Your thoughts on 1.08

So I finally thought to myself this morning 'when is 1.08 going to come out, oh well, might as well start the campaign again tired of waiting'. Load CM:SF and realize I forgot to update it past 1.06 on my main computer (and I thought something had been weird ...). Bump onto the patch page and thought I was seeing a typo at first.

Yay for 1.08.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just installed patch 1.08 tonight and unfortunately the first thing I tried seemed to have been broken since v1.07.

I loaded up "Paradise Road", which is a scenario I am very familiar with, and attempted to order a convoy of US vehicles down the long road connecting their setup zone with the main enemy-controlled area. I normally do this by placing short "Normal" movement waypoints directly in front of each vehicle, followed by a very long "Quick" movement waypoint for each vehicle several hundred metres further down the road.

This usually has the effect of making the convoy move very smoothly as a single entity down the road. Since 1.08 however, half the vehicles will veer off the road into the desert within seconds of the convoy starting to move. This happened 3 or 4 times in a row before I gave up trying any more attempts.

I hope this doesn't turn out to be a new pathfinding bug, as I was quite happy with the way I could do convoy moment using this technique in v1.07.

I have just tested the air support in the first mission of "In Search of a Ghost" with the new patch.

As the patch notes say, the symbols representing the spotter quality are fixed, which is a good thing and especially helpfull to new players, I guess.

In addition to that, it seems that the Apache is much more precise in attacking a building. Maybe other players can check this out and comment on this. Also, the time between 2 attacks is MUCH shorter, just about 30 secs or so between "coming around" and "attacking". Great work!

Two things that I still miss concerning air support:

1. jet/helicopter sounds

2. a tool tip which tells wich ammo symbol stands for which weapon of the helicopter/aircraft

Just installed patch 1.08 tonight and unfortunately the first thing I tried seemed to have been broken since v1.07.

I loaded up "Paradise Road", which is a scenario I am very familiar with, and attempted to order a convoy of US vehicles down the long road connecting their setup zone with the main enemy-controlled area. I normally do this by placing short "Normal" movement waypoints directly in front of each vehicle, followed by a very long "Quick" movement waypoint for each vehicle several hundred metres further down the road.

This usually has the effect of making the convoy move very smoothly as a single entity down the road. Since 1.08 however, half the vehicles will veer off the road into the desert within seconds of the convoy starting to move. This happened 3 or 4 times in a row before I gave up trying any more attempts.

I hope this doesn't turn out to be a new pathfinding bug, as I was quite happy with the way I could do convoy moment using this technique in v1.07.

I have just tested the air support in the first mission of "In Search of a Ghost" with the new patch.

As the patch notes say, the symbols representing the spotter quality are fixed, which is a good thing and especially helpfull to new players, I guess.

In addition to that, it seems that the Apache is much more precise in attacking a building. Maybe other players can check this out and comment on this. Also, the time between 2 attacks is MUCH shorter, just about 30 secs or so between "coming around" and "attacking". Great work!

1. jet/helicopter sounds

2. a tool tip which tells wich ammo symbol stands for which weapon of the helicopter/aircraft

1. jet/helicopter sounds

Originally posted by meade95:

Question - Will there be an incremental 1.08 patch for Paradox Interactive CMSF versions?

My wife just recently purchased CMSF for me (via Amazon) I belive this to be a Paradox Interactive version (I think?).

Eventually, possibly. But I wouldn't hold your breath. The copy protection Paradox uses is totally different and makes incremental patching difficult, I think.

I could be wrong about this. But suffice it to say there are reasons why I bought the BFC version, even though I probably could have gotten the Pardox version for cheaper. And "supporting the developers" is not one of them.

Question - Will there be an incremental 1.08 patch for Paradox Interactive CMSF versions?

My wife just recently purchased CMSF for me (via Amazon) I belive this to be a Paradox Interactive version (I think?).

Eventually, possibly. But I wouldn't hold your breath. The copy protection Paradox uses is totally different and makes incremental patching difficult, I think.

I could be wrong about this. But suffice it to say there are reasons why I bought the BFC version, even though I probably could have gotten the Pardox version for cheaper. And "supporting the developers" is not one of them.

Not as far as I know.

“The incremental patch is not available for the Paradox Interactive or Gamersgate versions of the game.“

So if you have the BFC version you can go with either the full or incremental version.

If you have Paradox or Gamersgate you go with the full version only.

Not as far as I know.

“The incremental patch is not available for the Paradox Interactive or Gamersgate versions of the game.“

So if you have the BFC version you can go with either the full or incremental version.

Not as far as I know.

Okay - So if I have the Paradox version - Being a new BFC customer what is the usual procedure from here -

Does a "incremental" 1.08 patch....usually see itself be followed by a FULL 1.08 patch in the near future?

If you have the Paradox version you go to announcement above, then go to the updates page (link at the bottom of the announcement) then scroll down to the Paradox section and download it (all 175Mb or whatever).

If you have the BFC version you go to announcement above, then go to the updates page (link at the bottom of the announcement) then scroll down to the BFC section (not as far as the Paradox one) and make a decision as to whether you want the full patch or the incremental and then download whichever one you decided on from the relevant mirror site.

For BFC customers (i.e. people who bought the BFC version) the incremental and full patches are available now.

For Paradox or Gamersgate owners THEIR ONLY OPTION is to download the full version suitable for them. There is no (and there is likely to never be) an incremental patch for that version.

Does that answer your question?

[ April 02, 2008, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: gibsonm ]

Okay - So if I have the Paradox version - Being a new BFC customer what is the usual procedure from here -

Does a "incremental" 1.08 patch....usually see itself be followed by a FULL 1.08 patch in the near future?

If you have the Paradox version you go to announcement above, then go to the updates page (link at the bottom of the announcement) then scroll down to the Paradox section and download it (all 175Mb or whatever).

If you have the BFC version you go to announcement above, then go to the updates page (link at the bottom of the announcement) then scroll down to the BFC section (not as far as the Paradox one) and make a decision as to whether you want the full patch or the incremental and then download whichever one you decided on from the relevant mirror site.

For BFC customers (i.e. people who bought the BFC version) the incremental and full patches are available now.

For Paradox or Gamersgate owners THEIR ONLY OPTION is to download the full version suitable for them. There is no (and there is likely to never be) an incremental patch for that version.

I believe they are saying above not to use the incremental one for the Paradox , they already have a full one out for the Paradox version.

I believe they are saying above not to use the incremental one for the Paradox , they already have a full one out for the Paradox version.