The Dam Busters

He missed that you were talking about the TV reconstruction. Easy enough to do with your tangled prose.

He did. Thanks Means. Oh, and you raise a valid point...

Michael, I apologise profusely and sincerely for misinterpreting your mangled prose, and attacking you on the basis of a misconception arising therefrom. I trust this abject apology gives you satisfaction for an unjust action on my (dimwitted) part.

Michael, I apologise profusely and sincerely for misinterpreting your mangled prose, and attacking you on the basis of a misconception arising therefrom. I trust this abject apology gives you satisfaction for an unjust action on my (dimwitted) part.

My prose was not mangled. I have no trouble understanding it at all. You're not off the hook yet, young man.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...
My prose was not mangled. I have no trouble understanding it at all. You're not off the hook yet, young man.

Michael

Really? Not even this?

Thanks.

I'm gonna stick my neck out and guess that these are non-flying examples. Yeah, I know that Jackson is often lavish in his preparations, but even he much have limits...somewhere.

Michael

(my highlight for those of us needing reading glasses)

I am in the midst of looking up home care for my Dad, should I do some research for you as well? :D

Incredible story finding a small ad with a Lancaster for sale and dedicating the restoration to their deceased brother. 19 when he died :-( reminded of the fact Neil Armstrong was in his early twenties when he was in combat.

http://www.on-target-aviation.com/NX611_Lanc.html

NX611%20taxi%206%20680.jpg

The loss of Chris left a lasting impression on his younger brothers, Fred aged 13 and Harold aged 10 ½. This tragic event was to later bring together two families, the Pantons and the Chattertons; two names that will forever be associated with the Lancaster in Lincolnshire - for an aviation enthusiast or historian it’s a fascinating yet moving story covering over 70 years,

http://www.on-target-aviation.com/Lanc%20NX611%20&%20PA474.html

LANCASTER%20JUST%20JANE%20NX611%20CAG%20GROUP%20copy.jpg

By early 1983 the Lancaster’s ten year period at Scampton was coming to an end and Lord Lilford was ready to sell her. The purchase price had risen however, now to a six figure sum. Fred and Harold Panton made an offer – it was accepted, however NX611 remained at Scampton for a further four years until July 1987, to allow her new home at East Kirkby to be prepared for her arrival. Dismantling and re-assembly took 13 weeks by a team of 11 men from RAF Abingdon.

During 1990 NX611 was surveyed and found to be in excellent condition with both the airframe and engines appearing sound. The name 'Just Jane' was applied to the port side, inspired by a popular 1940s newspaper comic strip character. The crest of Bomber Command was initially worn on the starboard side, with the ‘City of Sheffield’ crest appearing later in honour of the City’s steel works that provided many parts for the Lancaster, its Merlin engines and the weapons it would carry.

Word spread quickly of developments at East Kirkby; the sight and sound of a 'live' Lancaster brought praise from many appreciative Bomber Command veterans who valued this link to the past. A few months later the second engine was successfully restored and started. The gathered crowds were thrilled to hear the sound of a flying Lancaster heading in their direction, and PA474 from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight flew over to salute its new neighbour.

Following the success of running 'Just Jane' on two engines, it was time for another exciting step to be taken – a short taxi run on three engines. Saturday 22nd April 1995 was the day chosen to celebrate Just Jane's 50th birthday – and the first public taxi run.

The fourth engine was restored and started on 13th July 1995 – East Kirkby now had an operational Lancaster representing the wartime era. It had taken just 13 months, albeit 13 months of hard work, to turn a static airframe into a living memorial to the 55,000 fallen of Bomber Command.

In February 2001 NX611 performed her first fast run, with the tail wheel lifting clear of the ground for the first time since 1971. This was also the first time a Lancaster had been seen on one of East Kirkby’s runways since around 1946!

This amazing sight took place on behalf of the BBC who featured the Lancaster in the two part drama 'Night and Day' – starring Christopher Plummer and Edward Woodward as WWII veterans whose memories of Bomber Command Operations still haunted them. The fictitious Squadron codes CM-V were applied to NX611 and the 'Just Jane' nose art was temporarily taped over whilst filming was underway.

The latest changes to the paint scheme took place during 2006, when the nose art was revised; previously 'Just Jane' had worn a red one piece bathing suit, but the this was revised to show a WWII era bikini clad 'Jane', as worn by the original Daily Mail newspaper comic strip character. The Sqn codes commemorate East Kirkby’s two wartime Lancaster Sqns, with the 57 Sqn DX represented on the starboard side and 630 Sqn’s LE on the port side - were also outlined in yellow. In tribute to Christopher Panton, a skull and crossbones motif was also added to the rear turret, as originally carried on his Halifax during WWII.

For the record, 57 Sqn's DX-C was LM517 and became the longest serving Lancaster with the Sqn; LE-C with 630 Sqn was ND554 'Conquering Cleo'.