Is there a Carentan Map (v.2)

errr sorry about that........... didnt mean to court controversy.

I know its a 'tough' crowd - in your opinion if i built the map before FJs is it likely to be ignored until they are released upon us?

And if i thought arse ill build it anyway are there likely to be swanky new map tools/features and graphics with the FJ release that will make it obsolete?

Basically build it now or find another 'famous' invasion battle and take it from there i suppose!

No worries, man...that HAD nothing to do with you.

But I think you'll be safe on the Carenten map, if it's something you really are into go for it...I doubt they'd add anything into the title that would screw up old maps...there's supposed to be some new terrain and maybe some flavor objects but that could easily be edited into whatever you design now. look at it this way, you could put in the preliminary work now and by the time the module hits you won't have as much to do and will be able to release it much quicker than if you start after Market Garden gets here.

Either way, look forward to your creations.

Mord.

UCG I think its fair to say that nothing added to the Market Garden module will break maps previously made in CMBN.

You'll get Luftwaffe Field Units in the Commonwealth module, but will otherwise have to wait for Market Garden for the FJ.

So there is no point waiting to make a Carentan map, you might as well go for it now ;-) I'm somewhat surprised no one has already done so.

Plenty of guys here can offer help on the editor side of things if you need it, and I can say that some, if not all, of the maps that will be shipping with the Commonwealth module will knock you guys out.

P

Just to be repetitive, it was a great idea for a thread, sorry it got hijacked on you.

I agree with everyone else and speaking selfishly - it NEVER hurts to have a new map. Carentan is one campaign/scenario I am eagerly waiting for. Look at it this way, you have a nice long lead time to prepare your map and get up to speed on the editor and AI planning. Hopefully when you actually have the units ready you'll just need to figure the OoB and plug it in.

And the crowd is not actually that tough, lots of folks here are more than willing to give advice, tips, assist with playtesting etc. If you want to work on this be assured there are many who will be more than happy to help out. Asking for help when you really want it is always welcome- asking for help as the lead sentence in a rant about everything that is wrong with CMBN is gonna generate a whole different response :-P

Just to be repetitive, it was a great idea for a thread, sorry it got hijacked on you.

I agree with everyone else and speaking selfishly - it NEVER hurts to have a new map. Carentan is one campaign/scenario I am eagerly waiting for. Look at it this way, you have a nice long lead time to prepare your map and get up to speed on the editor and AI planning. Hopefully when you actually have the units ready you'll just need to figure the OoB and plug it in.

And the crowd is not actually that tough, lots of folks here are more than willing to give advice, tips, assist with playtesting etc. If you want to work on this be assured there are many who will be more than happy to help out. Asking for help when you really want it is always welcome- asking for help as the lead sentence in a rant about everything that is wrong with CMBN is gonna generate a whole different response :-P

youve all been great, thanks for advice and help

with reference to 'tough crowd' i was just referring to the purists thinking 'no FJ - no Carentan' but ill get started once i download the full game - next day or two.

Actually, while we're here, can we expect any new goodies in the way of map / terrain types in the CW module?

While I'd love a ground level LOS blocking "thicket" or "high dense brush" tile, what about a flat-roofed industrial building type? (accessible roofs a la CMSF, grimy brick construction and high bays -- basically a "barn" variant). The Caen area was somewhat more developed industrially than the US Basse Normandie sector; we must also start thinking about the Breakout, Falaise and Leclerc's Liberation drive for/into Paris.

A nice to have would be a black iron "fire escape" balcony type.... Doesn't have to be an exterior stair although this would rockn if Charles is feeling bored (yeah, right!). You might also want a "long window" that doesn't include a door; prewar factories were big on natural daylight to save lighting costs.

Railway rolling stock would be way cool too for railway station / / marshaling yard fights.

A (no climbing no LOS nightmare) smokestack flavour object would also look awesome! (thinking it would be a kind of tree so it would cast a shadow and absorb some fire)

A few cover-providing industrial flavour objects off the top of my head might include: large industrial vat (wood and cast iron), drill press or lathe, burnt out civilian lorry, large stack of railroad ties or lumber, kiln/furnace (basically a large brick fireplace with a metal hatch).

...And while I'm thinking about European urban areas, an iron railing (a low stone or brick wall topped by a spiked rail that men can't hop across without breaching) seems like a pretty ubiquitous feature.

The other most common city feature missing at present would be a solid flavour object representing a flight of steps 1-2 meters up to a townhouse. Good solid cover for men fighting in the streets. Making these steps climbable would be even better! -- so mapmakers can sink the ground floors of certain buildings into half basements and let troops enter the second floor directly (hint: you can already "fake" this with a Bridge object!). But that's a wishlist feature.

For the older districts of Gay Paree, a collonaded balcony type would also provide an interesting building facade with tactical properties -- at first floor, instead of posts reaching to the ground you have thick stone pillars and arches (providing solid cover).