Why can infantry shoot through this wall?

I was surprised recently to discover that they could actually be spotted thru that blank wall. I don't understand the logic behind that, though I could have told them to hide and probably will in the future.

I do agree that once they've been blasted after getting spotted that way, apparently the game lets them shoot back thru any significant damage.

Because it's a Barn. They are totally porous to incoming and outgoing fire from every side. Fire up 'Chance Encounter' and you'll see what I mean; you get some concealment but no cover. One assumes this represents a hastily slapped together building housing farm beasts, tools and tractors.

BFC was very naughty in not documenting the attributes of this structure in the manual.

Because it's a Barn. They are totally porous to incoming and outgoing fire from every side. Fire up 'Chance Encounter' and you'll see what I mean; you get some concealment but no cover. One assumes this represents a hastily slapped together building housing farm beasts, tools and tractors.

not necessarily hastily - just made of wooden planks. Usually just a 2-3 centimeters thick. No cover really - but concealment. but probably a stupid place to be in.

If your troops are active, the concealment will be poor. If they're hiding, they, IIRC from some tests someone published, have pretty good concealment. Of course they don't spot well while hidden.

I wasn't aware that someone had tested blank walls. Since we are talking about Northern France and not rural Russia, I would be surprised if barns were porous constructions that reveal people moving around behind solid walls. I don't even think my guys were moving around at the time.

AFAIK, the AI won't shoot at anyone until the shooter has a positive ID (though it will keep area firing after it loses the positive ID). If that is correct, then the AI had a positive ID on my squad through a solid barn wall. The only other thing I can think is that the gun doing the shooting was really aiming at something else and got a lucky hit. Not impossible. :)

I have seen the issue of shooting through "solid" walls in CM:A and CM:SF as well as CM:BN. It seems to me that this issue first cropped up in one of the later patches for CM:SF.

So this really has nothing to do with the fact that the OP had troops in a Barn. This happens in all buildings.

I have seen the issue of shooting through "solid" walls in CM:A and CM:SF as well as CM:BN. It seems to me that this issue first cropped up in one of the later patches for CM:SF.

So this really has nothing to do with the fact that the OP had troops in a Barn. This happens in all buildings.

Ya I've noticed this in CMSF too but it doesn't always happen so I was never sure if it was a bug or a "feature"

But yes it would be nice if scenario designers put walls around blind spots of buildings to avoid this.

Well, no, you get concealment....

Yes but "cover-wise" as I said ;)

The wall seems to be damaged!?

Apparently, CMx2 lets troops fire through damaged walls.

The fact that this causes confusion in regular intervals is a sign to me that it is a feature that causes more trouble than gain. Personally, I do not like the assumption that the holes in the damaged walls are located so conveniently as to provide useful loop-holes.

Perhaps the logic here is to give soldiers attacked from the flank through a solid wall by HE fire a chance to retaliate?!

Best regards,

Thomm

I have seen other wall oddities. Playing the attacking Amis in Vierville and entering the long row of modular (?) buildings. Some of my units went into one of the buildings that had a door (but the graphics shows them going through the wall part). But then they continue onto through a wooden wall into the attached building. No doors there that I could see. Is that "attached building" just another room? They look like farm buildings.

It makes it very hard to plan tactics when you are not sure how they will traverse these buildings. Any tips?

Thanks,

Gerry