Super Spotting Recon

I still feel that this aspect of CMBN needs tweaking...

In my opinion this is just too much information for my armoured car to have gleaned within 2 seconds at 500m. He knows exactly what type of AT gun it is despite only catching a glimpse.

Max zoom of Armoured car view:

Amazing%20Spotting.png

Wow.... I was just going to start a new thread about über spotting. I just designed a scenario with fairly thick tall pines, modest to gentle hills, light fog, rain and early morning. Within 30 seconds of my spotter crawling to the top of a hill, he spots a 50mm AT gun at 265m through whole heck of a lot of trees, fog, rain and very dim early morning light. The gun has not fired a single round, I know this because, it is facing 90 degrees away from all of my troops. This gun is located in a light forest tile with 2 or 3 pines in it plus there are a couple of the same type tiles in front of it. I understand pines are easier to see through than regular trees but there are a lot of trees between the two. I dropped down to see if I could see the gun from the spotter's position and couldn't even see 100m out. In the conditions I described you would need modern day infrared to see them. This wasn't just one time either, I have restarted this scenario at least 6 times today with the same result. Not to mention spotting a unit means you get to learn everything but his favorite color.

Thanks skelley. What were the variables - experience level of the spotting unit, difficulty setting? Are you sure it was that unit that did the spotting?

If you could send a saved game (or the scenario itself) that would be great - we could take a look.

All German forces were veteran. My spotter initially was regular I cranked it up to crack on the last go around because his arty spotting was very bad the first few go arounds. but his enemy spotting was uber on both experience levels. Difficulty was elite. It was the only unit that had eyes on it . I can send the scenario to ya. The spotter in question is my battalion spotter in the halftrack behind the largest hill on allied side. Just move it straight ahead, up the hill to the tip top of the hill. I move the HT close to the woods at the crest and crawl him forward. Within 30 seconds or less you should spot the 50mm. Where should I send it? Thanks.

Just ran a few tests. 1st test was a green spotter...after 8 minutes in position it never spotted the 50mm gun. Next... Regular spotter, as soon as it got into position it got a contact at the 50mm position and 10 seconds later full ID. The gun didn't fire at my spotter to give away position. In fact its starting direction is off to the right of all allied troops and remained that way after being spotted. If there is some way to get green spotting ability while retaining regular fighting fighting ability, that to me would fix most of my issues. I miss the days of being torn up by MG fire and only getting a sound contact in the general direction of the MG.

There is something I don't understand about visibility through trees. It often happes that when you check whether a tank has LOS to some place on map, the LOS line shows that visibility should be ok. But in reality there are lots of trees between the tank and the target. If you start area firing to this spot that should be valid, all rounds hit trees long before the target.

Another spotting related issue is American Jeeps with a single driver heading into enemy territory and reporting back what he sees before he dies.

He is driving and under fire and yet still stays in C2 to pass the info back. His spotting should be reduced and certainly would not be able to report it back unless he parks up and works he radio.....

Not sure if anything can be done but it does not seem right.

Another spotting related issue is American Jeeps with a single driver heading into enemy territory and reporting back what he sees before he dies.

Haha, we got a fairly good laugh today when I had a Jeep drive fairly deep trough his lines, spotted a few Panthers, some infantry and a Stug that finally blasted him away.

It got really fun when we imagined this guy, Headphones on, pedal to the metal, speeding trough Small arms fire, "A PLATOON OF ENEMY INFANTRY 100 M! (Mgs and rifles open up), TWO PANTHERS BY THE RIDGE! (a 75mm shot streaks over him), A STUG BEHIND THE FARM! (and finally takes a direct hit).

Brave man saved a lot of guys that day. :D