• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, and might I say:

*****=female dog

Ass=donkey

Cock=male chicken

2/3, not as bad as I thought. But I really would like the ability to swear back in full, as I regard it a completely valid form of communication.

We can revert to widely known words like hezmana, frell, yotz, mivonks etc when biatching about stuff.

That's because any posts made in the General Discussion forum were dumped.

Does not hurt me much but can't wait to see how much MD's post count is affected.... ;)

The last login will fix itself eventually.

Indeed. Was a bit surprised to see how many decades off it was.

Does not hurt me much but can't wait to see how much MD's post count is affected.... ;)

By an incredible amount, but I'm still towards the top of the list. However, the Members List is disabled so you can't see the comparative "scoring". It's just as well; number of posts means little compared to quality of posts, and I think I've contributed over the years at least as much as some, less than others as far as constructive contributions to the "on-topic" areas.

wbs was asking just recently about my absence. Since I didn't get to give a proper "farewell" let me just say that I truly respected Steve's principled stand on adhering to his own forum rules. I thought the reasoning behind dropping the hammer in my particular instance was murky, but in the end I didn't feel hard done by. For those curious, it was more a personal matter between Steve and myself, and a personal contract between us I felt obligated to break for reasons that he did not accept. I am grateful the matter has not been discussed beyond that. I found it hard to argue with his logic.

I don't imagine the fact my ban has slipped through the cracks is some sort of backdoor clemency so I will leave you in peace with this reminder to the gatekeeper to flip the switch on my account. I enjoyed my time here a great deal, and I wish the new forum good luck, success and long life. I'll see some of you over at Gyrene's.

The icons for read/unread/new topic etc. seem to be needlessly busy and un-iconlike.

Any option to change them to a more minimalist and less cartoon illustration version.

Cool that we can choose the classic colour scheme!

How about classic ubb smilies? Any expanded smilie options possible? The angry smilie is part of forum history mad.gifmad.gif, and to me Steve will always look a bit like this: biggrin.gif. How can we adjust to these changes without flipping out and whatnot.

I changed Elmar's reg date.

The edit time will stay 5 mins. That's enough to spellcheck and will avoid people changing their posts after the fact.

Sometimes people should change their post after the fact. I would vote for an increase to the edit time into the region of a couple of hours rather than five minutes. I often get a bit distracted doing something else and then notice my post makes absolutely no sense and is spelled atroshusley.

Sometimes people should change their post after the fact. I would vote for an increase to the edit time into the region of a couple of hours rather than five minutes. I often get a bit distracted doing something else and then notice my post makes absolutely no sense and is spelled atroshusley.

I'd rather have people check their posts first and think about what they post BEFORE they post it, than increasing the edit time. Might save us one or another fight and/or ban. :rolleyes:

The icons for read/unread/new topic etc. seem to be needlessly busy and un-iconlike.

Any option to change them to a more minimalist and less cartoon illustration version.

How about classic ubb smilies? Any expanded smilie options possible? The angry smilie is part of forum history mad.gif, and to me Steve will always look a bit like this: biggrin.gif. How can we adjust to these changes without flipping out and whatnot.

We plan to add some more templates in the future, which usually come with their own icon and smiley-sets.

How about classic ubb smilies? Any expanded smilie options possible? The angry smilie is part of forum history mad.gifmad.gif, and to me Steve will always look a bit like this: biggrin.gif. How can we adjust to these changes without flipping out and whatnot.

I think the smilies should just go back to the old ones. No technical problem.

Heck, this looks like gamesquad now.

Well, the default vB smilies don't fit well on the UBB classic color scheme anyway, and before I go and fix them it's actually easier to just plug in the old ones. So chances are that's what is going to happen sooner or later. At least for the classic color scheme.

Moon, it only allows you to enter 10000(0?) words per post. I exceeded this straight away, god knows what JasonC is going to do.

IMHO it needs to be at least 3 times the current limit, if not an order of magnitude more.

The minimum post length and minimum search string lengths are both a PITA, i.e. searching for LOS or posting a pithy remark.

Any chance of changing?

I'd rather have people check their posts first and think about what they post BEFORE they post it, than increasing the edit time. Might save us one or another fight and/or ban. :rolleyes:

Oh so true, but there are RL distractions that can make 5 mins a little too short a window. Also the flipside of the coin, changing/editing could also save us a fight/ban by having the ability to change a post when cooler heads prevail.

Yes. Editing posts without limit can cause problems. We have a policy to not even delete threads to make sure that people can follow our decisions regarding moderation etc. and to be able to refute some of the most frequent attacks ("he deleted my post"), so allowing people to edit what they wrote indefinitely is a problem.

The character limit can be a problem that we ran into during the forum imports, and for various maintenance tasks.

I'm baffled at the new restrictions, did I miss some huge problems with the way it used to be?

To reduce server load for the search terms. For the minimum char i/p - I have no idea.

If possible, could we also change the text entry box to be wider? It seems like it's the one bad thing from the old system that's been carried over, and yes I know you can make it longer but why have it so narrow anyway? And the "make box longer arrow" (top right by the A/A) gets forgotten.

BTW how do we give URLs a label?

Not to say I don't like the new system, just getting used to things.

{edit - Moon got there first - HEY, the text box for editing your posts is much better, would be better still if it stayed long}

Yes. Editing posts without limit can cause problems. We have a policy to not even delete threads to make sure that people can follow our decisions regarding moderation etc. and to be able to refute some of the most frequent attacks ("he deleted my post"), so allowing people to edit what they wrote indefinitely is a problem.

The character limit can be a problem that we ran into during the forum imports, and for various maintenance tasks.

I agree up to a certain point, 30 mins seems a lot more reasonable, but like Elmar says, it's not like this was ever a big deal on the old forum.

I will also vote for a 3 character search string, try searching HMG or LOS it is impossible.

And as for the minimum 10 character posts, whatever will Elvis do?

The url tags do automatically come up with the url and title in the code except the default "title" is the url, you just have to manually edit the bit in the "" marks instead of a second dialogue box popping up.

edit: Actually ignore that it doesn't work

Use:

(url=http://www.battlefront.com]Battlefront[/url)

I don't think Elvis is a Kiwi. I, on the the other hand, would be proud to represent my country with honour and dedication, but I'm pretty sure a certain large, red, island nation has that event in a headlock.

I agree up to a certain point, 30 mins seems a lot more reasonable, but like Elmar says, it's not like this was ever a big deal on the old forum.

I will also vote for a 3 character search string, try searching HMG or LOS it is impossible.

And as for the minimum 10 character posts, whatever will Elvis do?

The url tags do automatically come up with the url and title in the code except the default "title" is the url, you just have to manually edit the bit in the "" marks instead of a second dialogue box popping up.

edit: Actually ignore that it doesn't work

Use:

(url=http://www.battlefront.com]Battlefront[/url)

Or use the WYSIWYG editor. It has a button for "Insert Link" which allows you to enter a title for the link, too. I will change the search string minimum to 3.