Commonwaelth Forces Vehicle List

Nice list of vehicles in the preliminary list including the much-requested-back-in-the-day Marder 1 - Yay!

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=289&Itemid=490

Also hope the AEC MkIII armoured car makes it into the final mix (it being the best a/c of the time - sorry Puma fans ;) )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AEC_Armoured_Car

Edit: *Commonwealth

I was surprised to see the King Tiger on the list of German vehicles. It was my understanding that it made its debut at the Battle of the Bulge and would have expected to see it when the Bulge module came out.

Is it being included purely because it is a popular tank? I would really like to see the Brummbar included with this module; it fought in Normandy and I think it has more place here than the King Tiger.

I was surprised to see the King Tiger on the list of German vehicles. It was my understanding that it made its debut at the Battle of the Bulge and would have expected to see it when the Bulge module came out.

Of course it was used in Normandy. 503rd Heavy Tank Battalion used them (at least). There is even that one famous case where a Sherman of the Royal Irish Regiment rammed into the side of a King Tiger.

MtT6l.jpg

Is it being included purely because it is a popular tank? I would really like to see the Brummbar included with this module; it fought in Normandy and I think it has more place here than the King Tiger.

Pz VIb's combat debut was in Normandy. There were more Tiger IIs than Stupas in the campaign and they were in action earlier.

I am excited for the Jagdpanther!!! That right there is a real beast of a TD. Also, having some 17lbr armed tanks and TD's is going to make for a more even long range contest for the Tiger I and Panther. And, PBEM opponents beware, I will have PIATs in buildings on the defensive :)

I'm waiting for that commonwealth module since CMBN is on!

Hill 112, Verriere ridge, Caen, falaise road, carpiquet, the paratroopers on merville battery!

Getting through the german AT screen that will be the hard thing! and I can't wait to experience it! Fights and distance will probly be a bit longer since in Caen area there isn't as much bocage as american front.

It will be a challenge!

the_du8.gif

I'm slightly disapointed to be honest. why is it that when ever a module comes out. the "axis" gets the smallest expansion. ?

there are plenty of vehicles to bulk the axis up with.

stug 4? brumbar? 251/22 (tho i think that'd be hard to model someone said in the past with incorperating at guns onto a vehicle model)

You need to consider the other modules - I'm sure some of the missing tanks will appear at some point.

I'm slightly disapointed to be honest. why is it that when ever a module comes out. the "axis" gets the smallest expansion. ?

there are plenty of vehicles to bulk the axis up with.

stug 4? brumbar? 251/22 (tho i think that'd be hard to model someone said in the past with incorperating at guns onto a vehicle model)

Don't see what the problem would be modeling the 251/22, since the game already has the 251/10 and 251/9 and it's basically the same idea, just with a much more powerful gun.

However, I don't think the 251/22 was in service in the Normandy timeframe; it was mostly a late-war expedient and I don't think made it to combat units until about December 1944. As such, I don't think we'll see them until the Bulge game.

There were never huge quantities of Stug IVs, but they were in Normandy. I suspect the reason BFC hasn't tackled this vehicle yet is that, from a tactical capability viewpoint, it's only very slightly different than a Stug III. So it's a lot of additional modeling work, for very little new gameplay. Other vehicles, then, have probably taken higher priority. But maybe we'll see it eventually.

As for the Brummbar, it looks like less than 20 of these were ever actually operational at one time in Normandy, and these few didn't even make it into the theater until at least mid-July, and perhaps as late as early August. But they got there eventually, and they are certainly a unique piece of kit. This would seem to be a good candidate for the final "odd n' sods" module.

Sherman of the Royal Irish Regiment

Irish Guards (Armoured)

The crew of that Sherman

Lieutenant John Gorman - an Ulsterman

Lance-Corporal Baron - the driver, a Lancastrian

Guardsman Scholes - the gunner , not sure where he's from.

Guardsman Agnew - bow gunner, not sure were he's from

Unknown - the loader.

