Morale / suppression levels

I am confused about the Morale and Suppression levels.

From the manual : OK - Pinned - Shaken - Panic - Broken -Surrender -Rout

From another source: OK -Cautious - Nervous - Shaken -Rattled

I do not know which if these are morale or suppression levels

Can some one give me the Morale levels and the suppression levels?

Thanks

Shaken and Panic are much worse than Broken in the game. Broken just has a yellow line around it but Panic and Shaken have a red line and you cannot control them.

I do not like this as I find that this is counter-intuitive as broken means that you have broken and want to flee. Shaken and panic are levels of a state of mind that will lead you to flee. And rout should be before surrender. You are still attempting to preserve yourself. by surrendering, you are not actively trying to preserve yourself but are relying upon the enemy to preserve you. I have always been confused by this.

It should be

OK - Pinned - Shaken - Panic - Broken - Rout - Surrender

but it appears to be

OK - Pinned - Broken - Shaken - Panic - Surrender - Rout

From what I have observed in game the soldier's condition can persist at one of these levels:

OK / Cautious / Nervous / Rattled / Broken

When bad things happen your men can temporarily become Shaken or Panic. When they are Shaken or Panic they will not accept your orders until they settle down - to one of the persistent states. I have not seen men change to a better state only worse. Sometime becoming Shaken has no lasting effect but Panic pretty much always does. The temporary states of Shaken and Panic last for varying periods of time and how much effect they have on troops persistent state also varies. I have seen guys get to broken pretty fast and I have seen them become shaken repeatedly and only become Rattled. Troop training, motivation, leadership and command and control seem to be factored in along with just how bad things are for them.

Panic and Shaken are temporary. Once your unit has recovered from either of those states, the best they can get back to is Broken (edit: see Ian's post. Shaken may go back to rattled depending on the circumstances), which means that they are MUCH more likely to Shake or Panic if placed under further pressure.

By and large, the morale model ratchets upwards, never downwards. The only exception is that total loss of control by the player will be recovered from, eventualy.

Think of it this way:

You have a unit that is under fire. Very heavy fire. The unit's morale progresses through cautious etc till they panic and run away. Eventually they recover from their temporary panic, and you can start giving them orders again. They are no longer panicked. However, their previous experience underfire has permanently affected they morale state - they are now permanently broken and will move to the temporary state panic much easier from now on.

edit: ninja'd by Ian.

edit2: Ian, the second item in your list - H2H campaigns - has never /not/ been in CMx2.

It also seems that it is possible for units to recover from the 'Rattled' state.

Seem to me that it goes:

READY - OK - CAUTIOUS - NERVOUS - SHAKEN - PANIC

Heavy incoming fire (being pinned) and high casualty rates can also possibly lead to:

RATTLED or BROKEN

Contrary to the manual there is, as you will have noticed, no ROUT.

It also seems that it is possible for units to recover from the 'Rattled' state.

Really? Huh. I don't think I've ever seen that. From my much-less-than-rigourous observations of this, I'd come to the conclusion that rattled was permanent.

Hello All:

This is a section from errata (that came with the first patch I think??):

----------------

Page 94

OK, Cautious, Nervous, Shaken, Rattled

These stages reflect various levels of "unease" a unit can feel regarding its current combat situation, with "OK" being relaxed and "Rattled" being the least relaxed. These conditions are temporary and the unit remains responsive to player commands (unlike the states described further below).

--------------------------

Gerry

Does this mean that there are actually 2 different states being held within this one field?

OK, Cautious, Nervous, Shaken, Rattled - are short term states only - - Broken represents a long term state while the former represent something that is short term that has an affect upon your long term state

E.g. Once you get to Shaken or Rattled, you cannot get back to normal but your lowest state can now only be Broken?