Cool (but useless) feature idea

I was reading the thread about Javelins missing their targets quite a bit, and was thinking to myself that probably more Javelins have been fired in CMSF than in 100 years of their RL usage. I also remember someone saying that more Tiger tanks were fielded in a week of CMx1 than in all of WW2. So, here's my idea, and I realise that the chances of it happening are close to nil, but anyway, here goes.

Charles codes the game engine to count the number of units fielded, and destroyed, and the number of weapons fired. Every once in a while, the engine sends this information to a centralised server, and the BF web site displays a running counter for each game and module. It would be totally cool to see something like CMSF: Marines - 13000 SMAWs fired, etc.

So, shall coolness prevail over gameplay and utility? of course it should! Join me in promoting this awesomely cool and futile feature. Together we can make a difference! ;)

I was reading the thread about Javelins missing their targets quite a bit, and was thinking to myself that probably more Javelins have been fired in CMSF than in 100 years of their RL usage. I also remember someone saying that more Tiger tanks were fielded in a week of CMx1 than in all of WW2. So, here's my idea, and I realise that the chances of it happening are close to nil, but anyway, here goes.

Charles codes the game engine to count the number of units fielded, and destroyed, and the number of weapons fired. Every once in a while, the engine sends this information to a centralised server, and the BF web site displays a running counter for each game and module. It would be totally cool to see something like CMSF: Marines - 13000 SMAWs fired, etc.

So, shall coolness prevail over gameplay and utility? of course it should! Join me in promoting this awesomely cool and futile feature. Together we can make a difference! ;)

Nice attempt at a funny post. But it would be funnier if competitive CMx1 players had actually picked Tigers on a regular basis. At least on the ladders that was very rarely the case. The things just didn't pack enough ammo to justify the ~200 points price, they are slow and if nothing else lose their gun too often.

I also think Steve referenced King Tigers, which have the above problems several times worse.

Nice attempt at a funny post. But it would be funnier if competitive CMx1 players had actually picked Tigers on a regular basis. At least on the ladders that was very rarely the case. The things just didn't pack enough ammo to justify the ~200 points price, they are slow and if nothing else lose their gun too often.

I also think Steve referenced King Tigers, which have the above problems several times worse.

I think that it is amusing enough. But then, I don't care what "competitive CMX1 players" did or do. I dislike the ones that assume importance far and away above their station and try to dictate how the game "should" be played which unfortunately colours my view of the rest.

In my memory it was Sturmtigers initially, then scenarios that had more armoured vehicles than were available in that theatre at the time.

And an even more successful attempt at having the original post sail completely over your head.

Heck, how about some Xbox-esque Acheivements along with something that posts your stats (Wins, Losses, Men & Vehicles lost, # of enemy killed, etc.) on the Forum under your signature.

It would be fun just coming up with Acheivements for Combat Mission....

"Buy one get 1 Free"-Destroy 2 AFVs with one ASPDS shot

"Oh no you didn't!"-Infantry Squad that is hit by fire from a AFV destroys said vehicle within 1 minute

It's gamey, but what the hell.

He may have referenced the KT, but it is/was just as true of *every* weapon included on CMx1 (and now CMSF), from STs, to KTs, to Greyhounds, to Lugers.

That being the case, I don't really know what point it's supposed to be making.

actually, does anyone know if we might be getting in game kill stats for individual units in CM:N; however, I think stats for killed/wounded, kills, and bullets fired would be sweet. I would most definitely have a nerdgasm if we got that.

Who could forget the gloating screenshots of an ace Tiger with impossibly long list of victims in a single engagement :D