From the obituary of James Baron (Telegraph 12/09/02)

James Baron, who has died aged 87, was awarded an immediate Military Medal for charging and ramming a German King Tiger tank in Normandy in 1944 while serving with Armoured Irish Guards.

On July 18 the 2nd Armoured Battalion of the Irish Guards was taking part in a powerful armoured thrust near Cagny in Operation Goodwood, which aimed to isolate Caen from the east and free the Allied forces to the west for the forthcoming breakout of Normandy.

The Irish Guards were equipped with Sherman tanks, which had proved to be a reliable fighting vehicle, but were outclassed by the German Tiger and Panther tanks. On the Western Front, the Allies had no answer to Hitler's latest weapon, the King Tiger, armed with an 88 mm gun, originally designed as an anti-aircraft gun. Intelligence reports that it was about to make its appearance in Normandy were received with considerable apprehension.

"What do we do if we meet a King Tiger?" Lance-Corporal Baron had asked his troop commander, Lieutenant John Gorman, at a briefing a few days earlier. "The only thing we can do," Gorman told his driver, "is to use naval tactics. If the 88 mm gun is pointing away from us, we shall have to use the speed of the Sherman and ram it."

On the afternoon of July 18, as Gorman came round the corner of a hedge in his Sherman, he saw four German tanks 300 yards away in the middle of a field. There was an old-fashioned Tiger, a Panther, an old Mark IV and a King Tiger - the first seen in battle on the Western Front.

The King Tiger's devastating 88 mm gun was pointing at one of Gorman's troop on the rise behind him. The Sherman's 75 mm gun was little more use than a pea-shooter against the King Tiger's armour - armour piercing shells would bounce off it. "Driver, ram!" shouted Gorman.

The Sherman crashed through a thin hedge and careered down the slope at 40 mph towards the King Tiger. With 75 yards to go before impact, the Sherman's gunner, Guardsman Scholes, fired a high-explosive shell at the King Tiger. Although it did not penetrate the armour, he felt that it would give the Germans something to worry about.

The British tank slid down beside the long barrel and struck the King Tiger hard at the rear of its right track. With the Sherman's turret only a few inches from the 88 mm weapon, Gorman's crew were like birds sitting on a sportsman's gun. On impact, both crews baled out and went in opposite directions - except one man, Guardsman Agnew, the front gunner, who, finding his exit blocked and having to scramble back to the turret, was the last out of the tank.

As Agnew dropped to the ground, he saw four men running for a ditch and promptly joined them. They were the German crew. After an exchange of cold stares, being a punctilious sort of man, he saluted smartly and disappeared into a cornfield to rejoin his comrades.

Gorman ordered Baron and the others to stay where they were; he set off on a zig-zag run through the orchards, where he found a Firefly tank. Gorman returned with the Firefly and completed the destruction of the King Tiger and the Sherman with the 17-pounder gun.

Meanwhile, the crew had been caught in an artillery barrage. When two guardsmen were wounded, Baron made a rough bed for them and stayed with his friends until they were picked up by a passing tank.

For their parts in this action, Corporal Baron received the MM and Lt Gorman the MC.

Hah, where's your tinopener when you need it?

I wouldn't say I'm dissapointed,

but having the kangaroo would have been real nice since after totalized, they were used in almost all cdn and some british operations.

Also 25pounder? I don't know if they have been use in direct fire in normandy tho,

I know they have been in holland. It was the major piece of arty of the commonwealth, but I know it wasn't an infantry gun.

Ahh I see, you doubt the veracity of the tale.

No problems, just put in "Lieutenant John Gorman" into a browser of your choice and you can check on the veracity of the obituary.

As for the intelligence around the Tiger II, well I don't know exactly what they knew about it, but if its bigger than the usual Tiger, you don't need to know the exact armour thickness on the mantlet etc to know it's going to be a real bitch to take on - especially in a 75mm Sherman.