A Bone Is Thrown!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Given the stunning quality of CMBO it was always clear that CMBB would be something special. However, once again, Steve and the team have done even more than I could have hoped for in my wildest dreams. I was so stunned by the high quality of CMBO that I would have called it close to perfect, given current computers. However, if pushed I would have said, indeed did say, that the lack of an assault command, I would call it “skirmishing”, was a minus. Also, brush and wheat field modelling/graphics needed improving. All this has now been done.

Truly can not wait for the release. I feel unbelievably lucky that a team of the quality of Steve and co. set about producing what are my “dream” games.

All the best,

Kip.

PS. One disagreement I have is about the future. Of course, it is not my game, so it is really none of my business. However, I do feel it is a shame that BTS still plan to model the early war in CM4. Given that we are to be so “rationed” in the number of games released, Charles alone to code all of them, is seems a shame to use an entire game on the early war. Just does not interest me at all.For CM4, I would vote for a return to NWE 44-45, then Eatern Front again and so on... However, that may be a fault with me. When CM4 is released I will just go on playing the older versions.

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: kipanderson ]

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: kipanderson ]</p>

Can anyone clarify whether the doodads are actual 3D objects, or just 2D sprites that rotate based on the camera's POV? (like trees are currently done)

It would seem a little freaky to be locked at level 1 onto a unit walking through a graveyard, then notice that the tombstones are _turning_ as you walk past. :eek:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Goanna:

SuperTed, you are a dude. Thanks for the heads up.

Hey BTS, when are you going to start taking pre-orders for this fine piece of kit so that I don't have to wait to get my hands on it while I listen to all the Yankee dogs ooooh and ahhhh over the features? I think a 7 day head start on shipping to your most loyal Australian customers is only reasonable, don't you?

<hr></blockquote>

No plans for pre-orders are expected at this time.

Madmatt

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by von Lucke:

Would one of these new "doodads" include 3-D depictions of rubbled buildings? You know --- jagged walls, broken beams, collapsed roofs --- instead of the current, flat Rubble tile?<hr></blockquote>

Yes, rubble is now a doodad and as such 3D.

Yes, when factories are strung together you do not have to go outside in order to enter a new tile.

Shoot and Scoot is an Armor command. Allows you to designate a position to move to and halt and scan for targets (and engage) and then a position to retreat to. It's a two waypoint command. A Shoot position and a Scoot position.

Advance is a tactical posture with a unit providing covering fire internally and basically leap frogging ahead. Good firepower, moves at the Move rate. Medium Fatigue caused.

Assault is a planned assualt on a location or waypoint. Mucho Firepower, high fatigue and it must be the ONLY command plotted. It is as its name implies, an assualt! Deadly when used correctly. Only good quality troops can do this.

Human Wave: A poor mans assault.

Move to contact: units will move until they spot an enemy unit, then the TacAi assumes control.

Madmatt

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by newlife:

There's wind! I wonder if this means fire might travel now?<hr></blockquote>

Charles recently added spreading fires. Havent seen it myself yet though, but its in there.

Smoke columns (due to fire and brews, not smoke shells) are also blown over in the direction of wind. Smoke, however does not itself drift across the map, thats a little too difficult to model properly due to dispersion etc...The area covered by smoke is already somewhat abstracted so that should not be an issue.

Madmatt

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by James Crowley:

Or am I completely off-base in my thinking here.<hr></blockquote>

Yup, you are. ;) The information is getting out, thats the point. What does it matter if one site gets it 30 seconds before you or not?

Also people seem to forget that we do have a dedicated NEWS page where all this stuff IS being posted. ;)

Check it out once and a while, you might be surprised what you find.

Madmatt

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Madmatt ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

BRING on The DOODADS!!

I can already see user modifiable graphics on head stones in Grave yards smile.gif !!!!

-tom w<hr></blockquote>

Yup. And you can rest assured that I will hound Charles to make just about everything that can be, modable. Doodads already are, as they are just textures.

Madmatt

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Frenchy:

One thought... will the improvements made in CM:BB find themselves at some point incorporated into CM:BO? Just curious...<hr></blockquote>

No, too many core changes. However, we have always said that in the future we will re-approach the Western Front and by then all the changes going into CMBB will seem like child play compared to what we will be able to do then!

Madmatt

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Artillery now has more realistic fire delays based on the formation the artillery is attached to. A Battalion asset will have a much smaller delay than an Army or Corps asset. We also have added Prepatory Barrages and on map mortar vehicles can now benefit from HQ spotted indirect fire just like their unmotorized brethren have been able to do.<hr></blockquote>

I would like to hear more about the new artillery model. How about starshells? Phosphor? Realistic 'off target'? Etc

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by redeker:

Can anyone clarify whether the doodads are actual 3D objects, or just 2D sprites that rotate based on the camera's POV? (like trees are currently done)

It would seem a little freaky to be locked at level 1 onto a unit walking through a graveyard, then notice that the tombstones are _turning_ as you walk past. :eek: <hr></blockquote>

Some are "X" shaped billboard style textures (like trees in some flightsims) and others are flat textures but they retain their positions regardless of the camera. They do not rotate to face the camera like tress do.

That does mean that is possible to see some of the flat ones (open terrain tufts of grass and plants) "edge on" from time to time but the quantity of them usually makes this a non-issue.

You can also set the density of doodads. And Weather and trees (and doodads) now have an added level of density called EXTREME which is impressive to say the least (a little taxing as well, but you get what you pay for).

Madmatt

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by kipanderson:

Hi,

PS. One disagreement I have is about the future. Of course, it is not my game, so it is really none of my business. However, I do feel it is a shame that BTS still plan to model the early war in CM4. Given that we are to be so “rationed” in the number of games released, Charles alone to code all of them, is seems a shame to use an entire game on the early war. Just does not interest me at all.For CM4, I would vote for a return to NWE 44-45, then Eatern Front again and so on... However, that may be a fault with me. When CM4 is released I will just go on playing the older versions.

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: kipanderson ]

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: kipanderson ]<hr></blockquote>

CM3 and CM4 (or in other words the next two CM games) are not confirmed to what we are going to cover as yet. All the plans reported for those games are tentative at best. Yes we do intend to do the Early War and the Med/North Africa but its not decided which will come first or when.

Madmatt

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

Will the hard coded objects in CMBO, such as berets, mortars, bazookas, tracers, be modable in CMBB? I'm sure Maximus wants to know too. ;) <hr></blockquote>

I want them to be, it's all up to Charles though. Somehow I wouldn't count on it. Tracers I am pretty sure WON'T be. I just asked recently and got the big old programmer NO from Charlie. :(

Madmatt

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SuperTed:

Zitadelle,

You could test from the Newbie perspective! tongue.gif <hr></blockquote>

Yes, it would be a chance to ensure that the AI can kick some series butt and not be walked all over like CC3! You also test that the software is robust and can survive an idiot user....