Different versions of same vehicle?

When browsing through the screen shots I noticed something that really got my attention. Namely this shot:

semovente7518v02.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

These two Semoventes (?) seem to be identical - except for their camo schemes!

In CMBN it isn´t possible to have two completely different versions of the same vehicle in a game. You can renumber the BMPs to have different versions of the same file. But in the game the files will be mixed randomly.

That means that if you modded one vehicle with camo and another version of the same vehicle without camo and put the bmp-files for both vehicles in the data folder, then your vehicles in the game would show up with a random mixture of camo and non-camo parts (one vehicle with a camo turret and non-camo hull, another vehicle with a non-camo turret and a camo hull and so on).

The picture above seems to indcate, that this problem has been fixed - so we now can apply different skins to separate versions of the same vehicle type.

If my assumption is correct this is in my eyes one of the greatest improvements in CM.

BFC, can you confirm this (pretty please)?

post-16747-141867623997_thumb.jpg

No idea, but I do know that the Semovente came in several virtual indistinguishable variants based on slightly different tank chassis. Bsed on the pictures, they could be Semovente da 75/18 M40, Semovente da 75/18 M41 or Semovente da 75/18 M42. Aside from the M42 model being slightly longer I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between any of those.

So while it might be possible, it is entirely possible you are looking at two variants of the Semovente that just happen to be virtually identical geometrically.

Good find, if they are the same, umlaut. I actually posed the same question in another thread, not about the pic, but the random textures.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showpost.php?p=1370848&postcount=50

Hopefully, we'll get an official answer. But even if it's a no...I can't imagine this is too far off in the future.

Mord.