Is this thing really playable?

Runyan99

I wonder how exactly the auto-resolve feature will work? My point is that some auto-resolved battles might have radically different outcomes to what one would expect from a similar battle played out in CMBB. I can imagine this causing a lot of frustration if you feel that auto-resolve favours the attacker or the defender, or gives higher or lower than expected benefits to the defender for certain types of terrain.

heh, i'm sure the loser will never be happy with the results.

I'd say the auto resolution will be used more for handling peripheral matchups or when the human players bail out of the campaign, as often happens in CM grand tactical campaigns, or if they don't have time to finish their assigned CMBB battles by the deadline set by whoever the organizer is. I think a GM will greatly facilitate the running of the larger CMC campaigns by setting deadlines and managing setup and stuff - ideally the same guy that created the scenario.

Which brings to mind...everyone will be on the honor system not to bypass the ingame communication system and use emails or other comms about the ongoing campaign, I'm pretty sure. Shouldn't be a major problem since these types of games will be played by serious wargamers (in the good campaigns anyway).

Originally posted by MPK:

"I've also got the "Upmanship"

series and the "How to be an

Alien" books."

"Upmanship" as in "Lifemanship" ?

as in Potter, Stephen?

'How to be an Alien' ?!? who wrote 'em?

Yes, the Potter series. Good film too (Terry-Thomas at his most caddish) Actually my father's set, but I forgot to return them...

"How to be an Alien" - George Mikes (a Hungarian emigre to UK)

Originally posted by Renaud:

I'm re-reading Manstein's 'Lost Victories' and it's interesting to see how he personally influenced regimental and even battalion level actions at the front during his tenure as commanding general of 38th Corp. He would show up with his driver and runner in a VW and offer to recon the route ahead for a timid local commander. That usually got them moving. ;) But of course, he couldn't be everywhere at once so this was the exception to the rule.

Likewise, reading it again.

Time to think of sponsoring a CMC campaign soon as per Rumblings of War.

• 8 months later...

I will probably mostly play company or battalion sized campaigns (will the game ship with any small campaigns Moon ?). And when playing I will probably only play out the most important battles in CMBB.

I may also play this game with friends vs the AI, where my different friends handle different units. Could be cool smile.gif .

//Salkin

Im glad that CMC is coming out... now I get to design my own missions and Devestate my enemy in mass!

I think CMC will be great, one of my questions is Air Power, since the scope is larger, will there be more tactical aircraft available. ie... an entire wing of HE-111's or Pe-2's laying waste to suspected enemy fortification or defensive areas, and will this then reflect damage on the battle board as well? Also can you do pre-emptive artilery strikes to suspected enemy defensive areas, and will this damage on terrain and units be reflected in combat on your next move? or am I way out here, and not even close to what CMC is capable of.

[ June 30, 2006, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: Jurgen12/26HJ ]

Originally posted by Jurgen12/26HJ:

Im glad that CMC is coming out... now I get to design my own missions and Devestate my enemy in mass!

I think CMC will be great, one of my questions is Air Power, since the scope is larger, will there be more tactical aircraft available. ie... an entire wing of HE-111's or Pe-2's laying waste to suspected enemy fortification or defensive areas, and will this then reflect damage on the battle board as well? Also can you do pre-emptive artilery strikes to suspected enemy defensive areas, and will this damage on terrain and units be reflected in combat on your next move? or am I way out here, and not even close to what CMC is capable of.

At the moment, there is no pre-emptive artillery fire or air-strikes. They may be fun things to add later, but I don't see them as too critical right now. You can do the pre-bombardment thing in CMBB (happens at the start of the first turn), and airplanes turn up in battles.