Finally!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why fantasize, I used to do it on road runs all the time in a Leo 1. :)

While not hitting anyone I've seen:

Cars drive into the back of the tank (tank 1, car 0) because the tank had stopped at lights or something and the car hadn't noticed (or expected us to take forever to stop).

Cars in the next lane crash into others because the driver was too busy staring at us and not the car in front.

But the best was a guy in an open topped car, who drove up beside us and was yelling a bunch of abuse, blowing his horn, etc. Four words that he didn't even hear soon shut him up "Gunner, traverse right, depress." ;)

Yes they do but people expect a 42t vehicle (like Leo 1) to take 100m to stop, not in its own length (if necessary). :)

The newset "fun game" is watching vehicles behind your M1 ignore the "don't drive within 20m of the vehicle" sign and then bitch when their car's paint job is blistered by the exhaust from the gas turbine because they were tailgating. :)

When I was stationed in West Germany back in the day there was a US military convoy driving along the roads to return to post from a field exercise of some type or another. Well, apparently a member of the Soviet embassy decided he wanted to have a close look at what the US was driving around in and he kept dodging in and out of the convoy taking pictures. Eventually getting fed up with this behavior two large US trucks coordinated while the Soviet car was between them. The front truck slowed down dramatically while the truck behind him continued on until finally they stopped and trapped the Soviet car between them.

I remember seeing a picture of it when I was in Germany. I don't know for sure if the entire story is true or not, but I do remember people hanging around our Air Defense missile site brazenly taking photographs even while we were looking right at them. There was a small access road of some type that passed along in front of our barren hilltop missile site and they would just drive along the road, stop, get out of their car and just start snapping away like they didn't even care. I think there is picture in the Soviet archives somewhere of me waving at a Soviet spy.

My brother was stationed in Germany in the mid-'50s and while out on the road one day came upon an interesting scene. Apparently a VW was ahead of an American tank and while going through a village had stopped suddenly. Perhaps the tank driver wasn't as attentive as he should have been, but anyway before he stopped he was halfway up the back of the VW. I'm told that the VW's driver evacuated his vehicle without delay!

Michael

No doubt many of y'all have seen or at least heard about the

segment on Top Gear. But the German equivalent show, D Motor, did a segment (which, not surprisingly, is not only no longer on YouTube but never had multiple versions to choose from on the site in the first place) which pitted Sabine Schmitz -- whose nickname is "Queen of the Nürburgring" -- in some sort of souped-up SUV (I forget which make or model) against a Leopard 2A6 in various challenges.