished now, so as soon as their DAR's are complete, i can apply the results to the operational map, and then the Allied movement phase for turn 2 can commence.

AxisTurn1HexBattlesDARIntroScreen.jpg

Now the two battles at hexes 11-10 and 12-10 have been resolved, the operational situation can be updated.

CM Battle Hex 11-10 Axis DAR: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=105386

CM Battle Hex 12-10 Axis DAR: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=105428

To update the new operational situation the Allied CO must repeat his Turn 1 operational moves with two exceptions, the Stuart platoon on hex 12-10 that was destroyed must be moved to the north edge of the map, and removed from the map via an operational exit hex, which is any edge hex.

The Stuart platoon on hex 11-10 that escaped the Axis encirclement now occupies the hex it moved onto via its CM exit zone, which is hex 11-9.

AxisTurn1HexBattlesDARIntroScreen1.jpg

After the Allied player repeats his Turn 1 moves, the Axis Turn 1 moves need to be repeated, with the exception of the units that fought in the CM battles, these will be moved onto the hexes they attacked.

Once this is done, Turn 2 can commence with the Allied movement phase.

To anyone following this, i apologise for the delay, but after the first turn, Kuderian pointed out a good rule change, it was something i was going to implement originally but decided not to, however Kuderian pointed out the logic behind re introducing it.

Occurrences like this are bound to happen as this operation is a beta test of the CM/PzC system and rules and therefore prone to changes.

Therefore, from now on, a unit must have enough movement points to initiate an assault against an enemy unit, which means the CM battles fought already are now redundant, as under the new rule i cannot move and assault with the same amount of units i did previously.

Therefore we will be starting the operation again, with the addition of a couple of nice PzC mods that have vastly improved the look of the map and the units, so with that in mind i will proceed with the new operational Axis DAR.

The PzC mods can be found here: http://www.volcanomods.com/ and here: http://mapmod.hist-sdc.com/

Below are maps showing the placenames, elevations, victory objectives, a terrain key and the Axis starting deployment:

01MapPlacenames.jpg

02MapElevations.jpg

03MapObjectives.jpg

04MapTerrainKey.jpg

05MapStartDeployment.jpg

You know noob, you are making me want to reinstall my TOC games and actually purchase the John Tiller Normandy game! :)

Lol.........yes, those mods drastically improve the look of the game, however i'm too much of a graphics junkie to even consider playing any other wargame than CM, but i do like the scale of PzC, ergo CM/PzC :)

Kuderian has sent the new PzC PBEM file for the Turn 1 Allied movement phase, and the results are pictured below, along with a unit ID key.

11AlliedDeploymentTurn1.jpg

All units with a "T" in their unit info boxes are in Travel Mode

12AlliedDeploymentTurn1UnitKey.jpg

My opponent informs me that there are no Allied assaults after the Allied move turn, therefore there will be no CM battles, so now it is the Axis movement phase.

Below is a picture showing the deployment and OOB's of the of the Axis forces that have moved during the Axis Turn 1 movement phase.

13AxisDeploymentTurn1Key.jpg

07AxisPzC25thPzGRegOOB.jpg

08AxisPzC12thPzRegOOB.jpg

From the picture above you can see i have moved the units A and 10 to the hex adjacent to the units 6 and 20 which are threatened by the Allied units 2 and 3.

The main reason i have done this is because the threatened units are now Isolated due to the zone of control (ZOC) rule, which states that a unit exerts a ZOC over the adjacent hexes to the one the unit occupies, therefore, because of the position of the Allied units 2 and 3, all the ZOC's of units 6 and 20 are shared by enemy ZOC's, which means the threatened units cannot trace a hex path to a friendly map edge unbroken by enemy units or their ZOC's.

Also, because of the enemy ZOC's, the units 6 and 20 cannot move out of Isolation, as moving into an enemy ZOC imposes a movement penalty by increasing the cost to move into an enemy ZOC thus simulating added caution, so consequently i cannot retreat my 88's this turn, so by moving the units A and 10 to an adjacent hex to units 6 and 20 i create a friendly corridor of escape for those units to use during the next Axis movement turn.

