New Portraits?

I see we've got lots of new icons coming in the 2.0 upgrade. And am wondering if there might be any new portrait categories?

Only thing I can think of that could benefit in this area would be portraits for engineers. Can you guys think of any others?

Mord.

As far as I am aware any on map guns are organic to the formation right? Like built in? Not attached from like an arty battalion? So, say an infantry squad with a ATG wouldn't really need a portrait 'cause they are basically infantry.

I guess I am thinking more along the lines of like engineers where you would have them attached to a main force like infantry or armor. I am finishing up my update to the portrait mod and thought it would be cool if I could differentiate the engineers from the infantry.

Not trying to shoot you down just as far as the game goes, arty guys probably wouldn't make a difference, hence the reason we left out any reg/bat like artillery, medical and the like, in the CW and German portraits.

Mord.

Nah, scouts wouldn't do it either. They'd just be a couple guy's cut from a squad. Now Rangers could work as they basically have their own battalions. But I figured they'll probably give them a portrait in CMFI.

A Tank Destroyer portrait might not be bad, though.

Mord.

In the same vein, and from the perspective of the CW formations, I'd like to see separate textures for the engineers, artillery and mg battalions. I don't think it entails much work, as the uniforms are basically the same (battledress) but the insignia markings are completely distinct. Then if you have soldiers manning an attached MG or Mortar from the MG Battalion, or you've got some Engineers from Engineering Companies/Squadrons, they will be distinguished from the Infantry Battalion they are supporting.

If I understand the game file system correctly, it would entail a couple of extra sub-folders in the 'soldiers' direcory with essentially the exact same basic files as the standard uk or canadian infantry, just a slightly different uniform BMP. This would then be referenced for engineers/artillery/MG Bn....

Something similar with tank crews that maybe randomizes crew wearing the present tank overalls or crew wearing battledress would be nice too.

Oh, and the rank insignia should be applied based on the unit type too.

For example, the CW armour had different variations of rank insignia to what the infantry wore....so seeing that difference in game would be nice. Again, I would suspect this would be relatively easy to do, as it seems that it would only entail a reference to another small folder with alternate rank icons.