Your theory about M-Theory

Could this be a clue that CMSF might at long last show a little forward momentum? Or does it just mean that the're going to have even MORE distractions from building the game?

BFC's just started a new 'secret' Beta board at the bottom of their increasingly long chat group listing. Name: M-Theory (another name for String Theory in Physics, I believe).

It would be sooooo nice if M-Theory was the start of the long awaited CMSF Beta test.

Hungarian Team's Brit-colonial wargame? Well, that's an intriguing piece of new news for me.

Y'know, I've been waiting to take a peek at CMSF's requirements before upgrading my system but BFC keeps producing all these nifty new products that make waiting harder and harder to do. Maybe I should just upgrade to Grognards & Drop Team's requirements and assume that'll cover CMSF as well.

Oh, and did you hear, Microsoft is planning to pull an 'Apple' on us? They've got a whole new OS in the works (and delayed til after Xmas I hear) that may or may not be compatible with products made for their curent OS. Sound familiar?

Oh, and did you hear, Microsoft is planning to pull an 'Apple' on us? They've got a whole new OS in the works (and delayed til after Xmas I hear) that may or may not be compatible with products made for their curent OS. Sound familiar?
What?!! :mad:

Where did you hear that?

Oh, half-overheard on National Public Radio yesterday while doing something else. All I recall is the new more secure OS has been delayed til after next Xmas, which is making retailers unhappy because - like the Apple Intel changeover - who will want to buy a new system for Xmas only to have it go obsolete?

I think the new OS is codenamed 'Longhorn' if you want to google it..

First, not called longhorn, called Vista

Second, there will be 6 different versions.

Third, NOTHING I have has been incompatible with it.

Foruth, I can't say much more, being under NDA. However, CMX2 IS being tested with it.

Rune

[ March 24, 2006, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: rune ]

To be precise, the new Microsoft OS was called Longhorn while it was a development project. The commercial product that will result will be named Vista (not Visa, probably a typo there). According to the NY Times, Microsoft recently pushed back the release date from "late 2006" to after the holiday season. So we are looking at early 2007. I have no idea about whether there will be full back-compatibility or not.

I have the Vista Beta - it is ok - a bit of a hog - a bit buggy, but what's new...

Not sure where this backwards compatibility rumour came from - maybe some things will stop working, like old DOS games or 16 Bit Win 3.1 apps but I've seen no real problems with the few apps that I've tested...

Vista is alledged to be able to run on the new intel Macs with less problems in installation then the current Windows XP on intel debacle.

When Vista runs on intel macs we will have TRUE dual boot systems....

Woo HOO!!!

the next generation of the Mac intel processor should be the 64 bit version, the current first generation intel processors out now are only 32 bit.

I really hope sometime next year my next new (company leased) Mac intel laptop (64 bit intel dual core "something" chip) will be able to dual boot into VISTA with NO problems and no headaches or imcopatiblility issues at all. smile.gif

(maybe)

-tom w