Another secondary effect of this move is to threaten the Allied right with a combined arms force, which could force him to hold some armour back from his probable attacks on Buron and Authie.

I have moved a substantial combined arms force into Buron to defend against the inevitable Allied assault on that hex after the Turn 2 Allied movement phase.

All non artillery units that did not move are ordered to dig in.

Because i do not intend to initiate any assaults against any enemy units this turn, the operation will now move onto the Allied movement phase for Turn 2 of 8, which is 10:00am game time.

I have sent the PBEM file to Kuderian so after he watches the movie of my moves he can

Now Turn 2 can commence with the Allied movement phase.

Below are pictures showing the deployment of all visible Allied units and their OOB's after the Allied movement phase.

The red arrows show the hexes the Allied CO intends to assault, they are, reading from left to right, the village of Camilly, the village of Buron, and the village of Epron.

14AlliedDeployment-Turn2.jpg

15AlliedUnits-Turn2.jpg

I will avoid combat at Camilly and Epron by making a tactical withdrawal, this means i have to make a forced move with the withdrawing units of a minimum of two hexes during the next Axis movement phase, or one hex if the withdrawing unit can move onto a friendly occupied hex, or the hex it is moving into is an enemy ZOC, which would use all it's movement allowance.

Once the withdrawals have been announced, the evacuated villages are occupied by the Allied assaulting units, although they cannot physically move there until the Axis movement phase has been completed, therefore, during the Axis movement phase, the evacuated hexes and their adjacent hexes are classed as enemy ZOC, and consequently, any Axis unit moving onto one will be able to move no further to simulate the movement penalty for moving into an enemy ZOC.

However i intend to make a stand at Buron so i will enlist the aid of another player to simulate the hands off nature of my position as overall CO, however the player will get a briefing from me before the CM battle.

Below is a picture of the CM battle map for the village of Buron, showing the deployment ares for each side and the terrain objectives and exit zone for the Axis side.

Because the CM battle is a frontal assault the CM master map for Buron is reduced from 1504 x 1504m to one of 1248 x 1008m, this simulates the 1000 x 1000m defenders hex plus a 1000 x 240 section of the attackers hex.

16BuronCMBattleMap.jpg

17BuronCMBattleDeploymentZones.jpg

There are three terrain objectives (TO) on the map and one Axis exit zone.

The side that occupies the majority of the TO's after the battle wins the map, which means the loser must move off the hex the map represents during the losing sides next operational movement phase.

18BuronCMBattleTerrainObjectives-1.jpg

Now all i need is someone to fight this battle for me, mjkerner is unavailable, so i have asked Fizou, however i have not heard back from him yet, so if anyone wants to put their name forward if Fizou cannot play feel free, anyone playing this battle will be obliged to make a DAR thread for it on the BF forum.

After playing through a few operational turns, Kuderian and i came across some problems that led to two rule changes, and as these changes fundamentally effect the game play and the previous turns, we have decided to restart the operation and create a new DAR on a new thread, so i will create the new thread as soon as i have processed the the first operational turn.

The rule changes were as follows:

For a player to declare an assault on a hex and thus create a CM battle, the assaulting unit must have enough movement points, and must be in combat formation.

noob' date=' have you tried any of the other theaters with PzC's (PzC Moscow '41, PzC Kursk, etc or PzC Tobruk, PzC El Alamien) with CMx1 at all previously? Those are my favorite theaters and I am just being curious.[/quote']

I did use PzC Tobruk 41 with CMAK years ago with a couple of my regular CM opponents, but the scenario i used was too big and would of taken too long to finish, then real life issues intervened and it was abandoned, but when CMBN was released, i thought it was worth having another go at using PzC so i got a copy of Normandy 44 and the rest is history :)