Enough Bocage already

Quite. On the other hand, I'd have liked to have started on the Eastern Front for the same reasons. (Just like we did in Squal Leader a very, very, very long time ago ;))

Actually, Squad Leader scenarios were pretty evenly divided between East and West Fronts. Cross of Iron, the first gamette, on the other hand, was completely devoted to the Eastern Front.

Michael

It's kind of surprising that Battlefront is doing another East Front game at all given the alleged disappointing sales of CMBB.

I must admit this statement takes me by surprise. I must be farther behind the times than I had thought. Although CMBB did not sell as well as CMBO, I assumed that a big part of that was because the newness of the game had worn off among the general gaming population and had little or nothing to do with the subject matter. I base this on the perennial popularity of East Front games over the last 40 years or more. It seems to me that even now East Front games outnumber games devoted exclusively to the West Front by a healthy margin, perhaps even two to one.

Michael

Hi,

Well... happily for me I agree with just about everyone here.. ;).

Bocage is not my favourite setting, but as others have indicated very soon we will have the CW module which is not about bocage. Mostly open, rolling, summer French countryside. A good mix for all types of warfare.

Also... Yes... the Eastern Front dwarfs all others both historically and in terms of its interest as a wargames or simulation setting. Good to know when we get their CMX2 will be at its full maturity in the WWII version.

But.. added to the above The Bulge is my favourite Western Front setting, hugely atmospheric, and coming soon!

So the future CM wise is bright :).

All the best,

Merry Christmas,

Kip.

Actually, Squad Leader scenarios were pretty evenly divided between East and West Fronts. Cross of Iron, the first gamette, on the other hand, was completely devoted to the Eastern Front.

Michael

Yes but scenarios 1-6 were the Eastern Front and 7-12 were the Western Front (and American). I realise they were all in the same box but the fact that the first ones (you were supposed to play them in order for learning purposes) were on the Eastern Front was a bit of a statement of intent. The fact that Cross of Iron was the first gamette drove the point home. Eastern front was the front for wargamers.

It's kind of surprising that Battlefront is doing another East Front game at all given the alleged disappointing sales of CMBB. It seems that the bulk of their customer base- the quiet majority?- demands the presence of Americans.

Has anyone said "Harrumph" yet? Despite what some posters have said, it does seem that all of these series of games have to start in Normandy with the Americans. It does get a bit boring. Not actually boring as such but there are so many other theatres/nationalities that I'd rather explore for a change.

Mind you, just to undermine my own point, I do love playing the Brits. Can't wait to hear some vaguely regional Brit accents. (Bet there's no Bristolian!)

Oh I wonder what people will be saying in another five years:

These wide open Eastern Front Battles are really X and Y. We should go and do something like A or B.

Yeah...wherever we are they wanna be the other place...

But here's what I say to all; You know what's pretty amazing about CM Normandy, or any of the CM games for that matter...there's an editor, and in it you can create a map, huge or tiny, covered in most any terrain you want...So...quit bitchin' and start designing...

Mord.

Yeah...wherever we are they wanna be the other place...

But here's what I say to all; You know what's pretty amazing about CM Normandy, or any of the CM games for that matter...there's an editor, and in it you can create a map, huge or tiny, covered in most any terrain you want...So...quit bitchin' and start designing...

Mord.

I did start and had to stop when figuring the map editor does not allow translating real world battlefield map data with reasonable amount of time and efforts. Also desired map sizes (9 to 16 square km) sooner or later lead to OOM issues. So unless AT LEAST the OOM issues got resolved, I rather spend my limited time on games (and its editors), that support me better. No reason to plug further modules into a game I can´t really work with. :(

I did start and had to stop when figuring the map editor does not allow translating real world battlefield map data with reasonable amount of time and efforts. Also desired map sizes (9 to 16 square km) sooner or later lead to OOM issues. So unless AT LEAST the OOM issues got resolved, I rather spend my limited time on games (and its editors), that support me better. No reason to plug further modules into a game I can´t really work with. :(

I wouldn't give up just yet...still got three modules and all the patches in between....you don't have to buy the modules, and the patches will be free, so maybe that stuff will be more to your liking by then.

Mord.

Here's the quote from November 2010,

"When we do Arnhem the Allies will all be modded to wear wooden shoes and the Germans will all have tulips in their tunic pockets. That should do it!

Seriously though, we can add new terrain, textures, Flavor Objects, etc. that are Module specific. That's what we are planning on doing for Arnhem. Obviously a LOT of the terrain won't change at all, but there will be new options for terrain that will give a distinct Dutch feel to the scenarios."

-Steve

It sounds good...I really, really hope they've kept the same plans.

Mord.