Puzzled by Carbide Carbide set up

Mild spoiler *****

When I try to place my units in what appear to be their set up areas, some units move immediately to their assigned locations while others show paths to their assigned locations.

For example, I'm trying to place four 81mm mortars, two sets each with a leader and two mortar teams. I can't place either of the leaders. When I try, both of them get paths to the locations I want. However, I can move one pair of teams immediately, but the other pair of teams gets paths. Why?

The four teams and their leaders start very close together and appear identical, yet I can't move them the same way. I'm finding this frustrating. I have more than fifty units to set up, and I can't tell which I can place and which I can only move.

In many cases, their initial positions don't make sense -- AT guns and HMGs with no fields of fire. As I recall CM1, the units I had to place were lined up on "my" edge of the map, and I could pick them up and plop them down where ever I wanted in my set up area. You gave movement orders only after the set up was complete.

Hello:

IIRC some scenarios have multiple setup zones, each with a different color. If you deploy a unit in setup within its zone, it is deployed immediately. If you try to deploy a unit out of its setup zone, it will have to move there in the first turn so you will see a movement order.

Gerry

Hello:

IIRC some scenarios have multiple setup zones, each with a different color. If you deploy a unit in setup within its zone, it is deployed immediately. If you try to deploy a unit out of its setup zone, it will have to move there in the first turn so you will see a movement order.

Gerry

What Gerry said :)

I think the colours used for the set-up zones can be confusing as they are differant shades of red or blue. Depending on the background i.e. terrain colour, daylight, monitor settings etc it can be hard to differentiate between one shade of say red and another.

the colours used for the set-up zones can be confusing as they are differant shades of red or blue.
Yes. The various setup zones are very hard to tell apart.

Using three very similar shades of the same color was not a good UI choice. Yes, it does make the scenario editor easier to use and understand. But 95% of the players don't use the editor. Most players just play scenarios; these players will never see a German setup zone at the same time as an Allied setup zone.

The setup zone colors could be easily improved by using red, green and blue for them, for both sides.

The placement cursor has two states, one for "legal" and the other for "illegal." Why can't the "illegal" state always be shown for set up placements you can't make? That would allow you to tell easily which units can't be placed and must be moved to change their locations.

During set up, I want to establish starting positions, not give movement commands. When I'm to give commands, I'll give commands. For me, at least, it's error prone that what I want to be initial placements sometimes become movement commands.

During setup you are doing both I.e. Giving your initial commands and placement... In the early days I forgot this and missed out on the first minute of action as my forces sat there. Not sure there is an easy answer to CM1Fan request.

The suggestion by Wreck would make good sense and I hope that is implemented as i often get confused by set up zones of similar colour.

During setup you are doing both: giving your initial commands AND placement... In the early days I forgot this and missed out on the first minute of action as my forces sat there. Not sure there is an easy answer to CM1Fan request.

I don't understand what you forgot. If your "forces sat there" during the first minute of action, you must not have given them commands at either opportunity to do so.

Questions:

1. Can a scenario have units which can move but whose initial positions are fixed? If so, how do you identify such units, units whose setup area is a single point?

2. What is the benefit of being able to give initial commands during setup AND during the immediately following command phase? Are there commands available during the setup phase which you can not give or which execute differently during the command phase? [Artillery fire which impacts during the first minute as opposed to fire with minutes of delay?]

1. Can a scenario have units which can move but whose initial positions are fixed? If so, how do you identify such units, units whose setup area is a single point?

Yes. They will be outside of a setup zone. I have not seen this personally but from reading the manual about scenario creation this is clearly possible to do.

2. What is the benefit of being able to give initial commands during setup AND during the immediately following command phase?

Your setup phase is both initial setup and first turn's orders. The next command phase you get is after the first minute of play.

For example, I'm trying to place four 81mm mortars, two sets each with a leader and two mortar teams. I can't place either of the leaders. When I try, both of them get paths to the locations I want. However, I can move one pair of teams immediately, but the other pair of teams gets paths. Why?

As previously answered this is caused by there being multiple setup zones. As far as getting the placement you want I stared a PBEM game of this scenario recently and had the same issue. Here is what I did. I placed the mortar teams where I wanted them inside their own setup zones (no movement orders for them). Then I placed the their leaders as close as possible to the appropriate mortar team inside the leader's setup zone. Then I gave the leaders a move order to where I really wanted them to be. In my case they were all set and ready to go after that first minute.