Great Success - The 4GB Patch Works on CMBN-CW

I just ran the 4GB patch on the CMBN-CW executable and it worked! I then took my largest map, 3.2x3.0 km, and added a full armored infantry BN and two tank companies to each side. The game started without any problem. That is not to say that it will not lock up with that size force once the bullets started to fly but before when I loaded just a tank BN on each side the game would not load at all. Locked up almost immediately with an out of memory problem. I believe the large map/large force fans will be very pleased!

Edit: I forgot to say: Well done BFC!!

Sorry for the stupid question, but I'm at work and will not have access to the Commonwealth goodness until I get home - what do I need to do to get CMBN running with 4GBs of RAM?

Yes, I could wait until I get home an RTFM, but this will make the next few hours pass by that much quicker!

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the stupid question, but I'm at work and will not have access to the Commonwealth goodness until I get home - what do I need to do to get CMBN running with 4GBs of RAM?

Yes, I could wait until I get home an RTFM, but this will make the next few hours pass by that much quicker!

Thanks in advance.

+1. Same here...and I don't recall seeing a separate patch last night, but then I didn't have much time and was pretty beat when I got to downloading and installing.

I just ran the 4GB patch on the CMBN-CW executable and it worked!

I'm confused ... :confused:

I have a MacBook Pro with 8 Gb of RAM. You mean it doesn't use all of that RAM now?

Didn't know that. So, do I have to run a patch on my Mac after I install my CMBN (CW)?

Regards,

Doug

There is no separate patch. The ability to better utilize memory is already included in the game. Do not run ANYTHING THAT ALTERS THE EXECUTABLE.

If by "4GB patch" you mean you set your operating system to use a larger virtual address space (the /3GB switch, or increasing user VA, what have you), then great. But do NOT use any "large address" patches that alter the exe.

I'm confused ... :confused:

I have a MacBook Pro with 8 Gb of RAM. You mean it doesn't use all of that RAM now?

Didn't know that. So, do I have to run a patch on my Mac after I install my CMBN (CW)?

Regards,

Doug

The Mac version already uses all available memory.

The Mac version already uses all available memory.

Thanks ...

I knew there was a reason I converted our entire household over to Mac's .. :D

CMBN ran smoothly on my 2009 MacBook Pro with 8Gb memory and 500Gb SDRAM drive (all options ON) .. ;)

Regards,

Doug

There is no separate patch. The ability to better utilize memory is already included in the game. Do not run ANYTHING THAT ALTERS THE EXECUTABLE.

Roger that.

If by "4GB patch" you mean you set your operating system to use a larger virtual address space (the /3GB switch, or increasing user VA, what have you), then great. But do NOT use any "large address" patches that alter the exe.

Humm do I have to do something extra on my 64 bit Windows vista machine to get CMBN 1.10 install to make maximum use of my machine's memory? I figured from reading the change list all was well.

If you're running Vista 64-bit or Windows 7 64-bit you're fine, you don't need to make any changes.

32-bit operating systems (like XP, regular Vista, or Windows 7 32) need to be explicitly told that you want to let processes use larger address spaces. The steps (and the underlying changes) are different for XP and the newer OSes, though.

If you're running Vista 64-bit or Windows 7 64-bit you're fine, you don't need to make any changes.

32-bit operating systems (like XP, regular Vista, or Windows 7 32) need to be explicitly told that you want to let processes use larger address spaces. The steps (and the underlying changes) are different for XP and the newer OSes, though.

I have Win Vista 32 bit, so can someone post the "for dummies" step by step on how to set that larger address space up, and how much to allocate?

Phil, I stand corrected. CMBN-CW by itself will load the map/force structure I listed in my OP.

It does not need the 4GB patch. I must assume BFC set the LAA flag itself which makes it much easier and safer for everyone. Hopefully that will allow the game to actually run with a large map and reinforced BN force structure, as I said, when the bullets start to fly. Only time will tell.

Yes, thanks to Battlefront. The game doesn't use all of my laptop's 6g ram but moving around the bigger maps- and CW came with a lot of them- is now a breeze. I just wish it loaded the graphics into memory and effected draw distance as well. My gridded terrain only extends out to a couple of dozen rows, for example. But overall a noticeable improvement. And no more OOMs; Huzzar! loads and plays smoothly.

Phil, I stand corrected. CMBN-CW by itself will load the map/force structure I listed in my OP.

It does not need the 4GB patch. I must assume BFC set the LAA flag itself which makes it much easier and safer for everyone. Hopefully that will allow the game to actually run with a large map and reinforced BN force structure, as I said, when the bullets start to fly. Only time will tell.

Yes, we have already done what these programs do, and a whole lot more. There were significant benefits to instituting a real, complete fix. It was a whole lot of work, quite a bit more than just setting a flag, but it was well worth it.

My main concern with these LAA programs is the same as it was before - they might trip the DRM and cause a world of headaches. Never use any programs that alter your CM executables, no matter how "safe" people claim they are.

So Phil, you're saying the memory access improvements are already set up automatically when we installed the CW module + patch, even if we've been running 32 bit Vista OS with no special settings? And there's nothing else we 32-ers need to do? If so, that's great.

Nope, 32-ers need to do extra stuff, because your OS isn't expecting that you're going to try and run programs that need a larger address space.

The improvements that a Large Address Aware patcher would provide are already included in the exe and will automatically be used if possible, but for a 32-bit OS you need to explicitly tell your OS that you want to use them.