Death from Above - my best videos of destruction!

CMBN can throw up some great moments, but I think some of the most spectacular moments can come when an air or artillery strike reeks havoc. I've pasted a couple of links to incidents I've been involved with. With the airstrike I was on the receiving end. I did get some payback though (unfortunately against a different opponent) with a nebelwerfer strike, which was fortunate enough to detonate just as my opponent was advancing across an open field.

Man, they really should do sumfink about the bullet spread on strafing runs.

It's not a really high priority for me because I almost never play with air support, but generally a WWII fighter pilot would not be able to keep his guns firing into that small an area, for that long. Nor would he usually want to -- except when firing at very clear targets like vehicles on open roads, he'd usually not have such a precise fix on where the target was -- he would spread his fire out to make sure he hit what he intended to. Spotting stuff on the ground when you're moving at 300+ mph. ain't so easy.

At the least, even with a well-spotted target, you'd see a lead-in covering a good 100m or so, where the bullets walked up to the target point, a pause where the fire is concentrated on the point target, and then a trail-away of a few more rounds, as the pilot pulls up.

Even modern AH-64 attack helicopter pilots would be very happy with a gun strike that precise.

Ludicrous accuracy and spread for a WWII plane, even for a non synchronised armament as in the P-38, what was the pilot doing, diving down from near vertical?

Very strange reaction by the troops in the second clip, are they trying to outrun shrapnel? One would have thought after the first detonations all the troops would have gone prone, not continued to move, especially upright.

I'm beginning to get a nagging feeling that too many simulations of major weapons systems have not been modelled accurately, threatening the games advertised veracity.

Ludicrous accuracy and spread for a WWII plane, even for a non synchronised armament as in the P-38, what was the pilot doing, diving down from near vertical?

Very strange reaction by the troops in the second clip, are they trying to outrun shrapnel? One would have thought after the first detonations all the troops would have gone prone, not continued to move, especially upright.

I'm beginning to get a nagging feeling that too many simulations of major weapons systems have not been modelled accurately, threatening the games advertised veracity.

Honestly, if you want realism WRT air support, than don't play with it at all. CAS (as opposed to tactical interdiction/attrition) had very little role on the Normandy battlefield.

My personal view of Air Support in CMBN is that it's a little extra feature BFC put in for fun because they already had the basic code from CMSF. It's not particularly realistic, but people interested in realistic fights won't use it, so it's not a big deal.

I have a similar view of heavy Naval Gunfire; accuracy and salvo spread of these systems in CMBN is way too tight. But realistically, the 12"+ guns were almost never used in close proximity of friendly troops, so I'm happy with just leaving them out of my games.