La Fiere Causeway/Cauquigny

I have begun work on a La Fiere Causeway/Cauquigny map.

June 6th, 1944

0300 Hours

The forces that participate in this battle include:

Elements of the American 82nd Airborne (505th Rgt. and 507th Rgt.).

vs.

The German 1057th Grenadier Regiment.

Progress:

7423872458_0db720cb75_b.jpg

7423869818_60527be147_b.jpg

7423871214_b711c8b6f3_b.jpg

7423868324_6582850a17_b.jpg

7423873968_566cd70245_b.jpg

Please correct me on any information and feel free to leave references about the battle or the area of the battle's setting.

There was one back in Aug. of 2011 but, LemuelG, from which I can assume, pretty much gave up. There was a mediafire link to the file he left at the end of the thread to a "beta", it was a broken link. Though I could use some of his work and screenshots as a comparison.

I didn't think of looking on the forums though so when I decided to start building my favorite Close Combat map into Combat Mission, I had only checked the repository. I will go through with finishing this, as I plan on making a Amfreville scenario.

Previous thread started by LemuelG:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=99693&highlight=Fiere

I started a campaign on the entire 3 day battle but lost interest when it came time to do the battle intro/art work. I've made maps of the entire area: La Fiere, Cauquigney, and the orchard where Timme's men where pinned down.

Without a doubt, the best resource on the battle is Robert Murphy's "No better place to Die". Google Maps and streetview have really good images of the area. 1947 imagery is downloadable at the french site referenced in this thread: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=100059

Use Google street view to get a really good idea of the topography around La Fiere manor. There are "feudal mounds" just east of the manor that rise up quite a bit. They are typically noted on topography maps but not with contour lines.

Use the 1947 photography and photos from Murphy's book to get an idea of how vegetation has changed when compared to modern photos.

Murphy's book

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Place-Die-Robert-Murphy/dp/1929307004

Note: doing a google search it seems that Dale Dye is directing a movie based on the same name due in 2013.

Thank you guys for all the information, I have expanded the board from 1024x480 meters to 1456x768 meters. The problem areas I have found are the flooded fields (they look way too empty), the manor (I cannot find a way to correctly emulate the buildings), and the weird elevations east of the manor ('nuff said), still I push on.

Some more progress shots will be up tomorrow.

Again, I am going to design a Amfreville scenario next, therefore if anyone has anything information pertaining to that battle or said person just wants to point me in the right direction, please PM me about it.

Thank you guys for all the information, I have expanded the board from 1024x480 meters to 1456x768 meters. The problem areas I have found are the flooded fields (they look way too empty), the manor (I cannot find a way to correctly emulate the buildings), and the weird elevations east of the manor ('nuff said), still I push on.

I'd recommend downloading Undercovergeek's Carentan scenario/map, loading it into the editor, and then studying the tiles and elevations to see how that map does flooded areas so effectively.

I'd recommend downloading Undercovergeek's Carentan scenario/map, loading it into the editor, and then studying the tiles and elevations to see how that map does flooded areas so effectively.

I actually did not even think about that. The presentation of the map was next to flawless. I'll do that in the morning (it's past midnight in good ol' Michigan) I did use LemuelG's method of one square of marsh making tall grass in the shallow water, maybe a bit too much. I have also looked at some contours and different pictures of the area and made some spots in the water stick up, like the bank of a ditch, and spots that seem just a bit, yet enough, higher than the field to allow infantry to plod through the marsh.